Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious "Survey"

Options
  • 18-10-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

I had a call to my door yesterday from a guy who wanted to know if I would participate in a survey. He seemed friendly amd I was off guard so let him in. It quickly became clear that he was looking for personal info. e.g make of car, number of occupants and I asked him to leave at which point he became aggressive.

Anyone else come across him. About mid 50s , cork accent, small laptop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I've only had a lad call to the door selling tickets in aid of a charity, nothing like this.
    Seriously, how mad are you to let someone like that into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

seriously, letting someone into your house to do a survey??? if your bored and want a chat with someone, get onto boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

regress wrote: »
    I had a call to my door yesterday from a guy who wanted to know if I would participate in a survey. He seemed friendly amd I was off guard so let him in. It quickly became clear that he was looking for personal info. e.g make of car, number of occupants and I asked him to leave at which point he became aggressive.

Did you let him in without seeing ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

I know. I know. Twas stupid. He flashed ID but I didn't examine it. My worry now is that my house has been cased for a burglary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

head down to your local garda station and report it - they might know if it was legit survey or if they've been getting other reports from the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I know. I know. Twas stupid. He flashed ID but I didn't examine it. My worry now is that my house has been cased for a burglary.

Most likely he was from the CSO Household Survey Unit. I was on the Quarterly National Household Survey panel last year - four times a year I was interviewed about my household - household set up, education, employment, on the job training, internet connectability, transport, if I had experienced racial or sexual prejudice etc, weekly hours worked. I only took about 15 mins a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

did he say what survey was it?

I didn't ask what survey was for. Questions were all over the place and thinking back designed to get personal info. e.g. Car questions led to me divulging make and model of car, household questions to determine number in household. phone line and computer questions to determine what was in house. work questions to determine when house would be occupied. I know 'twas stupid but it took a few mins for me to click what was happening. definitely not CSO and definitely not legit.

just sounds sprt of like the QNHS, but they should have told you.
    they are external contractors so not all may be very professional.
    you could give them a quick ring and they will confirm for you.
    http://www.cso.ie/qnhs/contact_qnhs.htm
    For all field related queries, contact Michael Coughlan or Brendan Lynch 00 353 (0)21 453 5626.

deRanged wrote: »
    head down to your local garda station and report it - .

was thinking of that but not much info and no proof that he was engaged in wrongdoing. just a suspicion that may be paranoia.

• Advertisement

was thinking of that but not much info and no proof that he was engaged in wrongdoing. just a suspicion that may be paranoia.
    you should at least report the suspcious activity in case he continues doing it.
    a series of reports will be more useful for gardai to act on.

but do ring the CSO first...

subway wrote: »
    just sounds sprt of like the QNHS, but they should have told you.
    they are external contractors so not all may be very professional.
    you could give them a quick ring and they will confirm for you.

Thanks Subway. called them and they confirmed that it was not of of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Jeez, Cant believe you left the guy into your house! anyways, not trying to scare you, but yes you should report to the Gardai today giving as much detail as possible. usually the more legitimate people doing surveys will show their badge at the outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

There's an old woman comes around here every year doing surveys, not sure who for. She has a little netbook aswell and if you invite her in she'll come in. The questions come up on the laptop with different topics, last time I got some car safety questions including what car I drive and who owns it, who else drives it and things like that before moving on to some RSA ads. She's harmless, has to get so many surveys a day done to get paid, maybe that fella is doing something along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Couldn't have been more stranger than a traveller coming to your door 'selling' raffle tickets for a 'draw' to help raise funds for a traveller disco in the area..:confused:

had to ask the girl twice to repeat what she said and then sent her on her way! :confused::confused:

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

evilivor wrote: »
    Most likely he was from the CSO Household Survey Unit. I was on the Quarterly National Household Survey panel last year - four times a year I was interviewed about my household - household set up, education, employment, on the job training, internet connectability, transport, if I had experienced racial or sexual prejudice etc, weekly hours worked. I only took about 15 mins a time.

no way does it sound like a CSO Houshold Survey. I've taken part in this survey and it's handled in a professional manner.
    Initially the person will clearly identify the purpose of the survey, indicating that the person will return after a defined period of time as a follow-up, all part of the survey.

The fact that the person became aggressive concerns me, as others have said, contact the local Garda station to find out more and tell them the story, it could contribute to something they may have heard already in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johnnydenims

Hi, i did this survey and was promised a one4all voucher for doing it has anyone else received this voucher?

Hi, i did this survey and was promised a one4all voucher for doing it has anyone else received this voucher?

No voucher promised but haven't been burgled yet which was my concern. That could have been though because I was considered to be not worth robbing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Agressive in what way?

Advertisement