Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finglas halloween festival

Options
  • 17-10-2011 8:24pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

does anyone have any information about the festival?

i cant find anything really online - loads for ballymun

wondering what time the parade and are fireworks are at?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Think fireworks start around 8pm... well they did the year before last...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Finglas during halloween? Sounds a bit unsafe to me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i found something on a site which said the fireworks were starting at 6.50pm but it didnt give a year.

this is on the dublin city website

Finglas will have its best Halloween festival ever this year, starting with a Zombie Parade, hosting two music venues, life-size games, Tunnel of Terror and Haunted Graveyard and lots of food stalls, games and activities including obstacle course, stockade, pillow fight , puppet show and story time. If your group would like to run a stall, help out with this event or take part in the workshops leading up to it, please contact Lois on 5425

this is on another website but it doesnt give a year - so i dont know if its this year
    Halloween parade will meet at 5p.m in the Finglas Youth Resource Centre, Mellowes Road Finglas, Dublin 11.

The parade will commence at 6.00pm taking in the following route Mellowes Road, Finglaswood Road, Cappagh Road, Patrickswell Place, Wellmount Road, and is due to arrive at Farnham Drive at approximately 6.50p.m.

The winner of a local battle of the bands competition will play from 6.50p.m-7.15p.m.
    A Junior Disco will be held in Erin’s Isle G.A.A Club in Farnham Drive starting at 5.00p.m - 6.45p.m.

The fireworks display will commence 7.15p.m - 7.45p.m

The Finglas Concert Band will play from 7.45p.m - 8.10p.m

Road Closures will take place in the following areas from approximately 6.15p.m, St. Helena’s Road, Dunsink Road, Casement Road and Farnham Drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

NickDrake wrote: »
    Finglas during halloween? Sounds a bit unsafe to me.

Nothing nice to say?

Nothing to actually contribute?

Keep out of the thread so, thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Des wrote: »
    Nothing nice to say?

Nothing to actually contribute?

Keep out of the thread so, thanks

Community is something alot of posters dont understand,des.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

im from ballymun(no puns please) the festivals are actaully brilliant its run by a northern irish crowd.
    if you have concerns about saftey theres tonnes of guards and rescue crew at them so shouldn't be any worries and ballymun garda station is a stones throw away

im from ballymun(no puns please) the festivals are actaully brilliant its run by a northern irish crowd.
    if you have concerns about saftey theres tonnes of guards and rescue crew at them so shouldn't be any worries and ballymun garda station is a stones throw away

in fairness the finglas garda station is much much closer than the ballymun station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

irishbird wrote: »
    in fairness the finglas garda station is much much closer than the ballymun station
    the festival used to be in an area of ballymun called coultry then last year it was moved becuase of housing reasons... but there was festival held at shangan literally behind the police station and student apartment but could have changed again because the flats are been knocked down now.

the festival used to be in an area of ballymun called coultry then last year it was moved becuase of housing reasons... but there was festival held at shangan literally behind the police station and student apartment but could have changed again because the flats are been knocked down now.

i really think you are very confused - we are talking about the the Finglas Fright Night celebration not the Ballymun Otherworld celebration :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Think it starts at 6 and fireworks at 8. Same as last year? I can't remember. It was good last year, kept the kids entertained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Jet Black wrote: »
    Think it starts at 6 and fireworks at 8. Same as last year? I can't remember. It was good last year, kept the kids entertained.

I'm pretty sure the parade starts at 6.30pm from Barry Ave and the fireworks are at 8pm as Jet says. It's not taking place on Farnham drive though but in the park behind the civic centre (Casement Park ?). Hats off to DCC for organizing this event I've been to it twice and it's great. It's also very safe, the skangers avoid it because there are security guards, police and council staff there.

I'm pretty sure the parade starts at 6.30pm from Barry Ave and the fireworks are at 8pm as Jet says. It's not taking place on Farnham drive though but in the park behind the civic centre (Casement Park ?). Hats off to DCC for organizing this event I've been to it twice and it's great. It's also very safe, the skangers avoid it because there are security guards, police and council staff there.

it is a shame it isnt advertised a bit more:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

it is a shame it isnt advertised a bit more:(

+1
    havent heard one thing about it other than this thread!
    Is this the fireworks on Erins Isle field?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Think the fireworks will be in Mellows like last year. They had it two years ago outside erins isle and had to close some roads, think that's why they moved it up to the swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Yeah its gas...ya can't get a copper for love no money in ballymun, especially on halloween yet there's tons of them, the fire brigade and reserve fire brigade standing around at the BRL fest twiddling their thumbs on the busiest night of the year. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah its gas...ya can't get a copper for love no money in ballymun, especially on halloween yet there's tons of them, the fire brigade and reserve fire brigade standing around at the BRL fest twiddling their thumbs on the busiest night of the year. :rolleyes:

i dont think ive ever seen firemen standing around doing nothing :rolleyes:
    maybe they were on standby at that location.

as for the copper remark, maybe you should ring them if you need them 999/112/insert ballymun station number here

seen a banner on the gym at mellow road, saying the display starts at 6pm in Mellows Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Rocheydub

Bambi wrote: »
    Yeah its gas...ya can't get a copper for love no the fire brigade and reserve fire brigade standing around at the BRL fest twiddling their thumbs on the busiest night of the year. :rolleyes:

Apologise please for your mistake. That is not the fire brigade. It's either the civil defence or the auxiliary fire brigade. All volunteers, not paid, and there for community spirit and community safety, while the fire brigade are (as you correctly stated) working hard on their busiest night of the year!

zombie walk starts at 5pm at the Barry Road shops (have no idea where that is :o)

http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/LocalAreaServices/NorthWestArea/Documents/Finglas_Halloween_Festival.pdf

++Where An Cappagh Nua is.

Here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

zombie walk starts at 5pm at the Barry Road shops (have no idea where that is :o)

http://www.dublincity.ie/YourCouncil/LocalAreaServices/NorthWestArea/Documents/Finglas_Halloween_Festival.pdf

Excellent .. thanks for pdf ..

Not sure if that is for last years festival as the thread is a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

January wrote: »
    Not sure if that is for last years festival as the thread is a year old.

Oops never noticed that :rolleyes:

Thanks for heads up...

yeah, thats last years :)

its the same this year though, there was a write up in one of the free papers.

will have a look ad see if i can find it

i found this :mad:
    The Finglas Halloween event will take place in the Civic Centre, Mellowes Road on Wednesday 31st of October. The event will be very similar to last year’s event and will include novelty stalls, live music on stage and a fireworks display. The first meeting to launch the festival took place on 3rd of September. Over 100 groups were notified of the meeting but only 5 groups turned up on the night. This low turn out was very disappointing considering the success of the event last year. A further meeting has been rearranged for the 1stOctober. If the attendance is low again, the event will have to be scaled back as the City Council do not have the resources to stage the event without significant input from the community.

http://www.dessieellis.ie/halloween-festival-finglas/

Aw, I hope people turn up. I loved the festival when I was living in Finglas. Pity some people aren't as enthusiastic about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Thanks for the link irishbird. I might wander up to have a looksee.

Advertisement