Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First hospital appointment at 16 weeks?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

hi

just booked into holles street public - have my first hospital appointment at almost 16 weeks at the end of december, is that normal? i thought it would be sooner?

first time going through this, so really a bit clueless about the whole thing!

i'd be grateful if anyone could shed some light on it for me :)

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Snabe - I got my appointment for December too - I will be 16+4 on the day its scheduled, and my GP wrote that it was a multiple pregnancy, (thanks to an early private scan) plus I have a hormonal issue that requires closer monitoring in pregnancy.

Sadly I lost one of my litte twins (again on a second private scan this was discovered) so now I'm gonna start fighting my corner and make sure I get referred to the early pregnancy unit.

It would be interesting to see in other parts of the country what kind of waiting times are common, so here's mine:

Galway, UCHG, Public, 16+4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

good idea Neyite! I'd like to add mine (even though it was in July) - cause I couldn't believe how late that scan was...

Galway, UCHG, public, 20+3.

Neyite - did you ring them to get an earlier scan with your history?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Snabe

oh no, i'm so sorry, that's so awful about one of your little twins :(

i thought 16 weeks was a very long time to be pregnant without seeing anyone to confirm everything's ok - the baby's heartbeat, my blood pressure etc., i guess i can go to my gp if i'm worried, but still. i thought the first hospital appointment would be around the 12 week mark.

i'm planning on getting an early scan at about 12 weeks in babyscan or somewhere to make sure everything is developing ok - that'd be end november/start december.
    i'm not sure when i'll have my official scan in the hospital but i guess it would be 20 weeks or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I was attending Holles St last year and didn't get an appointment until I was 16 weeks pregnant. I'm pregnant again and going back to Holles St. This time I'll be 17 weeks at my first appointment.

It's not ideal but it's because they are so busy.

I went to gp when I 6 weeks pregnant. She's asked me to come back every 4 weeks. I was attending a different gp last year and she said the same. Both checked by blood pressure, weight gain and urine at each visit. They checked the baby's heartbeat after 12 weeks.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

galah wrote: »
    Neyite - did you ring them to get an earlier scan with your history?

I did, she suggested my GP refer me to the early pregnancy unit so popping into my GP in the morning before work to sort that out. :) I can't see my GP refusing to be honest, she is very pro-active.

We are gonna get a home doppler too, just for added peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

i was 12+5 which changed to 13+1 after scan
    Mayo General Hospital, castlebar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

I had first n only BIG scan at nearly 13 weeks according to gp dates, then my dates changed to 14+3 so it seems normal. I had my booking appointment this day also.

My next appointment was 23 weeks at CUMH.
    Then 32 weeks, 36 weeks n my next appointment is 39 weeks( fingers crossed I won't make it) :)

I was attending my gp every 4 weeks in between, then every 2 weeks from about week 30 and from about week 34 , every week.
    I think these appointments depend on your gp practice though

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

had a private scan at 8 weeks

then called for first appointment with consultant at 10 weeks, next appointment was at 15 weeks and fetal assessment scan at 22 weeks and back to consultant at 24 weeks with doctors appointments in between

Private
    Mullingar, Westmeath

Advertisement