Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donate extra food items from my home

Options
  • 17-10-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi please, please direct me if I’m in the wrong forum.

I did a major kitchen clearout over the weekend and donated all my surplus kitchen utilises/cooking/baking stuff (all in saleable and brand new condition) to my local charity shop.

However when I cleared out my food cupboard there were plenty of items that were surplus, all in date, unopened and stored correctly, is there anywhere in Rush/skerries/Balbriggan area that these can be donated to. For example there was 3 tins sweet corn, box shredded wheat, several tins of fruit, Jams, tins of kidney beans, micro popcorn, chocolate syrup etc. etc. – about 25 items in total and all completely random I agree.

I know in my own primary school days when the school "Sale of Work" was on there was always a food stall so perhaps someone would know if this still happens and if so which school.

My only alternative was to empty the contents into the brown bin but if anyone can suggest somewhere else for these things please let me know – thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Thanks Hill Billy for making my post all neat and tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

you might be able to donate them to the simon communtidy ,or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Meals on Wheels?
    The Capuchin Day Mission would take food donations but they're in Dublin City Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

friends of asd/adhd will take them.i even have a local family in mind.6 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Cats.Whiskers

Well, yesterday I put them all in a box and left them in my work kitchen on a table near our notice board and put a sign on the box saying “I’ve just cleared out my presses, nice homes needed”, we have a staff of 70+ so everything was gone by home time. I was delighted as I didn’t really want to place everything in the green bin and most of the stuff was too little in quantity and probably inappropriate for a large scale operation like “Meals on Wheels” or “Simon” but thanks for your suggestions

Anyway

This morning in the same box there were three packets of “Go ahead” Bars, some Slim-a-soups and a packet of foxes mints. They were left by someone else, not me.

Just shows, some of us must have a few random things in our presses that we’re never going to eat/use and if there was someone/organisation willing to provide a donation point in any of the towns it could be successful, especially when you find yourself stock piling not just on foodstuffs but items like washing liquid, shampoo etc. on those 2 for 1 shopping deals.

Congrats Cathy on your new arrival, you’ve most likely got your hands full but there you are still thinking of others. Hope you remember to tell Santa to add another little one to his list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

This morning in the same box there were three packets of “Go ahead” Bars, some Slim-a-soups and a packet of foxes mints. They were left by someone else, not me.

Brilliant idea for anyone's workplace. Wonder will anyone leave some wine!!!:D

Advertisement