Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Subjects

• 17-10-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I was wondering what is the easiest science subject and what is the hardest. i heard that biology is the easiest and chemistry is the hardest but more people got a1s in chemistry than they did in biology. and if that is so what about physics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wehwehweh

I reckon that biology is the easiest and chemistry is the most difficult, bearing in mind I never did JC science. But i don't do physics so i cant really say.
    I wouldn't class biology as easy, its a lot of learning off so if your good at that you'l be fine. With chemistry its more understanding based, but if you get it your sorted!
    I prefer chemistry because the class is smaller because everyone felt it would be really hard etc. But the biology course is definitely more understandable and easier to relate to!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Depends what kind of learner you are. I you're good at rote learning biology is easy as pie. If you like to really understand things and can remeber definitions perfectly chemistry can be easy enough. ANd if you're mathmatically minded and logical then physics will be easy.
    The only reason chemistry's A1 rate is higher is because a lot of people take up biology expecting it to be easy and then don't put the work in, whereas chemistrys reputation scares people off and the only people that do it are the ones that are going to work for it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Wehwehweh

The only reason chemistry's A1 rate is higher is because a lot of people take up biology expecting it to be easy and then don't put the work in, whereas chemistrys reputation scares people off and the only people that do it are the ones that are going to work for it

This is true, for example in my year there are 2 biology classes with students of various dedication levels ranging from non-existent to standard. But, there is one chemistry class with 16 students and i would say that 14 out of the class will do really well in it and get well over 500 points in the leaving cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

The easiest for you will be the one you enjoy the most (or at least find easiest for the Junior Cert) So if you like biology now go for that or ag. science, but if physics is your thing then consider that or phys/chem, etc.

Some link up to other subjects (like geography, maths, and probably social) a little, so you could also look at your other subjects and see what might be a good combination.

Just go for what interests you rather than what is supposedly 'easy'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Oh dear god I posted in the wrong thread by accident :L anyways now that I'm here might as well give my opinion. I do biology and chemistry, and I do faaar better in biology simply because I prefer it. There are people in my class then who would be the complete opposite and do better in chemistry because they prefer it! Have a look through books and maybe read through a few people's notes. See what YOU prefer. It's all very well and good telling you whats easiest for us, but it mightn't be the case for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I do all three 3 sciences and personally I absolutely love Chemistry. I find it completely fascinating. Physics is great if you like maths/figures. I do applied Maths as well so that really helps me with Physics. Biology is great if you can rote learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

I do Biology, Chemistry and Agricultural Science (Don't know if it's offered in your school??) In my opinion, I find Biology and Ag Science equally the easiest, most of it is rote learning as people have said and not much understanding required however bear in mind two things:
    -If you don't actually have an interest, it will be hell, my friend is reasonably smart and picked Biology despite not really liking Science becasue it's perceived as the "easiest" of the sciences but he done pretty bad in his LC this year simply because he hated the subject so much.
    -The Biology papers seem to be changing to try stop people just rote learning the big topics, see 2011 paper, a few curveballs on it (On a side note, so mad that they chose my year to change the paper, got an A2 and was aiming for the A1 :mad::P)

Chemistry is harder if you prefer rote learning as you really need to understand the material in Chemistry. However, the Chemistry course is shorter and classes are usually smaller so better learning environment. There's usually a higher percentage of A1s in Chemistry because, based on my class, the standard of student that picks the subject is higher than Biology.

If you're interested in Ag Science, it's pretty much along the lines of Biology except there's a project to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JuniorMint

My school does not offer ag science. I have an interest in all sciences and am a very quick learner and understander. i'm doing honours maths and find physics VERY easy, I find biology very interesting and chemistry challenging (but in a good way) I would love to keep on all three of them but i may not be able because of timetables

Advertisement