Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inefficient animal charity

• 17-10-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Just wondering if anyone out there knows who should I report to about an inefficient animal charity organisation?
    The situation has been bothering me for a few months now, since they arit has come to my attention that they putting down more animals than saving (which contradicts the objective of "animal protection")

Anyone has any advice on what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Unless the charity is cruely treating the animals there's nothing you can do about it, there isn't anyone to report to about 'inefficient' charities. Some of the best known animal charities in the country have appalling PTS figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Unfortunately this is a sign of the times we are in. Hundreds of small animals are being abandoned every week and there is nowhere to re-house them on such a scale.

There was no problem a few years ago - everyone wanted a dog / cat / pony and they got them. The problem is looking after animals costs money and many people can no longer afford them and they drop them into refuge centres. Some leave them down laneways to roam wild until found.

I saw a recent report that said the number of animals being put asleep in rescue centres is at a record high - hopefully it changes as quickly as possible.

BTW - Have you thought of going into the said charity and asking them about their work and what problems they are currently experiencing and if they could do with a volunteer. My guess is you'll see a very different side of things very quickly and how difficult it is for these places to do what is currently required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Dont feel you cant do anything. You might be surprised if you email your local Senator, the Dept of the Environment,your Local County Council...your Local Newspaper,Nationwide newspapers etc

There's alot of issues needing and wanting to be heard these days, written the right way, you will be very surprised who'll listen.

Explanative and emotive, not argumentative can and will be effective ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maureen_d

Thanks for the replies! Its sad to hear that this is happening with all animal charities.

I have been doing volunteer work for them for a while, this is how I know so many are being put down.
    I guess my main problem is that myself and other volunteers have offered to help some of the animals that have come in and next thing we hear is that they were put down without even asking us or taking our offers. I would have thought an "animal protection" charity would exhaust all options to protect the animal before putting them down.

But there are only a couple of people at the top that make all the decisions. We've tried talking to them without any luck, this is why I thought I should do something else, like Anniehoo mentioned maybe newspapers.

I will think more about this one and see if there is anything else I can do to actually help the animals, since that's why I joined.

Thanks for the thoughts! It helped me clear my hear a little and think of more options!

It is very frustrating. A lot of places don't have a 'no kill' policy for various reasons and whether it's a good thing or not has been debated here for a good while. Is the very head person aware of the offers that have been ignored and the animals put down anyway? And have they given you any explaination for this? Like Anniehoo said a well worded letter might work if the very head person is not aware.

Would you be in a position to volunteer with a genuine 'no kill' shelter? Some say they're 'no kill' but in actual fact do pts so enquire carefully or people here could give you recommendations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Maureen_d wrote: »
    I guess my main problem is that myself and other volunteers have offered to help some of the animals that have come in and next thing we hear is that they were put down without even asking us or taking our offers. I would have thought an "animal protection" charity would exhaust all options to protect the animal before putting them down.

But there are only a couple of people at the top that make all the decisions. We've tried talking to them without any luck, this is why I thought I should do something else, like Anniehoo mentioned maybe newspapers.

Have you thought of putting it in writing to the people at the top? Sometimes that has more effect than just saying it to them? Write a letter about how you would like to help more, and have solutions, if its a thing that fostering is something you guys can commit to then maybe say that, or say about what other options that you can help with.

Then when you go to the media you will have proof that there are people trying to combat that amount of animals being put to sleep but they wont/ cant take you up on it for whatever reason. There maybe real reasons (insurance/cost/time) they haven't done what you have asked.

Also ask for their reply to be in writing also. :)

Yep, my next step for sure is to offer my services to a "no kill" organisation. These guys won't be getting my help anymore and they will know why!

The only problem is that their animals will still be put down, so I'm still brain storming how I'm going get around this issue effectively.

I like the idea of the letters. I believe I have been dealing with the people at the top, which made it all the more frustrating. But hopefully we will be able to get some sort of compromise out of them. I know things are tough out there for these places, but I think they should be reaching out for more help and not just killing the animals.

Thanks all for the replies

Best of luck with it. I guess it comes down to whether charities think it's better to home as many dogs as possible so can't hang onto the less homeable dogs for long or whether they think it's better to deal with the dogs on their books no matter how long it takes. Until we deal with the overpopulation of dogs in the country I'm not sure there'll ever be a satisifactory answer. It woud be fantastic if you got some kind of changes in though

Yep.. I agree. Too many cats and dogs. There is a feral cat protest on tomorrow, I think they are trying to get some attention to this. Anyway, I'll get my thinking cap on and see if there is something that can be done.

Advertisement