Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a Bike for work ??

• 18-10-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Looking for some friendly advice in regards to getting a bike to get to and from work. Below are the details of what I'm looking to facilitate.

I haven't been on a bike in many years and am overweight (18st) so the chance to get on a bike will be positive. The journey to take to work would be no more than 5km each way so its not a lot of distance. I just need something that would be suitable for my weight (quite sturdy) and be a comfortable ride. The terrain I would be travelling on would be either on a road or cycling pathway along a canal.

I work shift so this bike would be used at most 7 days every fortnight.

Budget wise I would like to be sensible so lets say no more than €400 which I know is not lot in biking terms but its the max I could spend. There is a cycle to work scheme in the job so I would look to go down that route if it is an option.

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Macker1 wrote: »
    Looking for some friendly advice in regards to getting a bike to get to and from work. Below are the details of what I'm looking to facilitate.

I haven't been on a bike in many years and am overweight (18st) so the chance to get on a bike will be positive. The journey to take to work would be no more than 5km each way so its not a lot of distance. I just need something that would be suitable for my weight (quite sturdy) and be a comfortable ride. The terrain I would be travelling on would be either on a road or cycling pathway along a canal.

I work shift so this bike would be used at most 7 days every fortnight.

Budget wise I would like to be sensible so lets say no more than €400 which I know is not lot in biking terms but its the max I could spend. There is a cycle to work scheme in the job so I would look to go down that route if it is an option.

Any suggestions welcome.

I assume the €400 is your budget after potential tax savings from going down the cycle to work route? Depending on the rate at which you pay tax the purchase budget would vary. On the excellent megathread on the scheme there's a post here which gives a good working example:
    The saving is made in your before tax or gross pay. Its usually deducted over a 12 month period. Once you avail of the scheme you cannot re-apply for another five years. Depending on what tax band you are in, the upper tax band saves 51% and the Lower tax band saves 23%. The maximum allowed on the scheme is €1000. Anything over is taxable, usually you just get a cheque for €1000, and pay the balance in cash.

I.E

John is in higher tax band. The €1000 he receives, he only pays back e490

Mary is in the lower band of tax. The €1000 she receives, she pays back e770
    At the basic tax rate, roughly speaking, you could spend 500-600 on a bike and the cost would <= 400 to you after tax savings. There's plenty of choice there. This thread has some excellent first hand advice on bikes suitable for heavier riders. They do refer to road bikes mainly and models mentioned are pricey but it's a starting point anyway. Personally I'd be inclined to look at a hybrid but that's me. Do you have any sense of what type you would like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Any suggestions on Bikes and retailers ???

Any suggestions on Bikes and retailers ???
    I think the first step would be if you could tell us if you have an idea of what sort of bike you would feel comfortable on. From there, it's easier for people to suggest bikes. The road bike versus a hybrid is a religious topic on here :) However, it's down to you to decide what you'll be comfortable on. That may mean trying out some bikes to get a feel though that can be tough from just a short cycle. Personally I find a hybrid more comfortable. I also felt it was sturdier and more stable as I was about 90kg when I started commuting by bike about 3 years ago. As an aside I haven't lost much; I'm 82kg now but I haven't done anything about my diet :) However, a road bike with drop bars would give you a more efficient cycle and would open up longer distances and perhaps sportives (right term?) in the longer term. That might not seem attractive now but there are a lot of people on here who went that route as they sought to lose weight and came to love cycling. Do you have a local bike shop (generally referred to as LBS on here, in case you wondered) that you could take some bikes for a spin from?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

I would agree with ciotog and recommend a hybrid for this job. But as ciotog says the question of hybrid versus road bike is like a religious debate around here.

I would strongly endorse what ciotog writes about hybrids "I find a hybrid more comfortable. I also felt it was sturdier and more stable". I also prefer the more upright riding position of a hybrid. But you will find lots of users who strongly disagree with these ideas and strongly advocate a road bike.

Best bet is to get down to a local bike shop and see if you can test ride a road bike and a hybrid.

The bike at first will be only for getting to and from work. I'm out of shape and overweight so something sturdy is a must. I would like a bit of comfort and I reckon a more upright postion would be best. I'm not looking to target landspeed records so speed is not a consideration so a hybrid sounds like the way to go.

I haven't had or been on a bike in many years so the cycling landscape has evolved dramatically over the years. Back in my day I had a good Raleigh MTB bought down at Harolds cross and my last bike in 1992 was a Specialized MTB that I brought back from the US.

I need something that will not fall to pieces and still be within my budget max €400.

What are the good brands nowadays?

For example would this be ok

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_744963_langId_-1_categoryId_212377#dtab At present this bike is not available

All comments appreciated

• Advertisement

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/st...Id_212377#dtab

This should do your job. At 21 kgs this is a heavy steel bike, with 35c wheels so lots of weight and lots of rolling resistance, not a sporty machine. But the payback for this should be a solid and comfortable ride (although lots of people round here would argue about this). Reading the customer reviews on the Halfords site most people seem happy with it and it should be well fit to support your weight.

If you loose weight and get the cycling bug, you may want to trade up to something lighter and more expensive. But if you just want transport to work and you take care of it, you should get years out of a bike like this.

I ride a Raleigh Oakland which is a slightly more expensive hybrid and based on my experience of cheap Raleigh hybrids, I would speculate that the chainwheels will be made of soft steel, so you will need to change gear with care to make them last. Also do not under any circumstances leave this kind of machine out in the rain or the spots of rust will quickly appear.

Reading the reviews the pedals seem low quality, so you may need to change them after a while. But again low quality components if treated with care can last quite a while. Treat this bike with care, when using it and when storing it and you should get years out of it.

