Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandwiches/Soup/Tea for Homeless

Options
  • 18-10-2011 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Hey -

I am going to go into city centre and distribute hot food and drinks to the homeless.

Do they need or want such a service?
    Would it be more practical to assist the homeless in another fashion?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Contact the Simon Community and ask if you can volunteer on their soup run

http://www.dubsimon.ie/

Also the Focus Ireland

http://www.focusireland.ie/?gclid=CM3gqdz28asCFdRX4QodXxEyww

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You are much better off helping out through an established charity as mentioned above. I'd imagine that if you were just to head out and do it yourself that you could potentially leave yourself open to all sorts of litigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Poison the soup and do us all a favour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Poison the soup and do us all a favour!

Right.

Banned, permanent.

Absolutely no need for that type of comment around here, and we don't want people like you posting and trolling this forum.

Now GTFO and don't come back, appeal this directly in DRP if you wish, I will not be entertaining PMs from the likes of you.

Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

irishbird wrote: »
    Contact the Simon Community and ask if you can volunteer on their soup run

http://www.dubsimon.ie/

Also the Focus Ireland

http://www.focusireland.ie/?gclid=CM3gqdz28asCFdRX4QodXxEyww

I can get out more on my own(with a friend). I have gone down the organised charity route before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

You are much better off helping out through an established charity as mentioned above. I'd imagine that if you were just to head out and do it yourself that you could potentially leave yourself open to all sorts of litigation.

I often buy tea/burgers/sandwiches for people.. Litigation!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can get out more on my own(with a friend). I have gone down the organised charity route before.

be careful doing that.

If you accidentally give food poisoning to a person, you'd be liable, and with no proper insurance or health & safety checks on your prep area, it may also be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

far better to go out with the Charities, Dublin Simon need their volunteers to commit to a lengthy period on the soup run (ie not a 3 week fad to make someone feel good) this lengthy time frame is necessary for the volunteer to build up a rapport & trust with the homeless people they encounter, given many of the homeless on our streets suffer from mental health issues some may not take kindly to some people they do not know (despite having the best of intentions) trying to give them sambo's and coffee.

hats off to you, nice to see someone willing to give their time for those less fortunate!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

First off, make sure you get proper legal advice and get your charitable status sorted out.

you are opening yourself up to a load problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

If you have food prepared to give out today, the guys at Occupy Dame Street would gratefully accept it. I don't think you'd have to worry about being sued for food poisoning by them either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The OP wants to help people in need, not a bunch of crusties, students and protesters on Dame St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Why not take whatever money you were going to spend on bringing around hot food & soup to homeless people and give it to these people?

Capuchin Day Centre

That way you know you're making a proper difference rather than possibly landing home every evening with half a giant thermos of cold soup and a burlap sack of sambos

Often people who really desperately need food aren't the ones sitting around town in doorways, there's a lot of people out there stuck in extreme poverty who wouldn't have in them to beg (families, elderly people as well, people who've been long term unemployed and don't have any support etc. etc. )

Advertisement