Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Warranty/Insurance

Options
  • 18-10-2011 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

I bought a laptop back in 2008, and included in the deal I bought a 4 year warranty/insurance policy as I use the laptop for work and would be handy incase anything happened to it as it was quite expensive costing €2300. As part of the deal I was offered a second battery instead of a large one which I also bought.

3 years later and it has broken. They have had a look at it and said it is beyond economic repair and have offered a replacement which I am happy with.

My problem is as my model has been discontinued, they are giving me a different laptop which they tell me my second battery wont fit. They say they cannot give me a second battery and thats just the way it is. Is this fair? Can they just refuse?

My other question is about the remaining warranty/insurance. They have told me that the new laptop will be covered for warranty but the insurance does not swap onto the new system. They offered to sell me a new insurance package for the replacement. Can they just tell me that its not transferable? Surely if I paid for 4 years insurance, They cannot just cancel the remaining months?

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Hey,

That's a bit of an unusual case you have there so I'm not 100% sure, I worked in retail for 10 years as both sales assistant and manager including sections that provided warranty/insurance on laptops so I'll give you my 2 cents and I think that it goes something like this.

Laptop + Insurance purchased.
    Issue with laptop - offered repair replacement refund,
    Repair didn't work so replacement offered of similar model as your model wasn't available. (this is acceptable in consumer law)

I suppose you could look at the battery from 2 different angles

1, The battery is considered an extra accessory that you purchased separately even if its on the same receipt, you did not have to purchase the battery, so therefore does not come under the original contract of purchasing the laptop and therefore not covered.

For instance I bought a phone then bought a speaker dock the phone got replaced and now the phone doesn't fit into the speaker dock, although I'm sure the retailer will try to oblige they cannot be expected to have a replacement ready for an accessory that's 3 years old.

2, The only Caveat to that is if you purchased the whole thing in 1 go as a deal. if the Battery was purchased on the original receipt as part of a deal, then they would be expected to cover all parts and accessories.

As far as the insurance goes, going by previous experience in both phone and laptop insurance, generally when the product is no longer being covered a refund of the remaining months is given but generally is not transferred over. I would check the T&C's on that one and see what they say about replacements, but if they offered nothing I would definitely be bringing that to their attention and challenging that again depending on the T&C's (you may have signed up and said you agree to this policy), if the store is not co-operating then perhaps their head office might say a little different?

If its PC World you purchased it from then I would suggest talking to Declan on here as he can be extremely helpful!

Advertisement