Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magento ECommerce

Options
  • 17-10-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have a webstore that is on Magento V 1.3.2.4

I see that v1.6 is currently available.

Should I be looking to upgrade? Is it something a total novice can do?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Is it a live site making sales? I'd be very wary if it's not your own site. Create a clone test site under same conditions and update that first, see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for the reply.

It is a site I had developed a while back. It is going live soon.

I am not educated in these matters and I need to get my shopping cart sorted, so I think I'll just have to employ someone to do some final tweaking on it.

I have advertised the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 janekw

You are definitely going to run into problems as there is quite a gap between the versions..I would outsource this job as it's just going to drive you mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

If you've any kind of customisation done then something's definitely going to break.
    I've been putting off going from 1.5.1 to 1.6.x, because going from 1.4 to 1.5 back before we launched was pain enough.

AFAIK, there were a few significant changes to the core folder structure and theming introduced in 1.4, so going up from 1.3 is going to be more of a pain.

Definitely don't do it until you've upgraded and fully tested (everything you can think of) on a test copy of your site. And if you're not technical , you're probably better outsourcing it.

All that said, you might be extremely lucky, especially if you don't have much customisation done. Might be worth copying your site over to a test subdomain and running the upgrade, just seeing how it works out. You've nothing to lose anyway.

A couple of threads on the Magento forum that might help - the second one looks quite useful, there's a post halfway down with full details on the steps to go directly from 1.3.2.4 to 1.6.

Your two biggest problems are likely to be that your theme may not work, and depending on the number of past orders it could take hours to convert those (roughly 1 hour per 6000 orders based on a number of threads I've read)

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies,

There are no previous orders done through the site. I have advertised here and elsewhere but got no replies at all, I may (reluctantly) have to go to elance and put the job to a foreign programmer :(

Advertisement