Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panda waste price increase.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

James. wrote: »
    no.
    the 88 tariff was available in november last year because that is when i started using panda, and it was the only option available from them.

Oh well, maybe they just allowed existing customers to stay on the 282 per year charge, because anyone I know is only getting changed over to the new tariff at renewal time, which is November for my grandmother, March for my parents and April for myself and my next door neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

robertxxx wrote: »
    Hi,

I have switched to panda about two weeks ago, paid 88 up front and 6.40 per black bin.

I was on their site looking to see when the green bin is collected and out of interest i checked their prices and they are now the same as fingal 110 upfront and 8 per black bin.

Dirty rip off monopoly.

Fecking rip off- [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL]!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

So just to summarise:

We were paying €282 a year with Panda.

Upon renewal this year we would have been moving onto their new “pay per lift” service which was €88 per year and €6.40 per lift of the black bin. Assuming you put out your black bin every week that's €420 a year, an increase of 49%.

But because Panda take over the Fingal CoCo waste collection service and now have a clear monopoly on refuse collection in the area, Panda increase their prices across the board to what Fingal CoCo were charging – from €88 to €110 a year annual charge, and from €6.40 a lift to €8 a lift.

Total yearly charge now gone from €282 to €526 A total increase of 86% year on year.

What a great little country we live in. Why are none of the candidate in the Dublin West by-election talking about this?

Probably because Panda are a private company and can do what they want... I'm sure they'll have a competitor in the area come next month who will be lower in price, for at least the first year anyway.

ETA: Just rang City Bin and they've no plans to extend their service to other estates in Fingal before Christmas but said they will advertise if they are doing it after Christmas.

True January, I have just written an e-mail to Panda to see what they say, will post the response when I get it.

• Advertisement

Just on the phone to City Bin there, my estate isn't covered at the moment either. However, they have a bit on their website where you can input your estate and ask for it to be considered when they expand their routes in 2012. MIght be an idea to share that info with any firends you have living in your area, residents groups etc.

Their standing charge is lower than Panda a.k.a. Fingal in disguise, lifts are cheaper also. They also offer a fixed charge option of €20/month (€240 a year) which covers all collections of your black bin weekly and brown/green bins on alternate weeks. This is even cheaper than what Panda were charging (€282 a year) when they entered the market two or three years ago.

So you need to go to this page - http://www.citybin.com/cms/index.php?page=choose-location and click on the first letter of your estate/area, then click the name of your estate from the drop-down list,, and then click on "Get 2011 Schedule", when it doesn't show up you just fill in your details and hit submit.

Mods, can we get this post stickied please in the D15 forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

January wrote: »
    Probably because Panda are a private company and can do what they want... I'm sure they'll have a competitor in the area come next month who will be lower in price, for at least the first year anyway.

ETA: Just rang City Bin and they've no plans to extend their service to other estates in Fingal before Christmas but said they will advertise if they are doing it after Christmas.

hope they do come out to the D15 area, compertion rules .....
    i think the more we phone or email Citi Bin we can make it happen (that's if their at a good rate though)
    off to email them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

The lack of competition to Panda will be a problem next year and especially in 2013, when they'll be free to charge what they want. Having City Bin would be a good start to keep prices regulated.

TBH though I don't think €240 a year is a realistic price though. Fingal couldn't even break even with the €110/€8 lift charges, and they had huge advantages in economies of scale, access to dumps etc. The cost of waste disposal for companies continues to rise. We could probably expect City Bin (or another competitor) to have an introductory offer, but not expect it to be sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What if i'm happy with services that Panda provides here !?

Black bin collected everytime,no matter what the weather is like ! Also,no rubbish left out after them and they put the bins back to front of the house,not in the middle of the streets.
    Two green bins for extra recycling capacity !
    Huge brown bin,very effective for summer' grass cuts...

Prices !?? Not sure...is just working ok for me,paying over the phone every month !
    I guess all of them ar after profit and not my satisfaction at the end of the day !

rolion wrote: »
    What if i'm happy with services that Panda provides here !?

Ahhhhh - Total yearly charge now gone from €282 to €526 - A total increase of 86% year on year. Are you still happy? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Arciphel wrote: »
    Ahhhhh - Total yearly charge now gone from €282 to €526 - A total increase of 86% year on year. Are you still happy? :pac:

Holy cr*p :mad: Thats ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

Arciphel wrote: »
    thats privatisation all over for ya :mad: . we to are with fingal and were looking forward to the huge discount that all you panda users have had until i read this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Called them,for current customers is €88 and then €6.40 per lift.
    Changes taken effect from December 2011.

Still "recycling" the numbers ...

e88 + [(e6.40pl+e6.40pl)x12m ] = €241.60

rolion wrote: »
    Called them,for current customers is €88 and then €6.40 per lift.
    Changes taken effect from December 2011.

Still "recycling" the numbers ...

e88 + [(e6.40pl+e6.40pl)x12m ] = €241.60

That's if you only put your bin out twice a month :rolleyes: Hardly an accurate comparison is it? Even if you do have two types of brackets in there.

Fingal truck collected the green bins today in Wellview... well it was a Fingal truck, all the signage had been removed from it but you could still make out the crest because it was cleaner than the rest of the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Seriously who needs to put out their black bins every week???

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Seriously who needs to put out their black bins every week???

I've three kids under three all still in nappies. I definitely need to put my black bin out every week.

I've three kids under three all still in nappies. I definitely need to put my black bin out every week.

Panda recently confirmed to me that they will accept compostable nappies in the brown bin, which is a great advantage for me. About 3/4 of my black bin load is usually nappies, and we buy the compostable ones (Moltex) anyway.

The compostable ones are more expensive than Pampers, Huggies etc., but look like they'll be cheaper to dispose and are obviously much more environmentally friendly.

Have Panda confirmed they will continue the brown bin collections for existing customers? Because they won't be collecting the brown bin for Fingal customers, it's being discontinued...

With three it costs me nearly 30 euro a week to keep them in nappies already, so won't be using the Moltex!

Have Panda confirmed they will continue the brown bin collections for existing customers? Because they won't be collecting the brown bin for Fingal customers, it's being discontinued...

Not according to the Fingal FAQ:

"Panda will take over collection of the black and brown bins from Fingal County Council Waste customers from the 1st November 2011.

The green bin will continue to be collected from Fingal customers who transfer to Panda until the 1st January 2012, by Greyhound Recycling on the days and times outlined in the 2011 Green Bin calendar.

Panda will collect green, black and brown bins from former Fingal County Council customers from 1st January 2012."

• Advertisement

Sorry, I had read in the Evening Herald that they weren't collecting the brown bins, they probably meant the green bins for now.

Advertisement