Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf prices January 2012

• 17-10-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what you think calf prices will be next Spring.

I'm in the market for Angus/hereford calves off British friesin cows.
    Problem is I reckon alot more people are too.

I'm thinking I'll end up paying 250- 300 a piece for these type of calfs.
    I was thinking of buying in Bandon or new Mart in fermoy in Cork.
    Always seem to be a fair few calfs go through those marts.

Heres a question, is it possible to tell if the calves are from a british friein or holstein when they are that young..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering what you think calf prices will be next Spring.

I'm in the market for Angus/hereford calves off British friesin cows.
    Problem is I reckon alot more people are too.

I'm thinking I'll end up paying 250- 300 a piece for these type of calfs.
    I was thinking of buying in Bandon or new Mart in fermoy in Cork.
    Always seem to be a fair few calfs go through those marts.

Heres a question, is it possible to tell if the calves are from a british friein or holstein when they are that young..?
    i think you will probably end up paying a bit more for those type of calves as quota will play a big part in calf prices ,the answer to your last question is if you are a good judge of an animal you should be able to spot them although some can be decieving ,the trick to this is have your homework done on the farmers who sell there ,talk to other farmers etc you can learn alot chatting at the mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say prices will stay high until the next quota year, hopefully they will ease then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

You will have some fun trying to buy calves at the any mart. The dealers will make sure you pay over what a calf is worth if you start bidding against them. Your best chance is to buy calves from farmers out of the yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

You will have some fun trying to buy calves at the any mart. The dealers will make sure you pay over what a calf is worth if you start bidding against them. Your best chance is to buy calves from farmers out of the yard.
    but with prices so strong at the mart alot of farmers are going to go there to get what they can, i was shocked the difference between what i was getting at home and what you can get in the mart, nearly double

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Your best chance is to buy calves from farmers out of the yard.
    I found this year that mostly the calves available ex yard were those which wouldn'y do well at the mart... as whelan says, prices were so good in the mart it was well worth while bringing a few calves in..

• Advertisement
Advertisement