Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eating out in kilkenny city

Options
  • 17-10-2011 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

any one know of some nice places to eat out in kilkenny city... im bringing the missus out for dinner but im not from here so not to sure where to go

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There's sh*tloads of places. Really great selection.

1) How much do you want to spend?
    2) What kind of food are you after?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Had a lovely meal y'day in Little Italy, John St. Great service as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Zuni do a good two course for €23 before seven, not sure if it's available on a saturday. There was a thread recently so just flick back a month or so for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rusty_ie2004

chinese go to ming court on john st. Italian go to little italy also on johns st. for everything else ripples on the butterslip. if you want somewhere really fancy rinuccini which is near kilkenny castle or champagne in the arches but both every expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

little italy is the place down near the pedestrian entrance to kkcoco isnt it i know there is an italian place cant remember if its that or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I Like Zuni and Campagne but both would be on the higher end of the price scale.

Little italy is nice and there's good value to be had in The Italian Connection at the moment.

I have heard Yindees is deadly for asian food but I've never been. Royal Spice is really lovely if Indian is your thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

i had a look at all of the suggestions on their websites and im gonna go with little italy we both like italian food so its a win win :) thanks for all the ideas folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

mfitzy wrote: »

This place was recommended to me, and I was very disappointed with it. Was there last April, thought it was average food with terrible service. Would never eat there again.

zootroid wrote: »
    This place was recommended to me, and I was very disappointed with it. Was there last April, thought it was average food with terrible service. Would never eat there again.

Really? I was only in it for the 1st time lately and have gone back twice and was very good each time.

For somewhere cheap and cheerful I'd recommend La Rivista

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

is rinuccini's still open? was there a few years back and loved it.

donalg1 wrote: »

Was there about a year ago. They do a nice steak

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

donalg1 wrote: »

It is very much still open and I think its one of the nicest places I've ever eaten, and the service is second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Lot of people on here moaning about it for some reason. I havent been in a while so I can't comment. I just remember the tables being really close together. Handy if you're on your own and want to listen in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

zootroid wrote: »
    Really? I was only in it for the 1st time lately and have gone back twice and was very good each time.

Went through a phase of going to Little Italy for lunch once a week and was always quite happy with it. €12.95 for main course, dessert and coffee.

Tend to go to La Trattoria these days as I think the quality is somewhat better. Ah, their seafood pasta.... drool.

Then, across the road is La Palmyra. Quite nice when I was there for lunch a few months ago.

Three Italian restaurants in a short stretch of John St....

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

As long as you don't eat in Ripley's, you'll be doing okay. Uncle Sam's would offer a better quality dining experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Hey man, don't be dissin Uncle Salmonella's. They be doin some mighty fine ham pizza yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I haven't had uncle sams in years, but from what I remember they had an awesome uncle sam burger.

I know this is a bit off topic but what would you say is the best take away pizza in Kilkenny (aside from pizza hut, & domino's)?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I haven't had uncle sams in years, but from what I remember they had an awesome uncle sam burger.

I know this is a bit off topic but what would you say is the best take away pizza in Kilkenny (aside from pizza hut, & domino's)?

I usually switch between Mizzoni and Dominos. Problem with Mizzoni is that I usually end up ordering too much (meal 2 (with chicken) is cheaper than pizza and drink on it's own). I know this is one of the most inane reasons ever.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Mizzoni's or Sam's...

One of the finest steaks I've had was in Ripley's, believe it or not!
    Sorry.... I'l go now.

• Advertisement

Threadhead wrote: »
    As long as you don't eat in Ripley's, you'll be doing okay. Uncle Sam's would offer a better quality dining experience.

Is that place gone down hill? Been a year or two since I was in it and it was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I usually switch between Mizzoni and Dominos. Problem with Mizzoni is that I usually end up ordering too much (meal 2 (with chicken) is cheaper than pizza and drink on it's own). I know this is one of the most inane reasons ever.

Ive never tried Mizoni's but I always hear its great so Ill head there then. Its not too expensive I hope. Thing is, I was planning to get a pizza from Coney Island in Waterford but an appointment came up in Kilkenny :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Is that place gone down hill? Been a year or two since I was in it and it was excellent.
    I was there for my sisters engagment dinner a few months ago found it to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ive never tried Mizoni's but I always hear its great so Ill head there then. Its not too expensive I hope. Thing is, I was planning to get a pizza from Coney Island in Waterford but an appointment came up in Kilkenny :(.
    Mizzoni's is great, get a 20inch pizza for the same price as a 13.5 from domino's

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Threadhead wrote: »

Ive been to ripleys, quite a few times and never once had anything wrong with the food.
    There is swfa wrong with the place, the fact that its booked out Friday and Saturday nights should tell you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Yea Im surprised by the negative comments about rippleys. The only fault i could find with the place is that the service can be slow at times but on the occaision that this happened the owner told me that he hadnt expected it to be that busy. I think they have a fantastic range of foods on the menu and deserts that are different.

Rinuccini's is lovely. A bit pricey but well worth it.

Italian Connection is nice too, They have droped their prices in the last few weeks but also seem to have dropped the size of the portions too.

Ive only eaten in Key Largo once but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I had one of the worst meals of my life in Ripley's. Subsequently, I heard nothing but raves about the place so I figured I was doing something wrong. So I went back and subsequently had the worst meal of my life complete with horrific service. I've heard of many horrible dining experiences that people have had there.

But hey, it's true that they're always packed out so they're obviously doing something right. Maybe the two times I went were off days but I'm not willing to spend that amount of money being wrong a third time.

As for takeaway pizza, Mizzoni's would be my preference but in general, the standard of takeaway pizza in Kilkenny has been fantastic in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

lautrecs is the best for food by far. expensive but you get what u pay for. fantastic steak and chicken, best ive eaten in my thirty short years on this planet. highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Another vote for Rinuccini, excellent food, very expensive, but I liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 redbiddy

Live here, eat here, enjoy the good things in life, Campagne, Zuni, Cafe Sol, Rinucinni's end of.

Advertisement