Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

longboard suppliers - sligo region

Options
  • 17-10-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

looking to upgrade my longboard and am based in sligo.
    want a 9 foot ish polyurethane construction, no interest in epoxy boards.
    the places i can think of are waxon, powersource, outerpoint, westbay, troggs, bundoran places and galway only seem to do epoxy.
    are there any other shops within reasonable distance i've not thought of?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Get one shaped

• Registered Users Posts: 47 agreenyblue

Sunset Watersports, near Sligo Bus Station. Adelaide Rd, beside Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

sunset do mostly bics i think but i will swing by as i know they have had some other boards so thanks for that.
    of the ones i mentioned powersource and waxon do customs so i had thought of that but thanks anyways.
    so many of the shops are just selling the low quality epoxy boards now :(
    someday in the distant future when i have some space on so on, i'm going to shape one myself, as much to have a go myself as to what kind of board i end up with :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

promethius wrote: »
    sunset do mostly bics i think but i will swing by as i know they have had some other boards so thanks for that.
    They do mostly epoxy like Take-offs + nsp surf series, but I was in there last week and I saw some customs inc a few 9ft ish ( I think it was 9 ft 1inch ) Tiki customs, polyurethane construction. Nice looking boards, may be worth a look. A friend got a new powersource custom shortboard there on sale for only 300 euro, happy days ...not sure how much the Tiki custom polyester /pu longboards there are on offer at, maybe 550 or 600. Waxon do lovely boards, same polyester /pu construction, it may be worth getting one shaped if budget allows. Nice to choose your own spray job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd have a good look at the west bay site if were you they do fully coustome Polyester and Epoxy boards - not cheap epoxy. Their prices are keen and I've only heard good things about them.

As soon as I have the funds I'll order a viper from them.

• Advertisement

thanks for great responses guys, will def call into sunset sails with that in mind. i'd been in touch with connor in wax on alright, they do nice stuff so a custom there is def an option. good to hear that about westbay, the pu boards seem good, the price is very good as well. plenty for me to think about thanks

The are some super mint condition longboards on the second hand market that are worth considering as well

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

thanks for great responses guys, will def call into sunset sails with that in mind. i'd been in touch with connor in wax on alright, they do nice stuff so a custom there is def an option. good to hear that about westbay, the pu boards seem good, the price is very good as well. plenty for me to think about thanks

have a look at the longboard ireland forum, there does be some great 2nd hand deals on there on a regular basis.

yeah i can't get onto that forum have registered but keep getting an error saying i can't view it. haven't seen many longboards in the classifieds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Longboard Ireland has some nice second hand board every now and again.

Or you could even look across the water if you have something specific in mind and have it shipped through Shipley or a similar courier. You might score a real bargain.

What kind of longboard do you have in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

get one shaped.
    I have a westbay 9'1. cost £389 a good few years back.
    though from what ive heard lately, glides boards mgiht be a bit cheaper and are top notch.

was looking at a McTavish Fireball Evolution, pricey but has got a serious rep. im tending to think something like this while produced on a big scale is developed from a top notch design from a serious shaper. if i get something custom shaped locally, not sure the design will be as good and the price would be similar. searching for these boards is half the fun :-)
    that board can be got from (have to collect) for €980, really over a grand when petrol added or €870 delivered to the door on magic seaweed. pricey for sure either way but this one would be my pride and joy and a keeper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gumbynation

I wouldnt be at all surprised if you could get a log shaped by glide for half the price you have quoted there, and custom suited to your style of surfing (or at least suited to where you want to go with your surfing!).
    You may also be surprised by the quality of some of the boards being shaped here.

thats said I've heard nothing but good things about fireballs

most of the custom boards around here are about the €700 mark so for a bit extra i'd be pretty much guaranteed a really nice board. i tried to email glide about pricing but didn't get anything back, what kind of ball parkfigures they pricing at for longboards? they look really nice aesthetically, do they surf as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 linnanea

Nowhere on the msw site do they say they are shaped by Bob McTavish - the shape is McTavish's but more than likely made far more cheaply somewhere a long way away from oz.

Get onto Glide on facebook; i don't think he uses the email on his website anymore. I've seen a few of his newer trad logs out in the water recently and they certainly surf as good as they look.

ah come on now, i never thought the board would be shaped by mctavish himself in fairness. it's the design you're buying, the poor man would be very busy otherwise :D

i'm not a facebook person (weirdo i know) but is there an email adress for glide? if they surf as well as they look they must be real nice.

Glad I'm not the only anti facebook freak:D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Glide had a class looking log at the surf meet in Strandhill a while ago. very tasty and I know a few lads who have got longboards shaped from him and are well pleased with them.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Glide had a class looking log at the surf meet in Strandhill a while ago. very tasty and I know a few lads who have got longboards shaped from him and are well pleased with them.

He left a few for sale at Outerpoint surf shop in Sligo according to his site, there's a pretty tasty looking log there, might be worth a look OP: http://allthingsglide.blogspot.com/

Love this one:D

DSCF3932.jpg
    Glide has made or sourced most of my boards over the last few years

• Advertisement

i'm liking the sounds of glide alright, any ball park ideas on the cost of his longboards? i know it will vary but with wax on you're talking about 700 for a nice custom is it something along those lines?

I have a 9'6 Fireball, mines a custom though, shaped in the Byron factory.

I remember looking at those GSI ones at the times but I thought they were too expensive for what they were. I got mine second hand from the UK and had it shipped. Cost overall came in at 550 euro, that was 3 years ago so board prices in Ireland have dropped a lot since then.

I saw one for sale a few weeks back on EBay UK and there was one for sale on longboard Ireland also so the customs do pop up now and again.

I guess if I was buying new in Ireland I would try Glide as those boards look real nice and professional looking.

By the way, my fireball is my favourite board. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Love my Glide Pintail and his more recent boards are excellent quality.
    Highly recommended!!

McTavish wise there is a beautiful 9'6" Fireball currently for sale on longboardireland.com for, I think, €650. As new condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

Hi there
    Sorry not been on here for a while
    If you are after me best way is to email me on the one on my blog
    There is a phone number there too if I don't answer I'm probably glassing, but I WILL call you back :o)
    Heres some rough guidelines
    Logs go from €550 to €750
    shortboards from €340
    fish from €450

Thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

yeah i can't get onto that forum have registered but keep getting an error saying i can't view it. haven't seen many longboards in the classifieds.

Yeah what is it with that website.... Have tried to register on several occasions and says requires administrator's approval....

Either he's out the back somewhere or s/he knows I prefer to surf fishes:cool:

loctite wrote: »
    Yeah what is it with that website.... Have tried to register on several occasions and says requires administrator's approval....

Either he's out the back somewhere or s/he knows I prefer to surf fishes:cool:

I think promethius got in since that, try again sure. They were fairly quick to approve mine when I registered i think.

thanks for all the input guys was all very helpful and informative, in the end i've ordered a custom from glide, chatting to paul he knows his stuff and listened to what i'm after, and the finish of the boards, well what can you say, something else. can't wait to get my hands on it.

it's been epic in sligo the last five days, surfing heaven......

thanks for all the input guys was all very helpful and informative, in the end i've ordered a custom from glide, chatting to paul he knows his stuff and listened to what i'm after, and the finish of the boards, well what can you say, something else. can't wait to get my hands on it.

it's been epic in sligo the last five days, surfing heaven......

Will be wanting to see some pics when you get the finished article :D

don't worry i wouldn't leave ye hanging after all the advice :D

• Advertisement

Same here, look forward to seeing what you get. :)

Advertisement