Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda waste price increase.

Options
  • 17-10-2011 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have switched to panda about two weeks ago, paid 88 up front and 6.40 per black bin.

I was on their site looking to see when the green bin is collected and out of interest i checked their prices and they are now the same as fingal 110 upfront and 8 per black bin.

Dirty rip off monopoly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

:eek::eek::eek: i just checked it out :eek: why such an high increase ....

wonder if any one else in the area will do a pick up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Well Panda took over Fingal Co Co's collections so they have to standardize the cost across the range.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Is that for everyone or just the new customers they took over from FCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

robertxxx wrote: »
    Hi,

I have switched to panda about two weeks ago, paid 88 up front and 6.40 per black bin.

I was on their site looking to see when the green bin is collected and out of interest i checked their prices and they are now the same as fingal 110 upfront and 8 per black bin.

Dirty rip off monopoly.

Will you still be charged the 6.40 for the year or will they charge you the 8 per lift? My renewal is not until April so I'm still on the 23.50 euro per month tarriff for all collections... hopefully there's another company in the mix come next year and they are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Yeah, my renewal is January 12, at the moment I am not paying per lift at all, just per annum. Balls.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Is that for everyone or just the new customers they took over from FCC?

No that's for everyone. FCC's collection has been privatised a month or so ago.

T-Maxx wrote: »
    No that's for everyone. FCC's collection has been privatised a month or so ago.

No it hasn't, it's being privatised on the 31st of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well Panda took over Fingal Co Co's collections so they have to standardize the cost across the range.

They killed the competition, so no point having low prices now.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

January wrote: »
    Will you still be charged the 6.40 for the year or will they charge you the 8 per lift?

This is the question I want answered - different people on different tariffs?

I got the notification in the door today of the switch to Panda.
    I didn't switched to Panda in the first place because the collected on Mondays which means you loose the bank holidays during the year.

Now it seems I will be given no choice as the letter states
    "over the coming months the routes will be reviewed and minor changes may be made to collection days.."

The letter also stated
    "Following a recent competitive bid process FCC has selected Panda..."

Some competition alright - create monopoly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Got a letter saying the charges for next year for those who have been FCC will be the same with panda, no increase.

There is another option in the area http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=Household-Fingal

• Advertisement

timbel wrote: »
    This is the question I want answered - different people on different tariffs?

I got the notification in the door today of the switch to Panda.
    I didn't switched to Panda in the first place because the collected on Mondays which means you loose the bank holidays during the year.

Now it seems I will be given no choice as the letter states
    "over the coming months the routes will be reviewed and minor changes may be made to collection days.."

The letter also stated
    "Following a recent competitive bid process FCC has selected Panda..."

Some competition alright - create monopoly!

Panda collect on Bank Holidays anyway...

Sharrow wrote: »

They don't service my estate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭timbel

Panda collect on Bank Holidays anyway...

Missed that in the literature.
    They don't service my estate :(

Mine neither

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Got a letter saying the charges for next year for those who have been FCC will be the same with panda, no increase.

l[/url]

no increase for people switching from the council because they were already paying 110 per year and 8 per lift.
    the council was more expensive than panda last year.
    panda only cost 88 per year and 6.40 per lift last year.
    but there will be an increase for panda customers as the first post in the thread says

No it hasn't, it's being privatised on the 31st of this month.

You're right - I was thinking about the privatization announcement by the council.

James. wrote: »
    no increase for people switching from the council because they were already paying 110 per year and 8 per lift.
    the council was more expensive than panda last year.
    panda only cost 88 per year and 6.40 per lift last year.
    but there will be an increase for panda customers as the first post in the thread says

Not necessarily - it depends on how many collections you avail of as well as the black/green/brown split. A lot of people I reckon were caught out due to not doing their homework.

Not necessarily - it depends on how many collections you avail of as well as the black/green/brown split. A lot of people I reckon were caught out due to not doing their homework.

the only option available to me from the council as a new customer last year was 110 per year and 8 per lift

so panda was cheaper at 88 per year and 6.40 per lift

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

That all depends on how often you put out the black bin for collection.

greatgoal wrote: »
    That all depends on how often you put out the black bin for collection.

what ?

the council cost 110 per year and 8 per lift
    panda cost 88 per year and 6.40 per lift

so no, it didnt depend on how often you put out the bin

panda were cheaper no matter how often or how little you put out the bin

what ?

Before Panda introduced the pay by lift tariff they had a tariff of €282 for the year (23.50 euro per month) no matter how many times your bin went out. Fingal would have worked out cheaper if you were only putting your bin out every couple of weeks on this tariff. Not the newer ones. I'm still on the 23.50 per month tariff until my renewal in April.

• Advertisement

what ?

Did Panda pick up the green and brown bins as well? And have they bring centres where a lot of stuff can be dropped off free of charge too?

Did Panda pick up the green and brown bins as well?
    yes and it was free
    And have they bring centres where a lot of stuff can be dropped off free of charge too?

this bring centre is open to everybody no matter who they are with so i dont know why you bring it up

Before Panda introduced the pay by lift tariff they had a tariff of €282 for the year (23.50 euro per month) no matter how many times your bin went out. Fingal would have worked out cheaper if you were only putting your bin out every couple of weeks on this tariff. Not the newer ones. I'm still on the 23.50 per month tariff until my renewal in April.

people who only wanted to put the bin out every couple of weeks would have been better off with panda for the last year (panda 88 per year and 6.40 per lift as opposed to the council at 110 and 8 per lift )
    - i dont know why people are arguing about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

James do you work for rip off panda.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

panda are not collecting the brown bins according to what we got in the post, even though theyre paid up til christmas. That means therell be more black bins needing to go out, almost weekley probably (compared to twice a month) and gonna cost a fair bit.

If they don't take the brown bins its a clear ploy to rip people off.

people who only wanted to put the bin out every couple of weeks would have been better off with panda for the last year (panda 88 per year and 6.40 per lift as opposed to the council at 110 and 8 per lift )
    - i dont know why people are arguing about that

The 88 per year tariff only came in in May of this year (I know this because my renewal was in April and I just missed it this year, got to stay on the 23.50 per month tariff), so before May of this year it was cheaper to stay with Fingal if you only put your black bin out every couple of weeks instead of every week. That's what people are arguing about.

yes and it was free

Well then I suppose they are cheaper, but only since May as January said.
    this bring centre is open to everybody no matter who they are with so i dont know why you bring it up

It's relevant because you have to compare like with like - the cost of providing and operating the bring centres has to be factored into the overall waste collection budget. By not providing any of these facilities the private companies - the likes of Panda here - save big time, meaning its a straight overhead that they don't have to pass on to the household annual or collection charge.

The 88 per year tariff only came in in May of this year (I know this because my renewal was in April and I just missed it this year, got to stay on the 23.50 per month tariff), so before May of this year it was cheaper to stay with Fingal if you only put your black bin out every couple of weeks instead of every week. That's what people are arguing about.
    Well then I suppose they are cheaper, but only since May as January said.

no.
    the 88 tariff was available in november last year because that is when i started using panda, and it was the only option available from them.

robertxxx wrote: »
    James do you work for rip off panda.

no, i dont work for them.

maybe they are a rip off but the council was more expensive for everybody for the last year so panda was the best option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

no.
    the 88 tariff was available in november last year because that is when i started using panda, and it was the only option available from them.

That's when i join and a few people on the D15 fourm, after the snow when greenstar failed as well fcc to come around. Panda still manage to get around.

So no it NEVER did come into effect this May.

Advertisement