Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Series 2011

• 17-10-2011 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Who's your money on?
    I'm going with St.Louis because I'm still bitter at Texas for beating my Phillies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Who's your money on?
    I'm going with St.Louis because I'm still bitter at Texas for beating my Phillies.
    Wasn't it the Cardinals who knocked out the Phillies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Crucial Youth

Ha you're right. My bad. Why do I have so much hatred for the Rangers on my mind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Rangers in 5

They'll take 1 each in Saint Louis and then the Rangers will sweep in Texas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think its great that that a team like St. Louis made it. They have limited pitching compared to other teams but their hitting is just awesome. I also think Rafael Furcal was a great pickup as an upgrade as shortstop. Hes a good hitter aswell, seems to come up big in the clutch.

Ogando was throwing some serious pitches against the Tigers.I think they might just take it.
    Gotta figure out where I'm watching this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm going with the Rangers in 6. For no particular reason and my predictions are usually awful so bet on the Cardinals if you want to make money. It seems like it's going to a close series as neither teams have starting pitching in form so it could be a home run fest turning into a battle of the bull-pens, I'm really looking forward to it

I'm gonna go with the Rangers aswell. They were there last year so have the experience of that plus they are not up against as tough starting pitching. Their bullpen is improved and they have Beltre and Napoli in their lineup who they didnt have last year. That said who would have thought the Cardinals would be in the World Series a month ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Cards in 6. Random guess but I don't think the Texas starting pitchers will be good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Rangers all the way I think.
    They had good starting pitching and hitters anyway, they added a great bullpen with Adams and Uehara in the window.

Cards pitching is a weak link I think, espceially if they use Westbrook in the rotation and Edwin Jackson is Edwin Jackson...

Cards batting is ON FIRE though, so who knows..

If the cards had Wainwright, I think they might win, but if they had Wainwright they wouldn't have had to shore up the bullpen during the year...ifs and buts...

Detailed write up on why the Cards will win
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7121973/st-louis-seven

Still think Texas will take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

with no thought nor reason I think rangers in 5.

However if the cards were to win i expect pujols to get the entire organisation in his contract

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19923789&topic_id=11493214&partnerId=aw-6680885229448012608-996
    I'm unsure about the rules in this case.hitting the foot after its struck.does that count as a foul ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19923789&topic_id=11493214&partnerId=aw-6680885229448012608-996
    I'm unsure about the rules in this case.hitting the foot after its struck.does that count as a foul ball?

Yup, foul ball as long as he's in the box when hit. Not sure what the ump was thinking on that one

Yup, foul ball as long as he's in the box when hit. Not sure what the ump was thinking on that one

I presume he thought he was faking it. Can't think of anything else.

The top of the first inning was great last night. What a way to start the series. A hit then caught stealing followed by a great dive by Carpenter to get the out after Pujol's bad throw. I'm surprised the Texas player didn't 'accidentally' stand on Carpenter's hand while going for the bag.

I'm surprised the Texas player didn't 'accidentally' stand on Carpenter's hand while going for the bag.
    I bet a Brewers player would have, they really like Carpenter up there...NOT :)

Should be another interesting game tonight. Garcia is good at home so no surprise to see him start for the Cards. I wouldn't have fancied him starting in Texas and now he wont have to...

I'm missing these games but seeing highlights on my phone through the MLB app and their Twitter feed is quite good. Victorino is also doing coverage for Fox.
    I'm hopefully going to see game three as ill be somewhere with internet.I got a real early flight on Saturday morning but baseball>sleep I think.

Kinsler stole that base like he was in Oceans 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Never even seen that thread. Is it fair to make a prediction after two games? Going for the Rangers myself. Very impressive against the Tigers.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Never even seen that thread. Is it fair to make a prediction after two games? Going for the Rangers myself. Very impressive against the Tigers.
    Baseball results are always hard to predict but Texas needed that win on Thursday night. I think they will be happy enough going into tonight's game with the series tied. Tonight will be the only game I will be able to watch live so looking forward to it...

Texas have really been screwed by a blown call. Holliday was as out as they come and now they trail by a truckload of runs. Baseball really needs to bring in instant replay. I have thought this since Galarraga was done out of the perfect game...

• Advertisement

Nelson Cruz just hit ANOTHER HR. The man is on fire in the post season.

Coeus wrote: »
    Texas have really been screwed by a blown call. Holliday was as out as they come and now they trail by a truckload of runs. Baseball really needs to bring in instant replay. I have thought this since Galarraga was done out of the perfect game...

They were, but they didn't help themselves with some horrible defensive play either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

BOOM! Lets go Cards!

I think Albert's going to get paid. He can probably name his price/no. of years after that performance.

I think Albert's going to get paid. He can probably name his price/no. of years after that performance.
    You gotta think the Cubs will sign either him or Prince for whatever they want...

Must win game for Texas tonight. They'll be in a real hole tomorrow if they are 3-1 down in the series and up against Carpenter...

Great game for Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

That was almost a disastrous 1st for Garcia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Rangers should be flying away with this!

That was nasty for Naopli....hopefully he'll be able to go on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Unbelievable stuff in game 6. Roll on game 7!

Yea, just seen the boxscore, game looked insane, the Cards just wont go away. I might just stay up tonight :)

Yea, just seen the boxscore, game looked insane, the Cards just wont go away. I might just stay up tonight :)

Me too. I doubt we'll get as good a game as last night's one sounded like

Went to bed after the Top of the 5th....raging!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Got the snacks and beer in, got Game 6 on demand then Game 7.

Then sleep. :)

I'm watching the rerun on ESPN America now. Top of the 9th, its just about to go off...

I see that Carpenter is slated to start tonight. He wasnt that good last time on short rest...

Will be watching later aswell, thank god there is no rugby to get up for smile.gif

• Advertisement

Pissed i missed last night but tonight I have a plethora of cokes in the fridge and decent links to watch this.I do have a dentists appointment...at half twelve.No probs :)

I was watching live lads, unreal stuff, really was. Tonight's bound to be a damp squib now.

Just over 2 hours left ! Hopefully its worth staying up for !

amacachi wrote: »
    Tonight's bound to be a damp squib now.
    Lets keep the PMA.Its going to be a good game,11 innings or not

Here we go. What was Kinsler at :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Take off Carpenter now. He shouldn't have been starting agter what happened the last day after short rest

Once again I switch on at the right time. :pac:

Tie game. CJ Wilson is going to tear it up.

If the Cards win, Freese has gotta win the series MVP. This game is picking up where it left off last night :)

Damn it PuJols!

I see that Carpenter is slated to start tonight. He wasnt that good last time on short rest...
    He isn't doing too bad tonight. That could all change though now that I said that.

I was cursing Young out on Twitter there and then he made that catch #apologiesdude.

He isn't doing too bad tonight. That could all change though now that I said that.
    Yea, he was shaky in the first but is motoring now. Making good use of his curve ball and is now finding the strike zone...

If the Cards win, Freese has gotta win the series MVP.

100% agree. Between Cruz and Napoli for Rangers if they win, likely Napoli, but Freese is nailed on you'd think

Carpenter looked shaky to start but he's definitely getting the zone under control now. Every now and again he throws a pitch that reminds you how good he is, curveball looking good.

Harrison has to go soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement