Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants to charge us to fix boiler?

Options
  • 18-10-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

We moved into a house in september in limerick and now that the cold has hit hard we were going to get heating oil sorted out.

the landlord stated to us earlier that we should get oil and then if anything needs sorting he'll sort it out...

so this morning we got oil, rang the landlord and he said we have to pay for a plumber to come and sort stuff out?

pile of balls me things...what ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

eldwaro wrote: »

pile of balls me things...what ye think?

Definitely. Not your responsibility-LANDLORDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Lyn256 wrote: »
    Definitely. Not your responsibility-LANDLORDS!

our exact words today...and i dont want to offend anyone but

"does he think we're retards"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Are you sure he didn't mean orgainse the plumber, pay him AND take it out of the rent?

Certainly not your bill but you might have misunderstood

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Are you sure he didn't mean orgainse the plumber, pay him AND take it out of the rent?

Certainly not your bill but you might have misunderstood

the closest he came to saying that was he would INCLUDE the cost in the rent next month.

we organised the plumber, and is callin in twenty minutes. I don't want the plumber to go without payment, as he is just doing his job, so we will be forward with him that he is to receive payment from the landlord who lives nearby.

to be honest, i was shocked to hear he had even dreamed about us paying for it. the cooker wasnt working when we moved in, so he replaced it pretty quickly and we were very happy with him. so now we fear we'll have to be keeping a very close eye on the deposits we get back at the end of the year.

the closest he came to saying that was he would INCLUDE the cost in the rent next month.

we organised the plumber, and is callin in twenty minutes. I don't want the plumber to go without payment, as he is just doing his job, so we will be forward with him that he is to receive payment from the landlord who lives nearby.

to be honest, i was shocked to hear he had even dreamed about us paying for it. the cooker wasnt working when we moved in, so he replaced it pretty quickly and we were very happy with him. so now we fear we'll have to be keeping a very close eye on the deposits we get back at the end of the year.
    I assume you told he it was not your cost and was his? Your description doesn't say you protested what he has said.

• Advertisement

I assume you told he it was not your cost and was his? Your description doesn't say you protested what he has said.

sorry yeah we did...we told him we hadnt used the heating since we moved in and that it could not be down to us. then told him we only got oil this morning so today was the first time we tried to fire up the boiler...it didnt work, so its his problem...

he tried to maintain that its still our cost but i feel he'll come around...like...he hasnt much of a defense...considering we never used the heating till now.

plumber called out and said the boiler was in a terrible state and in bad need of a service..

100% landlords problem and said he'd charge him for it...

a nice victory before dinner...warm house anyone?

thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

plumber called out and said the boiler was in a terrible state and in bad need of a service..

100% landlords problem and said he'd charge him for it...

a nice victory before dinner...warm house anyone?

thanks for the replies

Couple of questions:

1. Did the LL give you a BER Certificate for the property?
    2. Is your tenancy registered with the PTRB.

Without knowing the full facts, your LL sounds like a tax evading slumlord.

If the answer to either of the above is no, then I'd be ratting him out to the SEIA, the PTRB and the Revenue if he gives you any more hassle.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Couple of questions:

1. Did the LL give you a BER Certificate for the property?
    2. Is your tenancy registered with the PTRB.

Without knowing the full facts, your LL sounds like a tax evading slumlord.

If the answer to either of the above is no, then I'd be ratting him out to the SEIA, the PTRB and the Revenue if he gives you any more hassle.
    This nonscence just keeps coming up over and over again.
    Just becasue somebody does one thing does not mean you can assume everything else.

Not registering with PRTB means just that not the person is evading tax nor a slum loard. They do not fine everybody on discovering they haven't registered.

The BER cert is pretty new (and pointless) and some LL just haven't done it out of ignorance. Nobody has been fined for failure to produce a BER.

THis is just pop-leagal talk that holds very little water in the real world. It always sounds like petty revenge tactics and to threaten anybody is not exactley a good negosiating tactic to start with.

A lot of LL in ireland are just people who inheritated property and just not very good at doing the right research. Yes they should do it right but ot assume they are all scum is so far off the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Not registering with PRTB means just that not the person is evading tax nor a slum loard.

Can you name some valid reasons why - in the information age - a landlord would not register with the PRTB?

• Advertisement

Can you name some valid reasons why - in the information age - a landlord would not register with the PRTB?
    They are 65+ and don't have a computer and never rented out a place before. Or simply clueless, my aunt did it before, I had to explain everything to her.

They are 65+ and don't have a computer and never rented out a place before. Or simply clueless, my aunt did it before, I had to explain everything to her.
    That's a reasonable example - unfortunately most of those who aren't registered that I've come across on the web do not fall into that category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

There should be an introduction for a landlord licence so.

That's a reasonable example - unfortunately most of those who aren't registered that I've come across on the web do not fall into that category.
    How would you know about anybody's affairs from the web? The registration website is not kept up to date and when the place is not rented they don't need to be registered.

If it based on stories from disgruntled tenants you only get one side and I would never think that as an accurate apprasal

How would you know about anybody's affairs from the web?
    From accounts I've read on this very site where tenants are having problems and it emerges that the LL is not registered. I've yet to hear a single account where the troublesome/unregistered landlord was described as elderly.

