Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB interface recommendations

Options
  • 18-10-2011 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for buying a USB Interface for recording. I don't need anything with too many channels. I will most likely only record one instrument at any given time but may like the option of 3 to 4 ins in case I want a few more. Anyway, I had the Tascam US1800 but never got it working 100% as it conflicted with my laptop. Something to do with the chipsets in the laptop that are different to desktops. Anyway, just wondering if there is anyone with some advice on some good quality interfaces that you have used with laptops so I know what I am buying is compatible with my laptop.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Hey there,

What is your budget and what DAW do you work with?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭flameboy87

At the moment I have been using Adobe Audition but am thinking about getting Cubase 6. I am using Windows 7 and have a budget of max. €500 but I would like to spend less than this. I have being looking at Allen & Heath desks and their ZED series look like a decent option. Anyone have any experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Motu ultralite MKIII cant go wrong at that money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Of course I'm biased, but have a look at the Focusrite Scarlett range (USB 2) or Saffire range (firewire). They start at €140 for a 2 in 2 out interface: http://www.focusrite.com/products/

I have been looking at the likes of the Motu anf Focusrite interfaces but one that caught my attention is Lexicon Ionix U82S. Anyone got any experience with this one,especially with laptops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Echoplex

I have a Lexicon Ionix U42S. Superb sound and build quality. Really great headphone amp and mic pres. The driver software isn't great on Macs, Lex seem a lot more PC orientated. The bundled Cubase and Pantheon Reverb illustrate that. I am thinking of selling mine. PM me if you are interested.
    DD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 SchoolOfSound

M-Audio do good stuff in this price range, check out the Fast Track Ultra, €275 new from thomann.
    , been running one for live stuff through a 4 year old macbook, hasn't let me down yet.

I have actually bought a lexicon Ionix U82S and have been having problems, the same problems I was having with the Tascam US1800 that I had. I obviously know now that it is a computer issue. Basically after ten mins of use I get clips and pops and when I reset the unit they go away for another ten mins. The clips and pops don't record but I get them when I monitor the recordings and can't record with this level of noise.

Any ideas why this is the case. I have a friend with the Fast Track Ultra so I'm going to try that once he can relocate the power supply for it but I'm going to assume that the same thing will happen with the clips and pops.

The laptop has a great spec but I have tried the interface on other computers and works fine. I have tried to optimise my laptop and no difference. Ideas??

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

focusrite stuff is brilliant quality for the money.

M-audio stuff can be a bit dodgy (drivers wise) and for the money, i dont think the quality is anyway better then ok.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/focusrite_scarlett_8i6.htm

is 4 ins, 4 outs, 2 spidif, Midi cant go wrong

Software setup issues. A windows machine can have several drivers controlling whatever is happening. You need the Lex to be accepted as the primary soundcard. Alerts etc. need to come out through the Lex. Clicks and pops are usually to do with clocking.
    DD

• Advertisement

Thanks Echoplex, by any chance could you help me out as to how do I solve problems with clocking. I have read up on this problem a bit and I have seen that the bitrate differing between the recording and the computer can cause problems but don't know exactly how that is changed either. I have the Lex set up as the main soundcard so the onboard soundcard only runs if the lex is plugged out.

Also, do you ever get any hiss from your lex cause I'm getting a bit from mine which I never got from any other soundcard.

Cheers for all replies too by the way :D

I am afraid I can't really help with specifics unless you have a Mac computer.
    Even at that the Lex Mac driver is not very good.
    I would try Lexicon support, they are a very decent company in general.
    You probably need a very specific software driver for your (PC I assume).
    Bit rate is misleading. Bit depth describes it better. Nothing to do with clocking though. The audio of the Lex seems excellent to me. Quiet mic pres, great headphone outs, no hiss.
    DD

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭godfrey

Bitrate applies mainly to mp3 and other compressed audio formats. You'll hopefully be recording .wav files (PCM) at either 44.1k or 48k or even 96k sample rates (not bit rates).

Make sure your project and your Lexicon interface (it's got it's own setup utility or mixer right?) are both set for the same sample rate, whether it's 44.1 or 48K. Bit depth may or may not be a choice on the interface, but these days 24 bit is the preferred setting for recordings, even though you'll eventually drop that to 16 bit for CD.

Hope this helps ~

g

Advertisement