Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council boarding up house beside mine

Options
  • 18-10-2011 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I made a big mistake a few years ago and bought a house in a pretty rough area. I was naive and thought it was just a passing phase and it would be fine to raise my kids in.
    I was wrong and we got out a while ago.
    I have it rented now and at the moment things are ok.

The thing is as people are moving out ( council tenants) the council is boarding up houses.
    Obviously this is contributing to the bad feeling on the road and more importantly ( to me) is driving my property price through the floor. The house beside mine is now boarded up.
    Is there any action I can take against the council?
    If my tenants move out theres no way Ill be able to rent the property through no fault of my own.
    Any advise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Derelict land and property is registered by the council and they can put levies on the land owner or eventually compulsory purchase it CPO
    It doesn't apply here, there is no action you can take unless you think maybe the house is unsafe like a drug den or fire hazard. But you can see that the council are sealing it up

Your best bet is get onto your local councillor.
    Every local authority in the country has waiting lists so it's better to have it occupied, a councillor can check it out

I would guess maybe the last tenants trashed the property and the council have no budget to repair it until next year? So they will seal it up for a few months
    Just my first impression

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Councils tend to board up vacated council houses to protect them and prevent damage and looting - not necessarily because they may have been trashed. Vacant houses that are left unboarded tend to get everything taken - down to copper piping/water tank/light switches.

It may take a while but it should be rented by the council eventually. Do you have a tenant in your house at present or are you planning on trying to sell it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Because its the councils fault the area is rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You need to talk to a councillor. You need to find out what the Council's plan for the road is. It really depends if this is council land or not. If it is council land, you need to find out who is in charge of their property management. You need to figure out some way to work with them to sort the road out. I am sure they are not interested in destroying the value of their own property either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I am sure they are not interested in destroying the value of their own property either.

The couldn't care less about the value of their housing stock. They have most likely offered the place a few times at this point with tenants refusing to live there. Houses really only get boarded up when they can't fix it up or people won't move there.

It does not bode well for living there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    The couldn't care less about the value of their housing stock. They have most likely offered the place a few times at this point with tenants refusing to live there. Houses really only get boarded up when they can't fix it up or people won't move there.

It does not bode well for living there.

They also get boarded up between tennants, so the place isn't taken over by drug addicts/teens drinking etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

January wrote: »
    They also get boarded up between tennants, so the place isn't taken over by drug addicts/teens drinking etc
    If the place is between tenants that is the bad sign that nobody is moving in soon. I know why they board them up, the main reason is they expect it to be vacant for a long period of time. That is the sign that isn't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If they don't board it up it'd turn into a shooting gallery or a burned-out wreck, which isn't going to do your place any favours.

Advertisement