From accounts I've read on this very site where tenants are having problems and it emerges that the LL is not registered. I've yet to hear a single account where the troublesome/unregistered landlord was described as elderly.
    You also never hear how they are so sure the LL is not registered but you do hear plenty of wild accusation. THis site deals with a very small amount of LL in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, you don't get many people posting threads on how great their landlord is, to take a forum, which mostly deals with complaints, as your barometer, is a bit misleading.

astrofool wrote: »
    To be fair, you don't get many people posting threads on how great their landlord is, to take a forum, which mostly deals with complaints, as your barometer, is a bit misleading.
    Indeed, it's a self selecting group. But of the threads where there's an issue with a landlord, observe how often the answer is 'no' when the tenant is asked if they are registered with the PRTB.

I've no issue with landlords in general, just to clarify.

jaysus this took off!!

well to be honest i doubt he is registered...just like our last landlord...

but i figure that if were sound, he'll be sound...i always know that if things go sour then quickly we can step it up a notch and say we want everything to be 100% official...

i know its foolish to be trusting in the modern day, but i like to think theres still nice people out there who will pull the wool over eyes.

we have all his details..workplace etc, so were confident that were ok.

i would like to now ask noone posts the typical my god your an idiot for trusting anyone...i know its foolish, but it'll be grand :P

This nonscence just keeps coming up over and over again.
    Just becasue somebody does one thing does not mean you can assume everything else.

Not registering with PRTB means just that not the person is evading tax nor a slum loard. They do not fine everybody on discovering they haven't registered.

The BER cert is pretty new (and pointless) and some LL just haven't done it out of ignorance. Nobody has been fined for failure to produce a BER.

THis is just pop-leagal talk that holds very little water in the real world. It always sounds like petty revenge tactics and to threaten anybody is not exactley a good negosiating tactic to start with.

A lot of LL in ireland are just people who inheritated property and just not very good at doing the right research. Yes they should do it right but ot assume they are all scum is so far off the mark.

Your post is utter nonsense.

If you could have been arsed to read mine, you would have seen that I had qualified my statement. Next time, try engaing brain before putting mouth into gear. Grow up, and stop spouting BS.

Not registering with the PTRB is a RED FLAG for tax evasion.

THE BER is not quite new, it is almost 3 years old FFS!

The "Ah sure I didn't know excuse" that you would appear to be a proponent of doesn't fly anymore.

Slumlords like the OP's landlord are what cause the headaches for law abiding loanlords who do everything by the book.

• Advertisement

you would have seen that I had qualified my statement. ...

Slumlords like the OP's landlord are what cause the headaches for law abiding loanlords who do everything by the book.
    Yeah obvious you have taken a measured approach to drawing conclusions based on hardened facts. :rolleyes:
    Actually as a law abiding LL I can say people who "think" they know a legal way to catch a LL are more hassle than other LLs who are idiots.

PRTB reg is no way a red flag to avoiding tax and is not very reliable as they randomly forget I am registerd. So that is one of your many flawed asssumptions.

BER as a LL requirement is not 3 years old BTW

A report to the tax office about a LL is generally ignored. So I stand by what I said from experience what are you basing your ideas on? Pop-law knowledge is little to no use

A report to the tax office about a LL is generally ignored.

How could you know this? :confused:

Yeah obvious you have taken a measured approach to drawing conclusions based on hardened facts. :rolleyes:
    Actually as a law abiding LL I can say people who "think" they know a legal way to catch a LL are more hassle than other LLs who are idiots.

PRTB reg is no way a red flag to avoiding tax and is not very reliable as they randomly forget I am registerd. So that is one of your many flawed asssumptions.

BER as a LL requirement is not 3 years old BTW

A report to the tax office about a LL is generally ignored. So I stand by what I said from experience what are you basing your ideas on? Pop-law knowledge is little to no use

Can't you effing read???? ALMOST 3 years - 2 years 10 months and 19 days good enough for you?????

How many reports to the Revenue have you made then????

I also didn't make any assumptions. Again, please try reading. I can re-write it in shorter words if that helps?

Anayway, enough muppetry - very difficult to have an intelligent discussion with you I am afraid.

I would just ask, that for the sake of eveyone else, you stop spreading your mis/dis-information, and that you apologise for your behaviour.
    Your posts are so full of mistakes that they are actually detrimental to tenants and legitimate landlords alike.

OP's original post has been fully addressed. No need for you to jump in with a load of old codswallop!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you could have been arsed to read mine, you would have seen that I had qualified my statement. Next time, try engaing brain before putting mouth into gear. Grow up, and stop spouting BS.
    You might tone it down a bit.

How could you know this? :confused:
    I worked there on their systems

Can't you effing read???? ALMOST 3 years - 2 years 10 months and 19 days good enough for you?????

How many reports to the Revenue have you made then????
    Not as a requirement for new lets it wasn't. You simply don't have any experience in what you are talking about. If you read what I said you would notice I said "relatively new". Maybe it my age but I consider 3 years relatively new anyway.

There is the regulations and then there is how it implemented.

If anything you should read the carter and stick within the bonds. I will oppologise for nothing as I have offended nobody. I speak from expereince and knowledge not some beleif in a system I don't actually deal with.

Advertisement