Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Outlook Send/Receive Problem

Options
  • 18-10-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

My father runs Outlook 2007 on Windows 7. Since yesterday he can only send or receive emails if he selects "Send/Receive All". I don't use Outlook myself so I'm not very good at fixing problems with it.

All the settings that I am aware of appear to be correct ie. in Options > Mail Setup > Send/Receive: the option "Send immediately when connected" is ticked yes.

He can view all the emails and items in the inbox and all his other folders.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Kind regards,
    Warrior Monk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

There should be an error message associated with the send\receive.

Go to Tools - Accounts and View or Change Existing accounts (I'm going from memory of old outlook versions but the route should be similar).

There should be a button to "test account settings". Click on that and it will tell you where it's failing. Could be an issue with the server\service.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Warrior Monk

Thanks chin_grin,

I tried that just now. It runs a configuration test which it says is successful and successfully configured.

But it's still not working.

Something I should have said in my first post is that when I click "send" on an email nothing happens except that the email is put into the Outbox. No message comes up on the screen telling me that there is a problem. I only know there's a problem because it's not in the "Sent Items" folder and the intended recipient has not received the email either. The internet connection is solid, no issues there. And when I press the "Send/Receive All" button, all the emails go through.

Thanks again

Hmm. What are the server settings who is it set up with?

Should be something like companymail.smtp.com. You could try hitting windows key + r to open the run box, type "cmd" and hit ok. Then in the prompt type "ping" followed by the server name. (All without quotes).

It's "smtp.gmail.com"

I did what you advised, the following came up:

"Ping statistics for ...(IP Address)
    Packets: Send = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 0% Loss
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds
    Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 139ms, Average = 49ms"

Does that mean anything to you?

I really appreciate you helping me with this. It's very kind of you.

Ah no worries! Have limited experience with outlook but the few tricks and tips I do know sometimes work.

When you ping and address should show up. Could you place that (IP address) in the account settings instead of smtp.gmail.com and see if that works?

Just found this link if it'll help?

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86374

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

If he's getting/sending mails when he hits send and receive, its just a problem with outlook. Don't worry about the gmail server.

Go tools > options > mail setup > send/receive button (half way down on the right hand side)

Have a look at the options there. He can schedule a send and receive for every few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Used to see that issue with Outlook 2003 when running 'offline'. Easiest way to solve it then was open Outlook, click on File and then untick the 'offline' status. This would stop the neccesity t okeep on clicking on Send/ recieve all the time. Not so sure with 2007 though, maybe the same, maybe not.

Brilliant, thanks Davey Boy, that was it. It was just offline.
    I don't use Outlook myself so I didn't know it could be that.

Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Glad to hear it, was not sure 2007 had the same setting issue.

Advertisement