Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haemochromatosis

• 17-10-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi guys! I'm a carrier of HC was always told I would never develop it but recently I had my teenage sons tested and both are carriers too but when my doc rang with the results she said there was a chance they would develop it and she would be keeping an eye on them.
    Is this a new discovery that carriers can now develop it, what are the chances? I can't seem to pin down any specific info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

maiden wrote: »
    Hi guys! I'm a carrier of HC was always told I would never develop it but recently I had my teenage sons tested and both are carriers too but when my doc rang with the results she said there was a chance they would develop it and she would be keeping an eye on them.
    Is this a new discovery that carriers can now develop it, what are the chances? I can't seem to pin down any specific info!

Hi i have HC, my understanding is both parents have to be carriers for there to be a 50% chance to pass it on to there children, afaik you cant just delevop HC you either have it or you dont, both my parents are carriers and have had tests done, all clear for HC infact out of the 6 kids im the only one who got it, caught it early be accident in james's hospital while on another check - up, simple genetic test will tell you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Thanks for reply, and that was my understanding when I was tested, your a carrier but will never develop it!

But my GP is saying there is a chance carriers can go on to develop it, so just looking for clarification on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JonathanAd

Yes I think Luckyfrank is right as there are some genetic reasons behind it and without it children can not become carriers.

Advertisement