Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 Nations & World Cup 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sherlock simply wasn't picked for World Cup. He played in 6 Nations but TOH was injured for most of it.

He was injured! Also TOH was left out of the 6 Nations team when fit on at least one occasion, definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not sure what you mean by that comment! Are you saying that if Leinster win the Heineken Cup they're not the best team???

Well put it another way then, if Ulster win the Heineken Cup will they be the best team in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

bilston wrote: »
    Well put it another way then, if Ulster win the Heineken Cup will they be the best team in Europe?
    I'd argue that any team winning a Heineken Cup/World Cup/Super 15/ 6 Nations etc etc could justifiably lay claim to being the best team in the competition.
    And, yes, that includes Ulster if they win the final.... although I don't expect them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

profitius wrote: »
    Qualter and Finn are not on that list. They could be injured ormaybe dropped.
    Apparently there's a rumour going around that Qualter was smoking and drinking in the same pub as Mike Ruddock and that's why... I don't see why either would be dropped tbh, Qualter played well in the 6 nations and didn't Conor Finn start almost every game?
    easyeas wrote: »
    Qualter and finn dropped and rightly so. Both not good enough and Buckley wasn't picked for 6 nations but was very impressive in that game against Munster development side. Sherlock will start fullback IMO way better then Leyden or nelson just very unlucky with injuries. Just because Connacht won interpros doesn't guarantee there players a place to south africa
    Both not good enough but played the majority of the 6 nations for Ireland... That makes sense?
    easyeas wrote: »
    From what I've heard
    McCall out for world cup knee surgery
    Leyden out for world cup with broken leg
    Conneelly is injured in a freak accident holding a bag and might have to retire I heard
    Where on earth did you hear all that? Leyden with a broken leg? And that ridiculous statement about Aaron Conneely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

ScareGilly wrote: »
    Apparently there's a rumour going around that Qualter was smoking and drinking in the same pub as Mike Ruddock and that's why... I don't see why either would be dropped tbh, Qualter played well in the 6 nations and didn't Conor Finn start almost every game?

Both not good enough but played the majority of the 6 nations for Ireland... That makes sense?

Where on earth did you hear all that? Leyden with a broken leg? And that ridiculous statement about Aaron Conneely?

it isn't the first time he's made up stuff about Connacht players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

ScareGilly wrote: »
    and didn't Conor Finn start almost every game?

After Barry Daly injured himself. Now that Sherlock is back, there's probably just no room for him.

George Ford was man of the match in the Premiership semi final. He was born in 1993!

I'd imagine he'll be in the English squad for the JWC unless he travels with the senior squad. Just makes an already strong team even stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

George Ford was man of the match in the Premiership semi final. He was born in 1993!

I'd imagine he'll be in the English squad for the JWC unless he travels with the senior squad. Just makes an already strong team even stronger.

Pretty sure he isnt going on either and is staying home to be conditioned, or something like that.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Pretty sure he isnt going on either and is staying home to be conditioned, or something like that.

I suppose he's been playing for the 20s since he was 17 so they might leave it to someone else and fast track him for senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Hagz wrote: »
    After Barry Daly injured himself. Now that Sherlock is back, there's probably just no room for him.

Ahh right, cheers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

IrishRugby TV videos with Conor Gilsenan here, Luke McGrath here and Jack Conan here

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RuggaBugga

The boys seem confident.. Call me ambitious, but i think we can pull of an upset and make it to the finals..

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

I think the bulk of the English and presumably SA will be too much. They are talented but that English match was men against boys

RuggaBugga wrote: »
    The boys seem confident.. Call me ambitious, but i think we can pull of an upset and make it to the finals..

Your ambitious.

Haha, so i'm assuming that there's not even the smallest inkling of hope in you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

What is happening with regard to Paddy Jackson? There was a story in the Irish Times on Wednesday that Ulster wanted to withdraw him from the squad. If so, who is Mike Ruddock likely to bring in? Is Cathal Marsh back to full fitness as he had to miss the trial match against the Munster Development XV a couple of weeks ago? I would not like to see Hanrahan moved from 12 to 10 as it would upset the balance of the backline.

