Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine Questions!

• 17-10-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi guys. I'm currently in sixth year and i need to fill out my CAO and all that kinda stuff so I'm researching a load of courses and the medicine course really appealed to me but I'm just a little unsure and i kinda feel like i need to ask somebody who is actually doing/ has done the course two questions!
    1) -When did you know you wanted to study medicine?
    2) -Why did you want to study medicine?
    I'm contemplating applying put I don't know if i'd be able for it. I'm not one of those people who have been saying "I want to be a doctor" since they were three, but i do think it would be an incredibly interesting rewarding course and career and i definitely want a career in a related field!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

4th year medical student here.

I'm unusual in that I always wanted to study medicine (had first aid kits and toy stethoscopes as a child, etc.) but when push came to shove I put something else on my CAO. I ended up doing half a year of that course before dropping out and reapplying. Doing medicine is the best decision I ever made. I love it.

I wanted to do medicine because it's a chance to genuinely help people and it's really fascinating stuff. It's social, scientific and practical in whatever ratio you like.

Even if you end up liking something different but related, medicine is a fabulous starting point for many other things. It's a commitment, but very doable.

Even people in my year who did it because of family wishes have grown to love it. Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you choose. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM. :)

Advertisement