Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Marks and Spencer made it to Kilkenny yet?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I heard it had but not sure .....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Rega

No.

Thread closed ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

1. Dunnes Stores
    2. The Worlds End
    3. Tescos
    4. Free Parking
    5. Supervalu planning permission.

When all five have been covered in this thread write in the largest font:

BINGO

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nice Kilkenny humour for a visitor, cheeers cats :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Nearest ones are Newbridge and Clonmel I'm afraid :(
    I think the KK shopping mall on High St. site would make a great location for an M&S in town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mfitzy wrote: »
    Nearest ones are Newbridge and Clonmel I'm afraid :(
    I think the KK shopping mall on High St. site would make a great location for an M&S in town.

I thought that was shutting down.

• Advertisement

I thought that was shutting down.

I think they had applied for Planning for a large single unit Dept Store on the site. Doubt it will be redeveloped anytime soon now though.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Nice Kilkenny humour for a visitor, cheeers cats :rolleyes:

Thank you, we play here same time every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

I think they had applied for Planning for a large single unit Dept Store on the site. Doubt it will be redeveloped anytime soon now though.

they were painters in there the other week in some of the units, and new doors have been put into it so maybe somthing might be going to happen with it soon,

linny wrote: »
    they were painters in there the other week in some of the units, and new doors have been put into it so maybe somthing might be going to happen with it soon,

I'd say that means they are keeping it as it is currently so- which makes sense in the current climate.

Thank you, we play here same time every week

What, you play BINGO here every week ?:D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

M&S and Debenhams are coming to Carlow, in the old Quinnsworth which has recently (finally) got the all clear from An Bord Planeala for a new shopping centre development (albeit scaled down from initial proposal).

For M&S it is to be their flagship store (i.e a full size store rather than the Clonmel style smaller size) in the South East having also considered Waterford.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/carlow-set-to-get-regional-marks-and-spencer-store/

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/369/itemId/10877/Decision-on-80m-town-centre-in-two-months.aspx

What ya on about - this is from one of the links you provide - :confused::confused:

there are strong rumours that the company is now poised to put a major outlet into Carlow Town creating badly needed jobs there. ‘The Munster Express’ has been told by industry insiders that Marks and Spencer is still very interested in setting up in Waterford if the conditions, including a green-field site, were amenable.

M&S and Debenhams are coming to Carlow, in the old Quinnsworth which has recently (finally) got the all clear from An Bord Planeala for a new shopping centre development (albeit scaled down from initial proposal).

For M&S it is to be their flagship store (i.e a full size store rather than the Clonmel style smaller size) in the South East having also considered Waterford.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/carlow-set-to-get-regional-marks-and-spencer-store/

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/tabId/369/itemId/10877/Decision-on-80m-town-centre-in-two-months.aspx

So Carlow will have Tesco, Debenhams and M&S. That is not good news for Kilkenny at all in terms of retail as we have none of these stores. Carlow will be the regional shopping centre for the south east if this goes ahead.

What ya on about - this is from one of the links you provide - :confused::confused:

Sorry Vic I don't have more recent links with confirmation but I can assure you, for what it's worth, that the deal is done re both Debenhams and M&S opening in Carlow. Mind you, a sod hasn't been turned yet so it's probabaly two years away as the site is to be massively redeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Carlow will be the regional shopping centre for the south east if this goes ahead.
    To my thinking Carlow is a more shopper-friendly place. Lots of free car parking and even when you have to pay it's not expensive (Penny's car park 30c for a half hour). Sadly I think Kilkenny's reputation as a tourist centre rightly or wrongly has given it a pricey reputation.

:confused::confused:
    To my thinking Carlow is a more shopper-friendly place. Lots of free car parking and even when you have to pay it's not expensive (Penny's car park 30c for a half hour). Sadly I think Kilkenny's reputation as a tourist centre rightly or wrongly has given it a pricey reputation.

I was there recently and I got parking in the Kilkenny County Council offices in the centre of the city for €2.00 for the whole day.:rolleyes:

That's a great deal.

It's more shopper friendly as regards parking but I still think Kilkenny shades it at the moment. Carlow's grand for everyday shopping but for decent menswear type shopping it's pretty awful. Also much nicer places to eat out.

:confused::confused:

I was there recently and I got parking in the Kilkenny County Council offices in the centre of the city for €2.00 for the whole day.:rolleyes:

That's a great deal.
    Yes it is a great deal, but we were talking shopping, and I bet not many people would want to push a trolley full of groceries down to the Council Offices from Dunnes in Market Yard or indeed McDonagh Junction.:confused:

On a brighter note, I found this file on the Carlow Town Council planning website: http://193.178.1.229/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=106301&LASiteID=1

Apparently permission was refused for this development last May, and I could find no further application for that site since then. Anybody have info to the contrary?

Yes it is a great deal, but we were talking shopping

You should then perhaps specify grocery shopping:rolleyes:

On a brighter note, I found this file on the Carlow Town Council planning website: http://193.178.1.229/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=106301&LASiteID=1

Apparently permission was refused for this development last May, and I could find no further application for that site since then. Anybody have info to the contrary?

