Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick animal rescue

• 17-10-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

the rumhour mill has it that their sanctuary near kilfinnane is closed to the public, it seems it is due to to a massive infestation of worms in the dogs, mods if this is in the fourm please move it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Where did you hear this "rumour" ? any links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

no link, but the neighbour has dogs caught up on it for the last three weeks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I think your neighbour must be getting their wires crossed. You don't get "outbreaks" of worms in the way you describe; the sanctuary routinely worm dose every dog/puppy that comes in whether they show signs of worms or not.

They were closed to incoming dogs for a few weeks quite recently. That was because a litter of pups that were dumped at the sanctuary. They turned out to have been incubating a serious gastro-intestinal virus on arrival and they got very ill. The dogs already in kennels there were safe enough as the place is disinfected every day and they would already have been vaccinated, but they couldn't take in new dogs without a vaccination history.

Hope that clears things up for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

the dog in question was at/in the rescue, it was being treated unsuccessfuly at a local vetinary clinic, it was only when it was taken to the glen vet clinic in tipp town and had an xray done that the dog was sucessfully treated, btw the local clinic is ran by the glen vet clinic, i do not doubt your post, nor can i doubt the dogs owner, so perhaps the real story is somewhere in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

That all sounds a bit strange flutered, not that I doubt what you're saying. It is a bit confusing though.

Any dog that goes to LAW gets a worm dose and flea treatment on entry. Unless the dog has a very bad worm infestation you don't need to repeat the dose, and if you do, it's best done at monthly intervals until the infestation is totally cleared.

It sounds like the dog had an issue that was not diagnosed successfully by the first vet (whilethe dog was with LAW) but the cause of the problem was found by the second vet, when brought there by the new owner? Would be curious to know what the problem was but anyways I hope the dog is better now. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement