Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendation needed

• 18-10-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Looking for a 40th birthday gift of a man's watch.

He already has a Seiko Kinetic, which he bought himself and likes and a Raymond Weil, which was a gift from his father.

I was thinking of an everyday smart casual watch maybe with leather strap. Price range of 800 - 1200euro (a bit more if right watch).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

puhhh ...in that price range the choice of nice, good quality watches is almost endless while on the other hand you're still just touching the bottom range of the big names.

Anyhow ...if my wife were to make me a present like that, I'd probably ask/hope for a Damasko DA 34

DA-34-g.jpg

Simply because they're tough, well made, appeal to the half baked engineer in me and because not everybody has one.

http://www.damasko.de/eng/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Stowa make very nice watches. They're very good value for money and come within your price range.

http://www.stowa.de/lshop,shopstart,131894570210436,en,1318945702-10436,,,,,.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lmlt

Thanks for your replies.

I really like the Stowa watches. Ideally I would like to see the watch before I buy but I guess there is limited stock on sale in shops in Ireland. Are there Stowa retailers in Ireland?

Would you buy a watch online without seeing it somewhere first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

lmlt wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

I really like the Stowa watches. Ideally I would like to see the watch before I buy but I guess there is limited stock on sale in shops in Ireland. Are there Stowa retailers in Ireland?

Would you buy a watch online without seeing it somewhere first?

Stowa only retail online.

Yes, I have (and would again) buy a watch online sight unseen - provided it's from a reputable dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Stowa sell directly. Your watch is made to order. You can however buy pre-owned ones on many of the watch forums.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

I'd happily buy a new Stowa sight unseen (and have done so). They have universally high standards pre and post purchase and the quality is pretty exceptional for what you are paying.

I'd be much less happy buying second hand any watch sight unseen unless I had full confidence in the seller.

A point to bear in mind on Stowa - if you ordered from their website today you'd be given a delivery date in 2012. I don't know how that fits your time budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lmlt

Thanks. I need it in a month so I guess Stowa is out.

Another question: the chronograph feature, is it a tech thing or a looks thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Frederique Constant FC-303S6B6

The styling of a Patek Calatrava but at a fraction of the price. Stockists aplenty in Dublin.

FC-303S6B6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

lmlt wrote: »
    Thanks. I need it in a month so I guess Stowa is out.

Another question: the chronograph feature, is it a tech thing or a looks thing?

A chronograph has a stopwatch function.
    It also has a few extra dials on the watchface, which can look good or overly fussy ...depending on the watch.

A chronometer on the other hand is a watch with high accuracy, certified to certain standards (only good with the the actual certificate supplied)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

peasant wrote: »
    Anyhow ...if my wife were to make me a present like that, I'd probably ask/hope for a Damasko DA 34

Seconded. Have a look at the Damasko range, especially the DA36 and 46 - these watches have probably the toughest cases ever made, a high-quality movement, and I've never seen another one 'in the wild'. Something a bit special.

They sell on-line only. If these watches were selling with the jeweller's mark-up, you'd be looking at paying 2 grand for them.

http://www.timefactors.com/damasko.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement