Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

308 vs 300 Win Mag?

• 17-10-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey folk,

Been offered a pretty good deal on a choice of two Remys. One is in .308 and the other in 300 Win Mag.

Both are in pretty much the same nick, and I'll be using them mainly for putting holes in paper.

Which caliber would be more suited for target shooting in your opinion? I'm tempted to give the 1200 yard range down the midlands a go next time I'm up there and if it'd be something I'd take a fancy to, which of above calibers do you reckon would be more suitable?

Any thoughts would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

.308 ;)what models are the remmys ?1200 yards is a long way for a factory rifle !

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

For many reasons you are better off going .308 ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭insertclever

tomcat220t wrote: »
    .308 ;)what models are the remmys ?1200 yards is a long way for a factory rifle !

They're not factory :)

Both are custom to some degree or another but both were based off a 700 model.

Thanks for the input so far!

They're not factory :)

Both are custom to some degree or another but both were based off a 700 model.

Thanks for the input so far!
    In what way custom ...details please :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

.308. The .300 mag will be harder and more expensive to keep fed with quality ammunition and won't compete adequately with anything in its class, whereas the .308 has a class all of its own. Several of them in fact.

• Advertisement

tomcat220t wrote: »
    In what way custom ...details please :cool:

I don't have all the details to hand but both have a heavy fluted barrel and Jewel triggers. I'm expecting an email with all the specs which I'll be happy to post once recieved :)

.308. The .300 mag will be harder and more expensive to keep fed with quality ammunition and won't compete adequately with anything in its class, whereas the .308 has a class all of its own. Several of them in fact.

Yeah the price of ammo would definitely be a factor (recession etc. etc.)

He mentioned a friend of his in Sweden is also thinking of offloading his .338 but then we're in restricted territory and the cost of ammo and recoil of such a thing would probably break me in half :D

I don't have all the details to hand but both have a heavy fluted barrel and Jewel triggers. I'm expecting an email with all the specs which I'll be happy to post once recieved :)
    Do you think the heavy fluted barrels are factory or custom match?Jewel triggers are great and a must for long range shooting ,imo .A 300 win in f-class is going to have some major disadvantages ,imo!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

i would also suggest .308 simply for cost purposes and the variety of classes you can shoot with it. The .300 would put you into F-Open which is currently being "ruled" by the 6.5x284, and more recently the 7WSM.

There is the 7mm300WSM but as the rifle you are looking at does not come in this exact caliber thats kinda moot.

As for the .338 that would be some rifle however last i heard with reloaded ammo you are looking at somewhere in the reion of €50-€60 per 20 (prices were in sterling so thats arough guess) and in factory up to €100 per 20. Thats between €3- €5+ per shot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I heard the .300 win mag is about the limit most people can tolerate recoil wise so that maybe another factor on your choice.

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    I heard the .300 win mag is about the limit most people can tolerate recoil wise so that maybe another factor on your choice.

In a sporting rifle, about eight or eight and a half pounds yeah, but in a heavy gun, I reckon most could handle substantially more.

If you were to shoot either in their respective classess then you have 18 pound for the .308 and 22 pound for the .300. Thats alot of weigt to offset the recoil.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Mate of mine's waiting on a Sauer 202 in .300 Weatherby. Ask me have I reconsidered my position after that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

You are going to need a long, high quality custom barrel and a good bit of skill to shoot those targets. Most lads build their way up.

Cheers lads for the input, looks like .308 is the way to go.
    I'm not 100% sure if both rifles have a custom match barrel but I know one of them did... still waiting for this e-mail to arrive :/

Ezridax wrote: »
    As for the .338 that would be some rifle however last i heard with reloaded ammo you are looking at somewhere in the reion of €50-€60 per 20 (prices were in sterling so thats arough guess) and in factory up to €100 per 20. Thats between €3- €5+ per shot.

:| ouch yeah that put's a .338 out of the equation then.
    Hibrion wrote: »
    You are going to need a long, high quality custom barrel and a good bit of skill to shoot those targets. Most lads build their way up.

Oh yes I would imagine so, don't get me wrong I don't intend to simply jump up to 1200 yards over night. Be fun to try out and if I like it, that's something I can set as a goal for myself to work myself up towards :)

Oh yes I would imagine so, don't get me wrong I don't intend to simply jump up to 1200 yards over night. Be fun to try out and if I like it, that's something I can set as a goal for myself to work myself up towards :)

Match rifle is yer man so. Shot between 1,000 - 1,200 yards.

Of course there is always FTR shot between 600 - 1,000 yards until you work yourself up to the match rifle stuff. Each discipline has its own regs, but FTR is the best, "easiest", and cheapest to get into. Ideally you want a 30" barrel on the 308 so make sure it has at least this. Its needed for stabilsation and maintaining speeds at up to and pass 1,000 yards to 1,200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Is there safety area problems with the 338 as in the distance behind the bullet stop???
    which would seriously limit the number of ranges you could shoot at.

Is there safety area problems with the 338 as in the distance behind the bullet stop???

Not as long as the range is authorised for it, and I think MNSCI is authorised well up past .338.

Realistically a danger zone is just that, danger. I.e. Worst case scenario. It would have to be a decent area to allow for any shot that is put beyond the backstop.

It does indeed. There are few enough centrefire ranges because of the danger zone required, and even less authorised for the larger, more "exotic" calibers.
    Not as long as the range is authorised for it, and I think MNSCI is authorised well up past .338.

It is indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭7.62 rule

Has anyone here shot a 300mag? just interested to see if many own or use them, a cousin of mine has one, says the recoil is a bit much.

• Advertisement

7.62 rule wrote: »
    Has anyone here shot a 300mag? just interested to see if many own or use them, a cousin of mine has one, says the recoil is a bit much.

Have shot a couple. One was a heavy tactical style gun, and recoil was along the lines of a typical sporting weight .30-06. That is to say, you know it's there, it's a thump, but it's far from painful. The other was a light sporting rifle and it was definitely more substantial. It'd give you a bit of a sharp intake of breath but was nothing painful. Great cartridge for big game and longer ranges. Friend is currently waiting for a Sauer 202 in .300 Weatherby, which is a bigger .300 magnum again, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that goes. Should be fun, might end up with a new eyebrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

i would also suggest .308 simply for cost purposes and the variety of classes you can shoot with it. The .300 would put you into F-Open which is currently being "ruled" by the 6.5x284, and more recently the 7WSM.

There is the 7mm300WSM but as the rifle you are looking at does not come in this exact caliber thats kinda moot.

can you get a licence for a 338? didnt think any1 could. thought military only have that?

943yd "Mountain" Goat - Long Range Shooting look at this on youtube.. id go for a win mag any day :D

4200fps wrote: »
    943yd "Mountain" Goat - Long Range Shooting look at this on youtube.. id go for a win mag any day :D
    A good 300 win will shoot out to 1000+ yards but will not be consistant enough against 6.5s and 7mm in F-Class .Its a hunting case and not a target case .Maybe a 300 WSM but not a 300 win mag .

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

can you get a licence for a 338?

I've seen one here. Some brutal noise off it! :)

IRLConor wrote: »
    I've seen one here. Some brutal noise off it! :)
    how do u get a licence for one? are u a member of a shooting range?

You need to convince the chief super you have a good reason to have one for which an unrestricted firearm will not suffice. Tough enough to justify on those grounds. Did look like a lot of fun though. Personally, my restricted firearm tastes lean more towards African hunting rounds. There's a .375 H&H in my future somewhere.

how do u get a licence for one?

As It wasn't me! points out, it's a restricted firearm so there's a few extra hoops to jump through. I've no idea what reason was given to the Gardai for the particular .338 I saw though.

Personally, a .338 would be well down on the list of firearms I'd like to own. Expensive to feed, very few places to shoot it, even fewer competitions to use it in and so on.
    are u a member of a shooting range?

I'm a member of two, Midlands and DURC.

I'm a member of two, Midlands and DURC.

Some sight to see if you walked into DURC with a 338.:D

Expensive to feed, very few places to shoot it, even fewer competitions to use it in and so on.

The cheapest i've heard was €75 per 20 rounds, and they are like hens teeth to find.

As for comps, and shooting. I believe the midlands is the only range authorised to shoot such a rifle, and at 8.5mm it exceeds the rules for F-Class shooting (i'm nearly sure).

• Advertisement

Some sight to see if you walked into DURC with a 338.:D

Even the thought of firing one of those indoors gives me a headache. :D

There was/is a member of the midlands that had/has one. I remember seeing it being fired. Some kick, and blast of it. A novelty to watch, but i can honestly say it looked sore. After a box of rounds i'd say you'd know you fired every one.

There was/is a member of the midlands that had/has one. I remember seeing it being fired. Some kick, and blast of it.

That's probably the one I saw. I was standing maybe 10ft away and I could feel the blast from it.
    A novelty to watch, but i can honestly say it looked sore. After a box of rounds i'd say you'd know you fired every one.

Well, if your shoulder didn't hurt your wallet would!

That's probably the one I saw. I was standing maybe 10ft away and I could feel the blast from it.

Well, if your shoulder didn't hurt your wallet would!
    Oh man that must be a cannon. would have loved to see a rifle like that in action

Oh man that must be a cannon. would have loved to see a rifle like that in action

Was a Sako TRG 42. Nice gun. If I'm getting that much recoil though, I want it to be dangerous game legal, and the .338 isn't in the vast majority of Africa, where any realistic limit exists. It looks like it kicks about as hard as a .375, and makes more noise. It's got its uses, but I'd have no use for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

Had a shot with that TRG 338 fine rifle, Fired with brake which significantly reduced muzzle flip and recoil, Happy enough with my 308 LRS2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement