Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyonr recommend a good horror short story collection?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

I've read most of Stephen King's short story collections (both horror and non horror) and was wondering if anyone could recommend any other writers who have written similar short story collections in the horror/supernatural vein.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

First that comes to mind is Clive Barkers Books of Blood series.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Tales of the Unexpected by Roald Dahl - not sure if it's strictly the horror genre but most of them are a bit creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

The Necronomicon, a collection of some of the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Lots of lovely Cthulhu mythos in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You might like

Black Water: Anthology of Fantastic Literature (Picador Books)
    Editor Alberto Manguel

Not horror. Spooky\fantastical\supernatural

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭eamor

Do you 'listen' to books? I have read a lot of Stephen King also, but I was in the library recently and came across an audio version of (stephen king) short stories. WOW...whole different experience...I commute a lot, so audiobooks keep me sane:D If you happened to be on the M7 last friday evening around 10pm, passing by a serious freaked out lady in a red almera...eh..that was me!!!:rolleyes:

really sad thing is, I have read it before so I knew what was coming!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 guyserious

Another good one to check out is John Connolly's Nocturnes. It has some really creepy stories and it has been compared to King in a lot of reviews it gets. I'd really recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

guyserious wrote: »
    Another good one to check out is John Connolly's Nocturnes. It has some really creepy stories and it has been compared to King in a lot of reviews it gets. I'd really recommend it.

Yes, I read that one. Very enjoyable indeed.

Exactly the type of book I'm talking about - I must give it another read soon, actually...

Advertisement