Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons

Options
  • 18-10-2011 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

Did anyone hear when/ if Easons are opening in Fairgreen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Don't know about Easons in Fairgreen..

But new business - bookshop going into Byrnes old shop on Tullow Street..

There is a sign on the window - I didn't read opening date if there was one :o

But it looks like it will be next week or two judging by the activity inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

foxinsox wrote: »
    Don't know about Easons in Fairgreen..

But new business - bookshop going into Byrnes old shop on Tullow Street..

There is a sign on the window - I didn't read opening date if there was one :o

But it looks like it will be next week or two judging by the activity inside.

There's a new bookshop in superquinn. Has been open since saturday. They have a great selection of books and they can order in books too.

Think they need to advertise more though and I just came across it by accident.

On a side note there's also a new music shop there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Nead21 wrote: »
    There's a new bookshop in superquinn. Has been open since saturday. They have a great selection of books and they can order in books too.

Think they need to advertise more though and I just came across it by accident.

On a side note there's also a new music shop there also.
    There is also work going on opposite superquinn in the old ken black store, no sign of what might be going in there but it appears to be taking up the whole shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is also work going on opposite superquinn in the old ken black store, no sign of what might be going in there but it appears to be taking up the whole shop.

Both the shops in Superquinn and this are great news for the town. Definitely need more advertising though, I'm in Carlow every day and didn't know anything about these.

the papers should definitely do a feature once every couple of weeks promoting new businesses free of charge to give them a lift.

We desperately need a book shop in my opinion - I desperately need a music shop also but I understand why a lot of people don't now. Still great to have though

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Went for a quick gawk at the two shops in Carlow shopping centre - Trax is the name of the record shop - don't know how long its there.

unfortunately the selection is not good to say the least - hopefully will improve if it can stay open for a while.

Book shop is nice and smells new - pleasant environment to be in, selection is small but well presented. best of luck to them

• Advertisement

jay gatsby wrote: »
    Both the shops in Superquinn and this are great news for the town. Definitely need more advertising though, I'm in Carlow every day and didn't know anything about these.

the papers should definitely do a feature once every couple of weeks promoting new businesses free of charge to give them a lift.

We desperately need a book shop in my opinion

That's a brilliant idea actually, it would be a great boost, especially if they highlighted special offers/discount etc.

I really hope this bookshop does well as it seems to be an ACTUAL bookshop, not newsagent/toystore and a tiny section for books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

<rumour mill>
    I heard Ken Blacks was moving back / creating extra new shop in their old premises.
    I also heard that Easons was moving to Byrnes in Fairgreen
    </rumour mill>

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

Was in Tesco today and there was people working in where Byrnes used to be, so hopefully we will have a new bookshop there before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

there the new bookshop in carlow shopping centre seems very good I must say

patrickc wrote: »
    there the new bookshop in carlow shopping centre seems very good I must say

Yeah Bestseller. It is an actually a bookshop, with is super. Very friendly staff too. The have Joe Duffy signing there, today, I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Yeah Bestseller. It is an actually a bookshop, with is super. Very friendly staff too. The have Joe Duffy signing there, today, I think?

yea he is signing his new buuuuk AT 4.30 pm today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lisanolan_2204

Easons are open on the 24th or 25th of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The shop in the old World of Wonder on Tullow St. is open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

The shop in carlow shopping centre is great and the staff are very helpful...

The shop in the old World of Wonder on Tullow St. is open too.

Was delighted to see this unit occupied quite quickly. However, I really wouldn't rate this place as a bookshop (despite the name). There is no organisation to how the books are displayed, and for someone like me, who is a serious book nerd, it's very off-putting.

Grand as a place to buy the newspaper and stationary though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Hopefully the new Easons will be a proper book shop & not just a glorified newsagents selling all sorts of bits with a small book section.

The last Easons we had was exactly that, and had the worst selection of books ever.

As I've previously said, the new bookshop in Superquinn, Bestseller, is thankfully an actual bookshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Bagenal wrote: »
    Hopefully the new Easons will be a proper book shop & not just a glorified newsagents selling all sorts of bits with a small book section.

That's all Easons is - a glorified newsagents. The new shop won't be any different. Carlow just doesn't seem capable of sustaining a real bookshop, and by real bookshop, I mean one like that outstanding bookshop in Kilkenny that always seems to be full of customers.

The real question is why? Are Carlovians borderline illiterates?

The real question is why? Are Carlovians borderline illiterates?

I understand what you're trying to say, but I can't help to take MASSIVE offense to that....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I understand what you're trying to say, but I can't help to take MASSIVE offense to that....
    I agree, I come across this attitude (even if unintentional) before where the only possible reason someone isn't a bookworm must be down to their illiteracy rather than their having little or no interest in the activity :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Carlow just doesn't seem capable of sustaining a real bookshop

How do you figure that one? The only proper bookshops I remember in the town were Paul's and Chapter 2 (the older version The Carlow Bookshop I think). Both of these bookshops closed down for reasons other than lack of interest. The owner of Paul's retired and Chapter 2 and it's predecessor were open for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

And now 3 new book shops are opening...
    So yeah...

The shelves in Easons are going up, some books in already.

So walked by Easons today, and it's basically a glorified newsagents. *sigh* Such a disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

So walked by Easons today, and it's basically a glorified newsagents. *sigh* Such a disappointment.

I agree with you, I was in Tesco & seen 1 of the shutters up so I went to have a look, as you say a glorified newsagents, from what I seen of the stock they had on the shelves it's no different than Byrnes was :(

Exactly like Byrne's...the bloody layout is even the same :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I've yet to have a look around Eason so I'll reserve judgement. All the same it's good to see the slot filled in Fairgreen

Advertisement