That is a completly different develoment red. That was for Hanover Retail Park - where Woodies is - and not the Hanover Quay development which is where Debenhams and M&S are going - bord planeala granted permission for this about two months ago. Donnybrook Properties are the developers not Thomas Thompson.

• Advertisement

That is a completly different develoment red. That was for Hanover Retail Park - where Woodies is - and not the Hanover Quay development which is where Debenhams and M&S are going - bord planeala granted permission for this about two months ago. Donnybrook Properties are the developers not Thomas Thompson.

Thanks Scallion 'ater, sorry for mix-up. Think I found it here:

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/236653.htm

Thanks Scallion 'ater, sorry for mix-up. Think I found it here:

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/236653.htm

That's a separate application red covering a side portion of the site at what would be the Burrin St. entrance. They already have the permission below which covers the most substantial portion of the site with entrances on Kennedy Avenue and Kilkenny Road. In all it is a huge town centre site.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/228338.htm

It's big all right. It will set Carlow up to be a major retail destination. A bit like McDonagh Junction in size (but with different anchor tenants ;) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It's more shopper friendly as regards parking but I still think Kilkenny shades it at the moment. Carlow's grand for everyday shopping but for decent menswear type shopping it's pretty awful. Also much nicer places to eat out.

But is there any good reason why Kilkenny couldnt have both,promote it as a tourist destination and have the top shops aswell.

The old mart is still lying empty, it could easily be linked to Mcdonagh junction via a new footbridge where the old Portlaoise rail line bridge went,how cool would that be?:cool:
    The High Street/parade could be the pub,resturant and tourist end of town,the shopping end could be the Comer rd side.
    Many cities in mainland europe are like this,old town and new town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

So Carlow will have Tesco, Debenhams and M&S. That is not good news for Kilkenny at all in terms of retail as we have none of these stores. Carlow will be the regional shopping centre for the south east if this goes ahead.
    Yes it is a great deal, but we were talking shopping, and I bet not many people would want to push a trolley full of groceries down to the Council Offices from Dunnes in Market Yard or indeed McDonagh Junction.:confused:

That's a separate application red covering a side portion of the site at what would be the Burrin St. entrance. They already have the permission below which covers the most substantial portion of the site with entrances on Kennedy Avenue and Kilkenny Road. In all it is a huge town centre site.

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/228338.htm

BINGO!

Well not really still missing the worlds end and planning permission thats linked to supervalu . . .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The initial plans for the mart area looked amazing. I saw some of the blueprints and it pretty much equated to a whole new district of Kilkenny. It's a real shame nothing came of it.

I think hi5 is right, there's definitely scope for Kilkenny having a more shopping centric area but it's also important that we don't just replicate the same old shops that everywhere else in the south east has. Kilkenny has a lot of unique things going for it and it would be really important to attract brands that enhance the shopping experience than dilute it. For example, Kilkenny does not need a Tesco but a Marks and Spencers would be a real coup for Kilkenny as it is unique in the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

We do not need Tesco in kilkenny, one wonders why such an observation is made, why not the only county without Tesco and to add to the misery of kilkenny shoppers Iceland are in Clonmel and opening in Carlow very shortly, I guess Kilkenny doesn't need them either, why would we want shops other towns have, Kilkenny is to proud I suppose and of course there are no poor people in kilkenny, get a life someone, the price of shopping well groceries is on the up and if you are having to make ends meet every week you need as much help as possible, when we hear mothers are watering milk down because of the price, heaven help us, I suppose the children might benefit from Tesco clothes rather than have to walk around in old ones, though we are lucky to have Dunnes and Penneys who do provide cheap clothes.
    I presume the it's not good enough for Kilkenny attitude wuill no doubt prevail, they can keep the high st and parking charges to themselves we will be off to Carlow or Clonmel, we are not too proud to say we have to look after the pennies.
    It is a splendid idea to keep the shopping for poor people out of sight so that tourists can't see us a good few trees might help and definately no signs to say Tesco, Iceland etc, we wait and watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not sure what Tesco or Iceland has to do with a thread on M and S but still.
    You dont NEED a Tesco, you might want one, but there is no need, unless you are fixated by big british retailers who make way more profit per euro spent in Ireland than anywhere else, and who local communities in England fight to avoid getting. If you are looking for cheaper shopping, go to Aldi or Lidl, of which Kilkenny has plenty. Personally delighted that Tesco aren't in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I shop in Tesco and would pick it over Dunnes any day. Much better range of produce and nicer own brand stuff.

Back on topic. An M&S would be fab. Love their food and their goodies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

oh dear what a short memory, your so called Irish retailers spent years ripping off the irish shopper, it was only when Tesco and aldi and Lidl appeared on the scene that prices came tumbling down, while we are discussing Tesco yes it is true if they get into a small community shoppers move to them, now ask yourself why, they can't help it as they cannot buy in bulk the small shop cannot compete, having said that, no one in the South East bakes bread to the standard of billy Keogh, so much so he supplies our local supermarket, none of your big stores will make any dent in his business, one might site specsavers as monster, and MacDonalds, man you have to move with the times and old ways are gone like telephone boxes as much as we try to preserve the past, regards foxy

Advertisement