Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school teaching

• 18-10-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,
    Currently I am in NUI in Galway studying spanish and geography in 2nd year Arts and also I am doin the Irish diploma seperately. Im just wondering does anyone have any idea about how I would go about pursuing secondary school teaching once I get my degree?.Also my second dream job would be social work so after I finish in NUI I plan on going to study social studies in either Sligo I.t or Athlone I.t. would this be a good idea?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For second level teaching, following your degree, you apply to do the PGDE (previously H. Dip.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

If you go to www.pac.ie and click on Professional Diploma in Education, that will give you all the info you need to apply to be a secondary school teacher :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If you want to start training to become a teacher immediately following your degree rather than taking a year out you should apply with your second year results. (If your degree is 3 years.) Have a look at www.pac.ie to find out more about this. I think the PGDE is now called the PDE so that's what you should look at on the site.

This thread has plenty of information.

Advertisement