Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours left pet Rabbit after moving away

• 17-10-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Neighbours up the road have moved away and left abandoned their pet Rabbit. 'Bunny Carr' as we have started to call him emerges from the neighbours garden every evening and some afternoons for about the last week or so. Ourselves and another neighbour are concerned for the welfare of this rabbit, it seems happy enough as we are in a quite cul-de-sac with little traffic but still winter etc is coming. It sits eating grass across from our house annoying the be-jayus out of our jack russell who wants to become more intimately acquainted with it.

Obviously with our jack russell there is no way we could take it in, is there anywhere around Swords North Co.Dublin where we could leave it. It is a beautiful greyish colour and while it scampers away if you get too close, it was cared for and seems freindly enough. Any tips for in the short term what we could do for it, we're leaving out some veggies but with the cold evenings we will soon be having I'm worried about it's welfare.

How when the time comes might I be able to catch him, without doing it any harm. Our dog Milly is really getting annoyed that Bunny Carr is able to mock her from outside the front window. So sooner rather than later we'll have to move it on, I'm terrified our Milly will get to introduce herself, jack russell style.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    It is a beautiful greyish colour and while it scampers away if you get too close, it was cared for and seems freindly enough.

Are you sure its a pet and not a wild rabbit thats wandered in? Have you seen it in a hutch before or have you seen the ex neighbours interacting with it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Irishchick wrote: »
    Are you sure its a pet and not a wild rabbit thats wandered in? Have you seen it in a hutch before or have you seen the ex neighbours interacting with it??

Yeah it's definately a pet (seen enough wild rabbits and hares in work to know the difference), as you can walk right up to it before it scampers rather than run full flight away from you. The house concerned is a bit up the road and has been empty with a for sale sign for the last two weeks. We didn't know the people there personally but as we can't see over the fence I don't know if there is a hutch.

At the moment I'm more concerned that in the long term is it right to allow a pet rabbit to live 'rough'. I'm hopeful that if there is an animal welfare spot close by that the rabbit will find a good home. Sooner rather than later Bunny Carr will meet Milly or another neighbourhood dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could you catch the bun and put it in it for now and provide food until you can sort something? Do you have a cat carrier or a dog crate, dog crates make good bunny houses esp. for temporary situations.

It's vital the rabbit is caught straight away and placed somewhere safe, and fed and watered. After that worry about finding somewhere for it, you'll find somewhere quick enough contact the irish rabbit club and DSPCA and other rescues in your area. The DSPCA will put rabbits to sleep if they have no room so ensure they have room first and that they will home the rabbit.

Perhaps someone on here living near by could help?

Rabbits need a constant supply of food, the grass is ok but there are other dangers out there plus it's getting cold at night. The longer the bun is left outside to roam the more wild she will become..we're talking a couple of days or weeks and the rabbit will start becoming more edgy so it's important the rabbit is caught soon.

If you have a spare room and to put the rabbit temporarily and shut the door/lock the door so the dog can't get in?

Time is of the essence so if you can take the bun in just for a couple of days, they really are no trouble. Dogs can be an issue esp. terrier types that love to chase rabbits but just keep the rabbit out of harms way for a few days. Someone is bound to come forward to help.

Shame on the neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I know its a bit chilly for this but if you can sit out with something nice, some carrot or cabbage leaf, bit of apple, and see if you can catch it. Put it in a box (those plastic toy boxes or the like will do, with something on top) with a bit of hay.

Try google for rescues

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moses13

What I have done in the past is to put out veggies in same place for 3 or 4 days then put them in a cat trap. It worked every time. Any rescue should be able to lend you a trap.
    Maybe you will get help with rehoming on this site;
    http://www.irishrabbits.proboards.com/index.cgi
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Irish-Rabbit-Forum/230054177025073
    good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

<snip>

We are in swords but already have 3 guinea pigs and don't have enough room for a rabbit. They also can't be housed together which is unfortunate.

If I can think of a way to fit the bunny in here I'll pm you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Domesticated rabbits are not the same as the ones running around in the wild. They won't last long on their own and as you rightly point out, the cold that arrived today could kill him in a day or so.

A lot of people mistakenly believe that if you set them free in the wild, they'll figure it out. They won't :( He's probably been fortunate enough for the moment with the warm weather and a supply of grass.

If you can even manage to catch him and keep him out of the wind and rain in a shed until you can find someone to take him, that would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

If you or any of your other neighbours know the names and possibly the new address of these scumbags, I'm sure the DSPCA can make a case againt them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Shame on the owners.

Rabbits generally do very well with the cold if they are used to it gradually. I would be more worried about a predator getting the rabbit.

Would the DSPCA really take it further if they found out who the owners are..not sure myself when they don't have a no kill policy for rabbits themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Would the DSPCA really take it further if they found out who the owners are..not sure myself when they don't have a no kill policy for rabbits themselves.

From the website......

"The Dublin SPCA has a dedicated and trained force of Animal Welfare Inspectors.

