Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for new dog house

• 17-10-2011 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hey there,

I am looking to purchase a new doghouse. I have an adult labrador. the house she has now is falling apart over the heavy wind. The roof comes off as part of the design and just blows down the garden. This has caused damage to the roof and leaking in the house.

What I would like to know is, where would be the best place to get a nice dog house for her that will last. I paid 150 euro for the last one and only lasted about a year and a half.

So, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'm looking at the mo as well but almost settled on timber again.
    I am also looking at steel options but the condensation risk puts me off but some are well ventilated but I don't want to spend a fortune on a kennel only for it to let me down and we would have to put dog flaps in it ourselves the only way to know if it works would be to put the dog flaps in first, and then if it didn't work we'll of changed the design so couldn't bring it back.

There are mixed opinions on timber Vs steel so it's a personal choice.

For your pooch if the dog uses it at night then I'd go for a heavy duty good quality one so maybe have a look at both options. If you google steel insulated dog kennels there are at least two diff. companies that have photos and details on their websites. Price wise they work out roughly the same as an insulated timber one.
    If your dog is a big chewer then the steel could be an option, the insulated ones afaik are insulated top to bottom and sides.

The timber ones we have our eye on are only going in to production soon will PM you details so you can contact them for more details. They look really solid, and if you paint them once a year they will last. They are fully insulated top to bottome, sides and the floor is pretty cool.

You might have to add a magnetic dog flap, the dog flap we have on the dogs shed atm is brilliant even in the high winds today (and are near a wind farm so it gets pretty stormy) doesn't budge but the dogs can still pop in and out.
    We're switching to insulated kennels because the shed will need a new floor soon and it's too big a space to hold the heat esp. if we get a bad winter again.

If possible move any new kennel to a more sheltered site or against the house wall. Or with the doorway facing towards the house wall.

If you choose a shiplap kennel it'll be heavier and not as likely to move about in the winds. You can put it on blocks but maybe get one with really sturdy pressure treated legs. If not added to the kennel already you can use damp proofing strips (not sure what the proper name is) and nail it on to legs and anything that touches the ground to further protect it.

You might have to pay a bit more than €150 though, on average a medium kennel will cost around the 180 - 200 mark but if your pooch is a big Lab you might need a Large which could be around €220 ish.

But it will last you years if looked after. I neglected some kennels that we werent' using and they rotted or were damaged..kicking myself now. But promised myself I'll look after the next ones because the girls will be in them and they won't be just left around the garden.

Hope this helps..can you tell I've been researching my ideal kennels for a while now...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I'm looking at the mo as well but almost settled on timber again.
    I am also looking at steel options but the condensation risk puts me off but some are well ventilated but I don't want to spend a fortune on a kennel only for it to let me down and we would have to put dog flaps in it ourselves the only way to know if it works would be to put the dog flaps in first, and then if it didn't work we'll of changed the design so couldn't bring it back.

There are mixed opinions on timber Vs steel so it's a personal choice.

For your pooch if the dog uses it at night then I'd go for a heavy duty good quality one so maybe have a look at both options. If you google steel insulated dog kennels there are at least two diff. companies that have photos and details on their websites. Price wise they work out roughly the same as an insulated timber one.
    If your dog is a big chewer then the steel could be an option, the insulated ones afaik are insulated top to bottom and sides.

The timber ones we have our eye on are only going in to production soon will PM you details so you can contact them for more details. They look really solid, and if you paint them once a year they will last. They are fully insulated top to bottome, sides and the floor is pretty cool.

You might have to add a magnetic dog flap, the dog flap we have on the dogs shed atm is brilliant even in the high winds today (and are near a wind farm so it gets pretty stormy) doesn't budge but the dogs can still pop in and out.
    We're switching to insulated kennels because the shed will need a new floor soon and it's too big a space to hold the heat esp. if we get a bad winter again.

If possible move any new kennel to a more sheltered site or against the house wall. Or with the doorway facing towards the house wall.

If you choose a shiplap kennel it'll be heavier and not as likely to move about in the winds. You can put it on blocks but maybe get one with really sturdy pressure treated legs. If not added to the kennel already you can use damp proofing strips (not sure what the proper name is) and nail it on to legs and anything that touches the ground to further protect it.

You might have to pay a bit more than €150 though, on average a medium kennel will cost around the 180 - 200 mark but if your pooch is a big Lab you might need a Large which could be around €220 ish.

But it will last you years if looked after. I neglected some kennels that we werent' using and they rotted or were damaged..kicking myself now. But promised myself I'll look after the next ones because the girls will be in them and they won't be just left around the garden.

Hope this helps..can you tell I've been researching my ideal kennels for a while now...:rolleyes:

Thanks for that great post :)

I think A steel one would be a good idea. She used ot be a real bad chewer but has grown out of it and doesnt chew anymore. Still I think a steel one would just last longer and be more sturdy. Obviously it will have to be insulated. The price doesnt matter really as long as it lasts and is comfortable for her. I think It is a great idea to have a magnetic dog flap for her too.

Still would love details on that timber one you are looking at. Mind sending those details?

Thanks again for your great post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just pmd you. If you get the steel one can you let me know how you get on with it, maybe post some kennel pics.

The link I gave you is one of them there is another crowd that do them they have are more raised by the door. The link I gave you is a good one but you will probably have to pop it on blocks I don't think they have legs as such..or maybe the floor itself is raised sure have a look and let us know how the pooch gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Contact Aspect Garden Construction (I am not connected to them) if you really want top quality work. Ask for Albert. 01 8320206. You will not find better.

Advertisement