Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fancy Restaurant

Options
  • 17-10-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi, I'm visiting the big smoke for a weekend break soon. Could anyone recommend a fancy cosy restaurant not too far from Grafton st?( incase we get lost):D
    We're not fussy! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

the millstone on dame street is fantastic & cosy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

oat wrote: »
    Hi, I'm visiting the big smoke for a weekend break soon. Could anyone recommend a fancy cosy restaurant not too far from Grafton st?( incase we get lost):D
    We're not fussy! Thanks

Have a cuisine in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

We both love Italian but I wouldn't mind trying something else for a change. It's a special occasion so I'd love something a bit fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

oat wrote: »
    We both love Italian but I wouldn't mind trying something else for a change. It's a special occasion so I'd love something a bit fancy

Is it a romantic nice out? Chez Marcel on Baggot st. is lovely. Cozy, intimate with lovely food and wine. (French)

How fancy do you want to go? Guibaud's is nice, as is the Shellbourne. Perhaps not as good atmosphere as cheaper places though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

One Pico is great if you want proper fancy.

Pichet and Darwin's are also excellent, though a grade of fanciness down.

For cosiness it's hard to beat The Trocadero or La Cave.

All are just a couple of streets from Grafton Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

Yes it is a romantic night. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start doing my research now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Peploes is consistent, fancy, cosy and on the green. Let us know how you get on wherever you end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Shanahan's on St Stephen's Green West.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Trocadero. Not cheap by any means, but the food is fabulous and the service is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Troc, absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Thortons (1 Michelin star) have a pre-theatre menu (out by 7.45) for 47 euro
    http://www.thorntonsrestaurant.com/pre-theatre-menu/

Never been but heard great things about
    http://www.thepigsear.ie/menu-and-beverages/

I went to Pichet and was very impressed - was lunch though

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

would you need to make reservations for these places or can you just walk in off the street?ive also been lookin for nice places for some fancy dinners around the same area

also what would be the price you could expect to pay for 2 people having dinner in one of these establishments. just a 2 course meal each and mayb a bottle of white wine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

CyberJuice wrote: »
    would you need to make reservations for these places or can you just walk in off the street?
    It's a good idea to book if you know you're going. Walking off the street is a question of luck.

also what would be the price you could expect to pay for 2 people having dinner in one of these establishments. just a 2 course meal each and mayb a bottle of white wine
    Follow the links. Read the menus. Do the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

you cant go wrong with Chez Max across the road from the Olympia for good wholesome french food, especially coming into the colder winter months, their Beef Bourgoinon is great

a little more up market you could try Pearl Brassarie or Chapter One. Also like the Green Hen on Exchequer Street & One Pico.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

would you need to make reservations for these places or can you just walk in off the street?ive also been lookin for nice places for some fancy dinners around the same area

you can easily get an early bird in most places, with bottle of win for anywhere between 40-65

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

jameshayes wrote: »
    the millstone on dame street is fantastic & cosy

Its far from fancy though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Good World Chinese Restaurant on South Great George's St. Proper food for proper people :D

Seriously, it's delicious. Always go there whenever I'm back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Was in Pearl Brasserie recently, fantastic. Nice atmosphere and fabulous food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I brought my OH to Cliff Town House, on Stephens green for his birthday, it was absolutely incredible, I couldn't speak highly enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

bamboozle wrote: »
    you can easily get an early bird in most places, with bottle of win for anywhere between 40-65

I keep reading this sentence as some kind of euphemism :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Shanahans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

McDonald's is as good as any, lovely food, great atmosphere, busy, clean, irish produce and consistent. I wonder though if it's a bit upmarket for you given the times we're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Chez Max or One Pico get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Richard571

Shanahan's on St Stephen's Green West.

Agree - pricey but best steak I've ever had....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lazywhole

Nandos on mary st !

Advertisement