The Inspectors' primary role is as follows:
    • To investigate complaints of cruelty and neglect.
    • To provide guidance and education to animal owners where necessary.
    • To initiate prosecutions for offences.
    • To attend to sick and injured stray animals or those which have been abandoned.
    If you wish to report an act of cruelty or neglect or if you are concerned for the welfare of an animal, please contact us at 01 4994700"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Rang the DSPCA this morning and unfortunatly as it's an adult rabbit it will more than likely be put to sleep as adults are very rarely adopted.

As it appears to be reasonably happy for the moment, I don't think I could give it up to be put to sleep. Will hold out for a while and see if any body is willing to take an adult rabbit.

The DSPCA were very informative as to how to catch it, and they were good enough to say that as it becomes more acustomed to us we should be able to keep a closer eye on it.

Thanks for all the replies and I'll keep ye informed as to how we get on.

So I wonder what the ratio cats and dogs in the DSPCA center versus rabbits? Think I'll contact them to find out exactly what the numbers are, maybe come up with some suggestions not sure if it will help but think it's a shame that rabbits are automatically pts when really they are not as expensive or as much trouble to house in a rescue as a dog for example. They are cheap to feed and house compared to a dog or cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

So I wonder what the ratio cats and dogs in the DSPCA center versus rabbits? Think I'll contact them to find out exactly what the numbers are, maybe come up with some suggestions not sure if it will help but think it's a shame that rabbits are automatically pts when really they are not as expensive or as much trouble to house in a rescue as a dog for example. They are cheap to feed and house compared to a dog or cat.

its a case of room vs. staff out there at the moment. they are over run with animals and the huge job cuts out there wont help a bit. its a terrible shame for all the hard work the staff do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ei8dqb

If you can catch the rabbitt bring <snip> If you do not know how to pick up the rabbitt you should hold it in one hand by grasping it at the base of its ears, this will not hurt it in any way.
    <snip> dose not charge but would be greatful of a donation.
    Hopes this helps
    Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

ei8dqb wrote: »
    If you can catch the rabbitt bring it to Lynn in the Animal Shelter in Collon. Lynn will keep it there until she can find a home for it. If you do not know how to pick up the rabbitt you should hold it in one hand by grasping it at the base of its ears, this will not hurt it in any way.
    Lynn dose not charge but would be greatful of a donation.
    Hopes this helps
    Kieran

Im no rabbit expert but i dont think that's the best way to pick them up.

Hi
    I would like to hear from other people on this. I keep rabbits for over 10 years and this was the way I was tought to handle a rabbit. It is like lifting a cat by the back of the neck. The Rabbit should remain calm and never showed any sign of distress.
    I would never do anything to harm an amimal in any way. So I realy hope I was not doing anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

ei8dqb wrote: »
    If you do not know how to pick up the rabbitt you should hold it in one hand by grasping it at the base of its ears, this will not hurt it in any way.

It may be your wording of it. Scoop the rabbit up supporting its hind paws and bum, and with the other hand by the scruff of the neck. Did you mean to say that? A rabbit should never ever be picked up by its ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

And I would have thought that you shouldn't pick a cat (or dog) up by the scruff either? I could be wrong though?

• Advertisement

I think you are wrong about a cat. Ever seen the mother cat carry a kitten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can't scruff a cat or dog after about 6 months. A kitten weighs nothing, skin is strong. An older cat/dog weighs 20 times more than a young one, but the skin isn't 20 times stronger.
    The animal's physiology also changes as it grows, so that skin is tighter across the neck when they're older, grabbing it hard enough to get a grip can damage the underlying connections.
    Grabbing the scruff to control them is different to picking them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

seamus wrote: »
    You can't scruff a cat or dog after about 6 months. A kitten weighs nothing, skin is strong. An older cat/dog weighs 20 times more than a young one, but the skin isn't 20 times stronger.

That's what I thought but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Banned.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ellis Dee banned for 1 week.

Ideally with a roaming rabbit to avoid stress luring it in to a carrier or getting in to a smaller section of the garden then rounding it up aiming him/her towards the carrier would be better and probably quicker than running around like a headless chicken trying to catch him/her it would only stress the rabbit out more.

Don't pick the bun up by the base of the ears just because this is the way it was done years ago doesn't mean things don't change.

Here is a link on how to do it correctly, as I said though luring the rabbit would probably be safer and easier all round.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

OP has the rabbit been sorted or are you still having trouble getting someone to take it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Ideally with a roaming rabbit to avoid stress luring it in to a carrier or getting in to a smaller section of the garden then rounding it up aiming him/her towards the carrier would be better and probably quicker than running around like a headless chicken trying to catch him/her it would only stress the rabbit out more.

Don't pick the bun up by the base of the ears just because this is the way it was done years ago doesn't mean things don't change.

Here is a link on how to do it correctly, as I said though luring the rabbit would probably be safer and easier all round.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/handling.asp

OP has the rabbit been sorted or are you still having trouble getting someone to take it??

Thanks for that. I was taught the scruff of the neck with hind paws method by vet 25yrs ago!! My poor bun.

Things have changed so much in the past few years we're starting to slowly catch up with the UK when it comes to treating rabbits and other smallies.
    There's new methods popping up all the time always something new, esp. when it comes to health care.

Advertisement