Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need someone to install arcade monitor in Egret 3 Candy Cab

• 18-10-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭

Right,
    Well my replacement arcade monitor arrived from Ronnie today(packed in a huge 6 foot arcade box :confused: ) and I now need to sort out getting it installed.

As I have no experience doing this myself and it is supposed to be a bit awkward and also dangerous to install if you don't know what you're doing (to me and the monitor), I need someone to do it for me who has some experience with these things. I will of course help install it but need someone who knows what their at to stop me necking it/dropping it/killing myself and generally making a mess of things.

I wouldn't expect anyone to do this for free so we can sort out some sort of payment/trade etc (the currently installed monitor needs a new home) before going ahead with it.

It'd be great if I could get this installed sooner rather than later as I don't really want to leave the monitor lying around as these things are supposed to be fairly fragile.

I've included a few pics of the setup I have and the new monitor/chassis in case that helps.

dsc5407.jpg

dsc5411.jpg

dsc5408.jpg

dsc5412v.jpg

dsc5413e.jpg

dsc5417u.jpg

dsc5427k.jpg

So, if anyone can do this or knows someone who might be able to do it please let me know.
    I'm out in Shankill (the good side :p , sorry bad side people) if location matters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Did I mention tea/coffee and biscuits would be provided.

Perhaps I could tempt you with a glass of my current favourite liqueur, Coole Swan.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

Hey man

Was only thinking about this the other day, so Ronnie sorted it that's good to see.

Do you have to send the other screen back to him?

purplec wrote: »
    Hey man

Was only thinking about this the other day, so Ronnie sorted it that's good to see.

Do you have to send the other screen back to him?

No, just the chassis going back, maybe. I'm in no rush to ship it over to him.

The screen is staying, would cost to much to ship it to him and he would have to pay for it.

Thats grand then,

1. just discharge the monitor a good few times
    2. Remove the chassis
    3. Remove anything loose in the cab
    4. Remove front door and control panel
    5. Aquire a burly mate and lay the cab on its back
    6. Remove nuts holding monitor in.
    7. You and burly mate dead lift 55 kg monitor straight up
    8. Move carefully and quickly to place screen on towel face down to protect it.
    9. Sit down have a 10 min break and reverse with new screen

Hope this helps

Thats grand then,

2. Remove the chassis

Hope this helps

I'm more worried about setting up the chassis to be honest.
    Plugging things in, getting all the dials setup correctly etc.

• Advertisement

to be honest once the monitor is in the monitor tuning should pretty much handy enough, once its connected throw up a test screen and then tune it using the pots enough for your own pref

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Thats grand then,

2. Remove the chassis

Hope this helps

This man knows what he's talking about haha

except for step 7, all that is required is a Jack Burton for this task :cool:

Talking about candy cabs, had to take mine apart this morning because I'm getting a floor put in and it was too big to fit through the door. Once you put one together once its easy to do it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

had to take mine apart this morning because I'm getting a floor put in and it was too big to fit through the door. Once you put one together once its easy to do it again

:confused:

How did it get into the room originally? Osmosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Sorry meant to say "new" floor

I have this monitor here. I might just give it a go myself, maybe with some help and a few youtube videos.

It's killing me the new monitor sitting there and not been used or tested to see if its better than the old one.

• Advertisement

id be interested in buying the tube from you if you get it out safely?

let me know if you want to sell it.

cheers

id be interested in buying the tube from you if you get it out safely?

let me know if you want to sell it.

cheers

I'll let you know.

The original plan was to trade the tube to someone(with experience doing these things) who wanted/needed it in exchange for services rendered.

I've contacted Mitch to see if he's interested as I think he was looking for a tube for a non working Atomswave, but I could be wrong.

I know Mitch does be busy though and I do want this installed soonish so I'm not sure what I'll do to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Do it yourself, if it's on the northside I'll give you a hand lifting the crt in and out, my main concern would be discharging the old CRT although the last(only) 2 monitors I've discharged both appeared to be self discharge ones.

Do it yourself, if it's on the northside I'll give you a hand lifting the crt in and out, my main concern would be discharging the old CRT although the last(only) 2 monitors I've discharged both appeared to be self discharge ones.

I might end up doing it myself. Will see how it turns out over the next few days.

Don't think I can leave it longer than Monday or so before I just have to get it installed to see how it runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Well if you want a hand I'm free sat afternoon

Well if you want a hand I'm free sat afternoon

Cheers, but I've to go down and do some sort of insulating work in my mums house this weekend :(

I think my plan now is to just do as was said before.

Take the candy apart as much as I need to, disconnect everything from the monitor from the back of the cab, discharge the monitor somehow, drop the candy on its back, unscrew the monitor without unscrewing the actual harness it connects to in the cab, lift it right up and out, place gently face down on something soft, drop new monitor in and spend hours wondering what connects to where on it and see what happens.

It's a plan, not a great plan but a plan just the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    discharge the monitor somehow

You'll enjoy that bit...assuming you survive :p

Joking aside, make sure you know what that somehow is before comitting to discharging. There's potentially lethal voltages involved as you know. It's a scary procedure, I've done it a good few times but maintain a healthy respect for whats involved.

EnterNow wrote: »
    You'll enjoy that bit...assuming you survive :p

Joking aside, make sure you know what that somehow is before comitting to discharging. There's potentially lethal voltages involved as you know. It's a scary procedure, I've done it a good few times but maintain a healthy respect for whats involved.

Yeah, I looked at a few vids on youtube that show how its done.

Not really looking forward to that part.

Well, if you don't see any posts from me after next week keep an eye on adverts and ebay. The girlfriend might stick the candy and the rest of my retro bits up for sale to pay for the funeral.

Advertisement