What is happening with regard to Paddy Jackson? There was a story in the Irish Times on Wednesday that Ulster wanted to withdraw him from the squad. If so, who is Mike Ruddock likely to bring in? Is Cathal Marsh back to full fitness as he had to miss the trial match against the Munster Development XV a couple of weeks ago? I would not like to see Hanrahan moved from 12 to 10 as it would upset the balance of the backline.

I would imagine if fit Cathal Marsh would be 10 in that case with support from Olding and Hanrahan in whatever order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Layden out of the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

its_phil wrote: »
    Layden out of the tournament

Bugger!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I suppose he's been playing for the 20s since he was 17 so they might leave it to someone else and fast track him for senior level.

U20 since he was 17 and senior rugby since he was 16! Think it's the right call to keep him off the radar and working on his conditioning. He's still very lightweight despite his talent. Another summer in the spotlight will just increase the hype around him. As the current IRB young player of year, he'd be a marked man also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Jackson pulled from squad apparently.

http://thefrontrowunion.com/2012/05/jwc2012-jackson-pulled-from-ireland-u20-squad/

Marsh, Hanrahan and Olding all capable of playing 10 but losing Jackson is a big loss to the team's chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

If Jackson and Layden are both out then surely Ruddock will have to bring one or two more in - for backup if nothing else. They are bound to pick up some more injuries in the course of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Sucks for Jackson!

That seems a bit selfish to stop him from going because he'll miss some of pre season. I mean it's a world cup. I think our already slim chances are now non existent without Jackson.

Cheers Ulster. Way to take one for the team

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Sucks for Jackson!

That seems a bit selfish to stop him from going because he'll miss some of pre season. I mean it's a world cup. I think our already slim chances are now non existent without Jackson.

Cheers Ulster. Way to take one for the team

We had no chance whether Jackson was there or not. Most Leinster fans I spoke to at the final were happy to tell me that Marsh is better anyway!

Seriously though Jackson has played in a JWC and appears to be Ulsters first choice 10 and has played in a HEC final, would someone like Marsh not benefit more playing in a JWC? It also means Olding might get a game as well.

Having said that on an individual level I would argue the best thing for Jackson would be to get straight back on the horse after the HEC final but if he's going to be Ulster's first choice 10 then you can understand their thinking.

It's a big loss to lose Paddy, but I honestly think that Marsh can do as well a job if not better than what Paddy would have done. Besides, Paddy is rather inconsistent.

So England, Ireland and South Africa have all lost their first choice flyhalves for this tournament :D it shall be interesting..

• Advertisement

It's a big loss to lose Paddy, but I honestly think that Marsh can do as well a job if not better than what Paddy would have done. Besides, Paddy is rather inconsistent.

So England, Ireland and South Africa have all lost their first choice flyhalves for this tournament :D it shall be interesting..

There you go then, nothing to worry about...Ireland don't need Jackson...Marsh is the man

l lost their first choice flyhalves for this tournament :D it shall be interesting..

are you ruggerbugger 67

are you ruggerbugger 67

Nope.

Nope.

Oh, just a coincidence then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I like Marsh n all. I think he's got something about him, he's a clever footballer and has that 'x factor' about him.. having said that, there's probably a good reason he doesn't even start on the Leinster A games. He likes to link up in the midfield and as I said can be clever in that regard, but the chap is tiny and looks suspiciously out of place on a rugby field. Not that he won't bulk up, it's just I think he'd be easily targeted by better conditioned teams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

.ak wrote: »
    I like Marsh n all. I think he's got something about him, he's a clever footballer and has that 'x factor' about him.. having said that, there's probably a good reason he doesn't even start on the Leinster A games. He likes to link up in the midfield and as I said can be clever in that regard, but the chap is tiny and looks suspiciously out of place on a rugby field. Not that he won't bulk up, it's just I think he'd be easily targeted by better conditioned teams.
    C Marsh always has been tiny. he was when playing minis rugby in bective rangers as a 7 and 8 year old and dont think size has ever been an issue for him when playing all through schools rugby or now at adult level. size will only really affect him oif he plays at the very top level

His size is a BIG problem, I can see opposition teams picking his channel to run through a lot. It shouldn't be much of a problem on attack if our forwards secure good ball for him to work with..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Marsh is 5'10" and almost 12st 8lb. The same size as George Ford! He was excellent against England last year even though Ireland took a hammering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Mathew Morgan is only 5'8" and less than 12 stone. Marsh is small but not prohibitively so. Hope he gets the nod, very gifted player but well down the ranks at Leinster so could do with the exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

From a Munster point of view I'd like to see JJ at ten. Really think he has the attributes for the position and we're badly in need of an exciting young ten

shuffol wrote: »
    Mathew Morgan is only 5'8" and less than 12 stone. Marsh is small but not prohibitively so. Hope he gets the nod, very gifted player but well down the ranks at Leinster so could do with the exposure.

