Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to drill a hole into..

• 17-10-2011 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

.. a cast iron pot?

I have an old cooking pot that has reached the end of its days in my mums kitchen. So far it has spent the last year or so outside and has no rust. I hope to grow some herbs in it next year. All my lighter pots/containers are getting battered in this wind...

I want to drill a hole in for drainage, it doesn't matter what size as I will put some slate over it to stop soil from clogging it up. Would the hole rust?

Thanks
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

i dont see why you cant, the trick with drilling metal is to go slow ( maybe quarter of full power) if you go fast you dull the bit and it wont cut, and it's good to use some oil on the bit were its cutting the metal, you can buy special cutting oil, but i would just use motor oil, a few drips helps keep it cool and helps carry the debris out of the way, keep cleaning the bit and material away and adding a few drips of oil, another trick is take a nail the bigger the better use it like a punch by hitting it with a hammer to mark an indentation this will help the drill bit get a bite otherwise it wants to wander around and can be frustrating trying to get it to start cutting, dont worry about the rust its gonna be outside anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Start with a new small bit like 4mm, then a slightly bigger bit and keep going up sizes in the bits until you have the size hole you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Forget drilling, just take a grinder and cut a few slots in the bottom.
    Way easier and cheaper then drill bits.
    If you don't have a grinder anyone with a workshop will be able to do it in a couple of minutes.

Advertisement