Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions RE buying a Camper/Insurance/travelling throughout Europe

• 17-10-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully ye guys can be of some help to me as I've a few queries. I've got a good bit of information reading through the forum but got slightly worried reading through one or two of the threads so said I'd start this one to clear up some stuff.

All going well, there will be six of us travelling across Europe next year in either an 8 Seater minibus or a Camper/converted camper (Most likely this or something similar: http://www.flogeverything.com/viewlisting.php?view=39) )- as long as Ireland beat Estonia :o

The Camper itself is soley for the European trip and will only be used for a few trips around Ireland afterwards I'd say.

The questions I have are as follows:

*Do you think if we bought something like in the link above (around the €2000-3000 mark) we would need to put a lot more money into it to get around Europe? (I know it's a very general question and next to impossible to answer but from seen the thread with comments suggesting you'd need to be paying a lot more for a decent camper, I said I'd ask).

*after seeing the signature Buford T Justice: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056060300, I'm wondering would it be better to buy a van and convert it ourselves rather than buy a camper for around the €2,000 mark?

*In relation to the converted campers, am I right in thinking there would have to be 6 seats, with 6 seat belts if 6 of us were travelling in it?
    - Would it be easy enough to fix additional seats into a camper?

*If anyone has ever bought a Campervan that hadn't a DOE, have ye ever bought it "subject to passing a DOE"? - How likely would it be to get the seller to agree to this?

*RE Insurance. We would be hoping for 3 or 4 people to drive throughout the trip. I know the insurance is around the €350 mark, but does anyone know if this only allows one person to drive it, and if so would you know if it is possible to get other people insured on it?

*RE Insurance again, does the insurance policies offered by Dolmen/Stuart/the one with the motorclub of Ireland allow you to drive on the continent or is it just for driving in Ireland?

*Finally, If a camper is resprayed, is it likely to reduce the selling price of the camper? We'll probably be painting it before we head off, if Ireland get to the Euros :) and I'm wondering will this ruin any chance of selling it afterwards.

Thanks for your help. (If any of the above have already been answered previously, I apologise. I've searched but haven't found the exact answers I was looking for).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

looder wrote: »
    Hi,

Hopefully ye guys can be of some help to me as I've a few queries. I've got a good bit of information reading through the forum but got slightly worried reading through one or two of the threads so said I'd start this one to clear up some stuff.

All going well, there will be six of us travelling across Europe next year in either an 8 Seater minibus or a Camper/converted camper (Most likely this or something similar: http://www.flogeverything.com/viewlisting.php?view=39) )- as long as Ireland beat Estonia :o

The Camper itself is soley for the European trip and will only be used for a few trips around Ireland afterwards I'd say.

The questions I have are as follows:

*Do you think if we bought something like in the link above (around the €2000-3000 mark) we would need to put a lot more money into it to get around Europe? (I know it's a very general question and next to impossible to answer but from seen the thread with comments suggesting you'd need to be paying a lot more for a decent camper, I said I'd ask).

As you say, its a general question. It depends on the condition of the van itself, the amount of repairs needed, any improvements you want to make internally - so on and so forth. Not to mention getting it repainted if you were so inclined.
    *after seeing the signature Buford T Justice: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056060300, I'm wondering would it be better to buy a van and convert it ourselves rather than buy a camper for around the €2,000 mark?
    Depends on a number of factors really. Dedication to keeping a build going, level of skills at multiple trades, knowledge, plans, etc etc...

With 6 adults you are going to be very very cramped in a campervan, so layout and planning is essential. You may be better off with a coachbuilt as they will allow people to sleep across the van, any panel van will most likely have you sleeping lengthways as its too narrow.

*In relation to the converted campers, am I right in thinking there would have to be 6 seats, with 6 seat belts if 6 of us were travelling in it?
    - Would it be easy enough to fix additional seats into a camper?
    If there's 6 people travelling, then you'd need 6 belts. Can be easily retrofitted, but it depends on the van and location of fixing points etc...
    *If anyone has ever bought a Campervan that hadn't a DOE, have ye ever bought it "subject to passing a DOE"? - How likely would it be to get the seller to agree to this?

Depends. If someone is selling a van without a doe, then they are likely just looking to get shot of it. Expect to pay more money for a van with a DOE certificate.
    *RE Insurance. We would be hoping for 3 or 4 people to drive throughout the trip. I know the insurance is around the €350 mark, but does anyone know if this only allows one person to drive it, and if so would you know if it is possible to get other people insured on it?

Insurance is increased to €388 with open drive, on the conditions of full licence... over 25 etc......
    *RE Insurance again, does the insurance policies offered by Dolmen/Stuart/the one with the motorclub of Ireland allow you to drive on the continent or is it just for driving in Ireland?
    Yes, Dolmens cover european driving, with some exclusions. Check their site, their full list of exclusions and conditions listed with the policy
    *Finally, If a camper is resprayed, is it likely to reduce the selling price of the camper? We'll probably be painting it before we head off, if Ireland get to the Euros :) and I'm wondering will this ruin any chance of selling it afterwards.

Now, in fairness if you paint is luminous pink then you may have a bit of difficulty shifting it on, but if you repainted it to a nice colour then it should improve it a bit.
    Thanks for your help. (If any of the above have already been answered previously, I apologise. I've searched but haven't found the exact answers I was looking for).
    Welcome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

As you say, its a general question. It depends on the condition of the van itself, the amount of repairs needed, any improvements you want to make internally - so on and so forth. Not to mention getting it repainted if you were so inclined.

Depends on a number of factors really. Dedication to keeping a build going, level of skills at multiple trades, knowledge, plans, etc etc...

With 6 adults you are going to be very very cramped in a campervan, so layout and planning is essential. You may be better off with a coachbuilt as they will allow people to sleep across the van, any panel van will most likely have you sleeping lengthways as its too narrow.

If there's 6 people travelling, then you'd need 6 belts. Can be easily retrofitted, but it depends on the van and location of fixing points etc...

Depends. If someone is selling a van without a doe, then they are likely just looking to get shot of it. Expect to pay more money for a van with a DOE certificate.

Insurance is increased to €388 with open drive, on the conditions of full licence... over 25 etc......

Yes, Dolmens cover european driving, with some exclusions. Check their site, their full list of exclusions and conditions listed with the policy

Now, in fairness if you paint is luminous pink then you may have a bit of difficulty shifting it on, but if you repainted it to a nice colour then it should improve it a bit.

Welcome :D

Thanks for all the help, it's really much appreciated. It'll hopefully be painted green, white and orange for the trip (that or some other random country's colour if we have to adopt them if Ireland fail to beat the mighty Estonia :))
    It'll be sprayed/painted white or black when we get back if it's to be sold on.

I was thinking we might be a little bit too cramped myself. We could possibly go the route of an 8seater hiace style mini bus as it would be an awful lot less hassle (but less craic than a camper too) :)

Thanks again and I hope your DIY job is still going smoothly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I would by something coach built - at least it won't have has the ass driven out of it. Then get decals made up and stuck on. It would be one hell of a trip.

Advertisement