Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate universe

Options
  • 18-10-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭

Knowledge has been in public domain for a while but its officially never coming back, I got confirmation back from head of sky uk, the states didnt pick up a another series. I thought storyline and acting was strong in it and was by far my fav of the SG franchise. gutted.

I can understand actors move on and more then likely it was carlisle that went on to other things but the one thing I remember when they were interviewing the actors at the start of this was that they had all bought into it for the long haul.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Knowledge has been in public domain for a while but its officially never coming back, I got confirmation back from head of sky uk, the states didnt pick up a another series. I thought storyline and acting was strong in it and was by far my fav of the SG franchise. gutted.

I can understand actors move on and more then likely it was carlisle that went on to other things but the one thing I remember when they were interviewing the actors at the start of this was that they had all bought into it for the long haul.
    Nothing to do with the actors, the network cancelled it. More info on the StarGate board here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=441

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it was cancelled because (1) it was ****
    and (2) despite this, americans didn't watch it in big numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

boo to to 1 above. I liked it, nay, more then that, I was hooked on it and was first tv show in a long time that I was.

I hadnt seen the stargate thread on here, my bad, thanks for link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

I was absolutely gutted when it finished. It was my favourite show on tv by a mile. Some of the episodes were the best acting quality of any show, especially the carlisle central ones. It was a very fitting last episode and very sad :(
    Some of the music was class also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Easily the best sci-fi show since Battlestar and one of the best produced & acted tv shows around but not enough Americans can appreciate a real science fiction show these days.

Which is a great shame as a big proper sci-fi tv show is extremely important to the long term health of the wider genre. Star Trek, Lost in Space, Buck Rogers, V (80s obviously), TNG, DS9, Babylon 5, SG-1, Battlestar were all pivotal in the fostering of new interest among kids & teens in science fiction / physics / astronomy / writing etc.

SyFy aren't a science fiction channel anymore either, haven't been for some time. They're just another generic imbicile channel now with reality tv and wrestling which hint at the kind of target audience they are striving for. Expect a rebrand in the not too distant future. Dope TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Goldstein wrote: »
    Easily the best sci-fi show since Battlestar and one of the best produced & acted tv shows around but not enough Americans can appreciate a real science fiction show these days.

Which is a great shame as a big proper sci-fi tv show is extremely important to the long term health of the wider genre. Star Trek, Lost in Space, Buck Rogers, V (80s obviously), TNG, DS9, Babylon 5, SG-1, Battlestar were all pivotal in the fostering of new interest among kids & teens in science fiction / physics / astronomy / writing etc.

SyFy aren't a science fiction channel anymore either, haven't been for some time. They're just another generic imbicile channel now with reality tv and wrestling which hint at the kind of target audience they are striving for. Expect a rebrand in the not too distant future. Dope TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syfy_%28United_Kingdom%29
    As of April 2008, the channel has reached an average of three million UK and Ireland households a week, and appeals to male and female demographics equally.

desperate housewives or corrie is one side

sharktopus or hulk hogan is on the other side

are they trying to say theres an equal demographic there that would pick 1 over the other?

get the fck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Could never get into SG:U...huge fan of SG1, and Atlantis (what I'd seen of it) was decent enough, but despite giving this almost the whole first season, it simply never grabbed me...and it really should have because the idea was good and the "lost on the other side of the universe" format worked well for ST Voyager.
    I don't know if it was the acting, the characters or the script/plotlines, but it didn't work.
    I hate to see sci fi shows fall by the wayside too, but better than this have failed in the past IMO...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Great show, but it was built on a dwindling fanbase, the name was never going to win it new fans and it being a bit of a slow burner didn't really help either. Pity.

Advertisement