Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky contract

Options
  • 18-10-2011 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,

I have another thread in the satellite forum about an issue I'm having with Sky.

Basically for the second time in less than two months our sky is down and we're without any service.

Last time it was down for two weeks and we're on to week two this time now.

Last time the issue was fixed under warranty. This this however the engineer told us there is a problem with the cable which isn't covered under warranty by sky and there is a €75+VAT charge.

Seeing as they are not providing the service I'm paying for can I cancel my contract without penalty?

They're free to take their box back.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

if they fixed it last time then the cable was not an issue. If it was on its way out or looked like it was dodgy they should have told you that if needed to be looked at first time round.

I'd take that line with them and also get them to credit your bills for all the down times

If they repaired it first time they should 100% be able to stand over their work so if the cable failed less than 2 months after i would say that the 1st repair could not have been done 100% IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 SkyUser11

Sorry should have mentioned in the original post it's a shared dish we're using in an apartment complex.

Not sure what the first issue was, so don't know if the wire now had something to do with the first fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Unfortunately I think they are providing a service. The dish, box etc are yours, you buy them not rent them. The service you are paying for is the decryption of the signal, which is what you have. Fine, you cant see it but you are receiving the signal and you do have the means to decrypt it.
    Personally, I hate Sky and do not use them. My FIL does have it though and to be fair nice polite phone calls have seemed to get him service way beyond any contractual agreement.
    I'd suggest getting someone else in to fix the issue, get a report. If the report says anything other than the cable I would try to get them to pay for it.
    All of the above may be wholly wrong, as I said not too much contact with Sky really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭lendmeyourear

This has been an eye opener for me. My sister was taken by surprise to learn that she owned the equipment when she advised that she was not getting a signal. She went through the motions of resetting her system following instructions over the phone so when it did not work they said they would send out an engineer at a cost of €100....not so fast said my sister, she has to think this through....they might cancel and renew again...

This does not happen with Chorus/ UPC unless the customer is negligent and brings an engineer out on a time wasting mission.

Any ideas?

Advertisement