Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garage attached to house--freezing

• 17-10-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

my garage is attached to my house and its freezing in the winter, makes the hallway cold and the room overhead it is like an ice box. The garage door has gaps around the edges. I'm wondering what could I do to insulate it around the walls?? What kind of insulating sheets could I use? Do i need a layer of materials?? Is there any where online that i could find out exactly what to do?

Also what could i use to close the gaps around the garage door? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

my garage is attached to my house and its freezing in the winter, makes the hallway cold and the room overhead it is like an ice box. The garage door has gaps around the edges. I'm wondering what could I do to insulate it around the walls?? What kind of insulating sheets could I use? Do i need a layer of materials?? Is there any where online that i could find out exactly what to do?

Also what could i use to close the gaps around the garage door? thanks

it would be helpful if u could tell us a bit more about the age and construction of both house and garage as well as the kind of garage door.

Is the stairs along the garage wall?

Is the fuse board etc on the garage wall adjoining the house?

I am guessing here that its a concrete roof with the room built over it.

What kind of flooring is on the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maggot12345

House is 5 years old, hall/stairs is next to garage, fuse box attached outside, concrete roof with room over it and concrete floor,
    Any ideas? Thanks

House is 5 years old, hall/stairs is next to garage, fuse box attached outside, concrete roof with room over it and concrete floor,
    Any ideas? Thanks

I suspect the meter is outside but where is the fuseboard?

If the floor in room is concrete then you need to think about some form of floating/insulated floor, bearing in mind that you are restricted by habitable head room requirements and the floor level will be different from other rooms and door will need a piece off

Because the stairs is against the cold wall insulating ot on the inside will be tricky to do right and look right and be cost effective
    is there a toilet under the stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 maggot12345

fuse board is not attached to garage but is near the kitchen. No bathroom under stairs only storage. There is a door leading from hallway into the garage, it has a step down into the garage. I only use the garage for firewood etc so don't care about losing a bit of it spacewise if it kept the house warmer. The door of the garage is metal and there are gaps around edges---not huge but they do let in cold air.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

buy rigid mineral wool (with fire resistance properties) and fix to wall and concrete ceiling maybe even return it on the walls of the garage a little ( ie any wall that goes near the heated envelope).. this will reduce the heat loss it the house. ask the suppiler for their preferred fixing method explaining you may not cover the boards (unless required by cert of course)

• Advertisement

fuse board is not attached to garage but is near the kitchen. No bathroom under stairs only storage. There is a door leading from hallway into the garage, it has a step down into the garage. I only use the garage for firewood etc so don't care about losing a bit of it spacewise if it kept the house warmer. The door of the garage is metal and there are gaps around edges---not huge but they do let in cold air.

Metal door: is it insulated, if not replace with proper fire door with weather strips/ draft proof: this is major source of cold

Advertisement