Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Perth

Options
  • 18-10-2011 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to Perth in January with herself. Were going over to work at the start and then to go travelling. I'm looking to get a job working in accountancy over there. But my main question is ---- what are the good places to live in Perth?? I got told mount lawley or around north perth but prices look expensive when I had a look of them last night. Some of the places were over $500 a week. Does that sound about right?? I just sounds abit expensive to me.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

What was the $500 for? A one bed apartment maybe?

Mount Lawley is very close to the CBD and is one of the 'trendier' suburbs. I think you may have to look further out to get a better deal, although Perth is horribly expensive (for what you get).

When I was looking I went to a few places in Victoria Park and along that train line. They were cheaper than most but some I viewed were awful dumps. So give yourself plenty of time to find a place and go to plenty of viewings if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Cheers Catchlight.....Ya the apartments I was looking at were one bed. Speaking of public transport, what is it like over there??? Is it crap like Ireland or had decent like England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

Perth the CBD is very small so you could walk around it no bother. There are free buses in there as well, they are called CAT. I haven't used them much in fact I don't use the bus at all.

The train is ok, I would advise you to live within walking distance of a station. During the day they are fairly frequent, every 15 mins or so. At night they would go around every 30-40 minutes.

You couldn't really compare it to London at all. While Perth is very spread out, its mainly suburbia. The train lines go in and out of the city, they don't link up at all, which I suppose is somewhat similar to the way the DART operates in Dublin.

When you get here get a Smart Rider card in Perth Station. You can link them up to your bank account and get a discount on the fare. They can be used on both trains and buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

First off, don't pay near $500 for a one bed! Jaysus :eek:

I live in Joondalup, north of the city, and a two bed apartment in a complex with a pool would be $380 a week (unfurnished). It's a 5/10 minute walk to the train station and a 30 minute commute straight to the city on the train. Easy and comfortable.

Look along the Joondalup, Mandurah and Fremantle lines as they are closest to the best ammenities. The train system is great here as long as you're close to a station as the buses are pretty horrendous anywhere outside of about a 5km radius of the city.

Thanks for the advice lads...I taught $500 was crazy, even though it will be split with herself but still, I don't want to be robbed :pac:. I was told to try and get an apartment before I head over because prices go up in Januray but I think I'm better off seen the apartment and the area it's in. Sure prices can't go up that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

gudede wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads...I taught $500 was crazy, even though it will be split with herself but still, I don't want to be robbed :pac:. I was told to try and get an apartment before I head over because prices go up in Januray but I think I'm better off seen the apartment and the area it's in. Sure prices can't go up that much.

Were you looking at a holiday let, furnished and equipped?? You might want something like that for the first couple of weeks anyway while you have a look around and see what areas you like. I'd look for it now though, I'm here 6 weeks staying in holiday lets until I move 350km east, to the back of beyond :rolleyes:

Long story but we were supposed to be booked into a holiday let by mr. sudz's company but it was a mildewed dump so we had to find our own place. We've moved every 2 weeks because there is nothing with longer availability at such short notice.

pm me if you want a couple of contacts for holiday lets. The people we are renting from now don't have a website so you wouldn't find them online but they have 20 properties and are a little cheaper than other holiday lets.

No the place's we were looking at were in North/East Perth and they were fully furnished apartments. You could get cheaper than the $500 a week but they looked like dumps :). You mite be onto something with the holiday let for two weeks though sudzs, it would give us time to get thing organized when we get over there as well and would be alot better than a hostel :pac:. I'll PM ya if I go down the holiday let route, thanks Sudzs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brown Trout

Is Highgate a nice area? I am looking at renting an apartment there but I have heard very little about it.
    Thanks,
    BT

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Highgate is good. East Perth is the train station and you can walk to the city from there. A quick walk to Mt Lawley for pubs and eateries.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

$500 is crazy.

Arrived in Perth just over 3 weeks ago and moved into an apartment complex 2 weeks ago.

Fully furnished double room, air con, gym, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, bbq, wifi all for $260 a week including bills between two of us. It's in West Perth about a ten minute walk from the city centre and on a load of bus routes out to the beaches. We saw plenty of places in and around Perth for $250 - $300 before we got this place, you'd be mental to hand over $500 a week when you can get somewhere really nice for half that.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    $500 is crazy.

Arrived in Perth just over 3 weeks ago and moved into an apartment complex 2 weeks ago.

Fully furnished double room, air con, gym, pool, sauna, jacuzzi, bbq, wifi all for $260 a week including bills between two of us. It's in West Perth about a ten minute walk from the city centre and on a load of bus routes out to the beaches. We saw plenty of places in and around Perth for $250 - $300 before we got this place, you'd be mental to hand over $500 a week when you can get somewhere really nice for half that.

That ticks a lot of boxes Frisbee :D I think I'll get a holiday let for two week's first and then good looking around. I taught $500 was over the top alright so I'd say I would ask.

Advertisement