Matthew Morgan is too small though!

Not that I think Marsh is too small for u20s. Morgan was brilliant at u20s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

How on earth is 5'10 too small for a back? Dan Carter, Wilkinson, BOD are all 5'10, as is Paddy Jackson by the way. Even Madigan is 5'9 and he is twice the defender than a 6 foot ROG. It would be crazy to write Marsh off for being that height. Defence is all about courage and technique and from what I've seen of him he has those qualities.

Anyway it is a poor move to remove PJ from the tour. The best thing for him after the H Cup final would have been to play rugby again.

Layden is a big loss but the return of Peter Nelson should make up for it.

I think the team could surprise a few people out there. Furlong is a massive addition to the front row and I can see us causing an upset against England or the Boks. This is a good group of players, although lacking the sort of top quality backs which we have been lucky enough to have in recent years.

Marsh isn't imposing. He has a slight build and struggled to bulk up from what I have heard.

It's so frustrating that the game may be heading in the direction of losing guys like Reid and Marsh to guys of superior size but far less ability.

Marsh reminds me of Paddy Wallace tbh. Tricky, incredibly smart, but just looks like he's going to get hurt out there. He's a serious talent though, but may need a year off to eat and lift weights :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

10 Hanrahan
    12 Farrell
    13 Daly

is far less likely to get eaten alive than Marsh and Hanrahan in midfield.

15 Nelson
    14 Sherlock
    11 Coughlan Murray

would be how I would complete the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Hype710 wrote: »
    10 Hanrahan
    12 Farrell
    13 Daly

I'd really like to see a Hanrahan-Farrell 10-12 axis. With the way things are going, we are going to need a big b*astard at 12 going forward and Farrell fits the bill perfectly. I'm not too fussed if Hanrahan plays 10 or 12 as long as he plays, but from a Munster point of view I'd like to see him do well at 10 in the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I'd really like to see a Hanrahan-Farrell 10-12 axis. With the way things are going, we are going to need a big b*astard at 12 going forward and Farrell fits the bill perfectly. I'm not too fussed if Hanrahan plays 10 or 12 as long as he plays, but from a Munster point of view I'd like to see him do well at 10 in the tournament.

There is one or two on the way from this years U18 schools team..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

boynesider wrote: »
    How on earth is 5'10 too small for a back? Dan Carter, Wilkinson, BOD are all 5'10, as is Paddy Jackson by the way. Even Madigan is 5'9 and he is twice the defender than a 6 foot ROG.

ROG's measurements are 'beyond' normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

Actually I forgot that Sherlock is back. Pity Layden is injured because a back 3 of him, Sherlock and Nelson would have been very exciting, although they would all be more natural fullbacks than wingers.

I would also like to see Hanrahan at 10. He is the sort of player you want with the ball as much as possible. I think Farrell is better off at 12 as he has always looked very awkward positionally at 13 whenever I've seen him play.

Hype710 wrote: »
    10 Hanrahan
    12 Farrell
    13 Daly

is far less likely to get eaten alive than Marsh and Hanrahan in midfield.

15 Nelson
    14 Sherlock
    11 Coughlan Murray

would be how I would complete the backline.

That looks like the best possible line up.

Seeing that we start with South Africa and then England, who should we play our strongest team against? We have to rotate the team and rest some players, but against who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

That looks like the best possible line up.

I thought Daly was a wing ?

thebaz wrote: »
    I thought Daly was a wing ?

He plays centre and wing, his got the size for it too.. Played there for the u20s against Leinster Development in December

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread - Ml Corcoran tweeted
    TG4 to show @irfurugby games at Junior World Cup, 4/6 South Africa 545pm, 8/6 England 545pm and 12/6 Italy 145pm, Irish time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I don't care if I speak Gaelige at a pass level Junior Cert at best, I love TG4's dedication to show us Rugger-bay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

It is on Sky Sports too right?

Advertisement