Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Airport to Galway City

Options
  • 17-10-2011 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

How much is a taxi from the airport into galway does anybody know off hand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think it's about 15 - but can vary quite a bit depending on traffic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think the rates from the airport are set by the council regardless of the traffic.
    All fares are displayed on a sign just outside the airport entrance.
    A trip to Ballybrit (3 minutes from the airport) costs the same as a trip to Jury's Inn.
    But the fare increases if you cross the River Corrib.
    So if you're going to somewhere around Dominic St, you'd be better off getting off at Supermac's on Bridge Street and walking the rest of the short distance.

I had a big row with a taxi driver over this in the past. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.galwayairport.com/to_and_from/By_Taxi/8
    The Big-O-Taxi-Co are the official Taxi partners for Galway Airport and provide full cover for all incoming flights irrespective of flight arrival time.
    http://www.bigotaxis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

Lapin wrote: »
    I think the rates from the airport are set by the council regardless of the traffic.
    All fares are displayed on a sign just outside the airport entrance.
    A trip to Ballybrit (3 minutes from the airport) costs the same as a trip to Jury's Inn.
    But the fare increases if you cross the River Corrib.
    So if you're going to somewhere around Dominic St, you'd be better off getting off at Supermac's on Bridge Street and walking the rest of the short distance.

I had a big row with a taxi driver over this in the past. :mad:
    LOL....I don't know where you heard this. It ain't true. Normal fares apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Traffic can be light and it can be horrendous
    15 sounds about right but it can be more

Lapin, I've never heard of this at all

• Advertisement

LOL....I don't know where you heard this. It ain't true. Normal fares apply.

Cab driver told me.
    When I lived on Fr Griffin Rd about 6 years ago I was told I'd be better off walking up to the rank at Bridge St. (3 min walk) rather than getting one from my house. It would save me €8.

On another occasion about 8 years ago I arrived off a flight from Luton. At the airport taxi rank I was quoted a fare of €18 to Ballybrit by the first taxi in the queue. While protesting that this was too steep for such a short distance, his collegues joined him to back him up. They said the fare was set in stone by the council and I'd either have to pay it or walk.
    I told them I'd phone a Hackney instead, to which they replied. Hackneys aren't allowed to pick up at the airport. That may be so I said. But there is no law stopping them from picking me up in the Shell Station across the road, and off I went and got my lift about 5 minutes later for les than half the price I was quoted on the rank. The taxi drivers were visibly pissed off but there was nothing they could do about it.

After that day, I always booked a Hackney when boarding a plane to Galway to let them know what time my plane was due in. I got great pleasure in walking past the same taxi drivers on the rank when I arrived and got into a waiting Hackney just outside the airport gate !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cab driver told me.
    When I lived on Fr Griffin Rd about 6 years ago I was told I'd be better off walking up to the rank at Bridge St. (3 min walk) rather than getting one from my house. It would save me €8.

It's always cheaper to walk to a rank or flag one down in the street, 'cos the regulator has allowed companies to charge up to E4 for phoning in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cab driver told me.

We have a national fare in place now but you know this.
    The days of hiking the prices when you crossed a county line are over.

Maybe crossing the Corrib was an old rule in Galway though I never heard of it. It's gone now

What happened six years ago would not happen you now
    JustMary wrote: »
    It's always cheaper to walk to a rank or flag one down in the street, 'cos the regulator has allowed companies to charge up to E4 for phoning in.

Two euro to call out a taxi

mikemac wrote: »
    We have a national fare in place now but you know this.
    The days of hiking the prices when you crossed a county line are over.

Maybe crossing the Corrib was an old rule in Galway though I never heard of it. It's gone now

What happened six years ago would not happen you now

Cheers.
    Didn't know that, but then its about 5 years since I lived in Galway city.
    I was just telling it as it was when I was there.

Glad to see the regulator has brought a halt to the greed.

Advertisement