On the downside it has no chain guard.

clonmahon wrote: »
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/st...Id_212377#dtab

This should do your job. At 21 kgs this is a heavy steel bike, with 35c wheels so lots of weight and lots of rolling resistance, not a sporty machine. But the payback for this should be a solid and comfortable ride (although lots of people round here would argue about this). Reading the customer reviews on the Halfords site most people seem happy with it and it should be well fit to support your weight.

If you loose weight and get the cycling bug, you may want to trade up to something lighter and more expensive. But if you just want transport to work and you take care of it, you should get years out of a bike like this.

I ride a Raleigh Oakland which is a slightly more expensive hybrid and based on my experience of cheap Raleigh hybrids, I would speculate that the chainwheels will be made of soft steel, so you will need to change gear with care to make them last. Also do not under any circumstances leave this kind of machine out in the rain or the spots of rust will quickly appear.

Reading the reviews the pedals seem low quality, so you may need to change them after a while. But again low quality components if treated with care can last quite a while. Treat this bike with care, when using it and when storing it and you should get years out of it.

On the downside it has no chain guard.

Thanks for responding but the link is not working..... Can you check and repost or even quote the name/model of bike

Thanks

Thanks for responding but the link is not working..... Can you check and repost or even quote the name/model of bike

Thanks

It's your link to the Raleigh Urban Pioneer Mens Hybrid Bike from Halfords for €224.99.

When budgeting also remember you will need some gear, pump, tool kit, lights, lock etc.

The bike at first will be only for getting to and from work. I'm out of shape and overweight so something sturdy is a must. I would like a bit of comfort and I reckon a more upright postion would be best. I'm not looking to target landspeed records so speed is not a consideration so a hybrid sounds like the way to go.

I haven't had or been on a bike in many years so the cycling landscape has evolved dramatically over the years. Back in my day I had a good Raleigh MTB bought down at Harolds cross and my last bike in 1992 was a Specialized MTB that I brought back from the US.

I need something that will not fall to pieces and still be within my budget max €400.

What are the good brands nowadays?

For example would this be ok

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_744963_langId_-1_categoryId_212377#dtab At present this bike is not available

All comments appreciated
    I see Trek and Giant mentioned fairly often, so I'd keep an eye out for those brands. I see Wheelworx have a Trek hybrid for €459 (I know that's more than budget but you also mentioned you might use the bike to work scheme): http://www.wheelworx.ie/bikes/hybrid/mens-hybrid/71-FX-2011 . Trek do publish that their hybrids have a max weight of 300lbs so you have comfort in that regard. I had a Raleigh Metro Pioneer as my first hybrid 3 years ago and didn't like it. The frame wasn't that comfortable for me (short arms, long top tube i.e. the bar). I'm also not sure that Raleigh are the force of quality they once were. But, for that kind of money you could do an awful lot worse. Just be sure to check the sizing of the one you choose and don't be fobbed off with 'last ones in stock' type salespeople.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

If I were you I'd phone up a few of the bike shops as soon as you can to see whether they have any deals on 2011 models right now. The 2012 models are in the shops now, so some of the shops are likely to be giving good deals on the 2011 models. For example, Cycleways in Parnell Street had some Specialized hybrids that would suit your needs with a couple of hundred knocked off the price. I'm sure some of the other shops must be doing something similar, if they've any 2011 bikes left.

Phone them up, tell them your requirements (and height), and they should be able to tell you over the phone. That way you could get a really decent bike within budget.

How about these......

http://www.eurocycles.ie/Commuter/Gents_Raleigh/RALEIGH_PIONEER_3_GENTS/4060_p.aspx#

More gears, 5 kg lighter, aluminium frame, better quality components, chainguard, kickstand. Looks good but a long way over you budget.

http://www.eurocycles.ie/Commuter/Gents_Raleigh/Raleigh_Detour/4069_p.aspx

Same sort of thing as the Pioneer but lower price, so some compromises on components no doubt. The website doesn't give too many specs

http://www.eurocycles.ie/Commuter/Gents_Hybrid_Bikes/Eurotrek_Country_Gents_21-dq-/4322_p.aspx

The website gives no specs at all on this one.

I would advise as ciotog does, you need to try out some of these machines. Its impossible to tell based on the specs how comfortable a bike will be. Any of you friends or neighbours have bikes you could try out, to give you some idea of the feel of different bikes.

Ciotog you are right Raleigh is not the force of quality they once were. My mother tells me when she was young in Cavan in the 1940s and 50s raleigh was the brand everyone wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

I'd stay away from raleigh if I were you, they have a great reputation which means they're never the cheapest bike on the market but they got bought out by a chinese company some time back and the quality went right down.

I have a raleigh touring bike and aside from being monstorously heavy the frame is awfully poor quality. The paint chips easier than any other bike I own and as a result rusts sets in quickly. Also, the rear brake mounts for the cantilever brakes aren't symmetrical with one side being a few mm higher than the other, it doesn't stop the brakes from working but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in raleigh's quality control.

The likes of giant, specialized and trek make better quality stuff but you do pay a certain premium for a brand name product and since they hold their value so well on the second hand market they're very attractive to thieves who want something they can sell on quickly. They're still generally a better buy than the likes of raleight though.

I'd also look at the carrera gryphon and carrera subway in halfords as well as less well known yet respectable brands such as merida or forme.

If you can, stay away from quill stems, 6 or 7 speed cassettes, suspension and anything that weighs anywhere near 20kg and don't be afraid of single-speeds.

and don't be afraid of single-speeds.

Good point hadn't thought of that, but for a 5 km commute a single speed would be ideal, unless it is hilly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Just my opinion but...
    A road race bike is overkill for a 5k commute. Try a bike with full mudguards (they stop you from getting too wet), a chain guard (stops your pants getting dirty) and a pannier rack (backpacks make you sweat) oh, and normal handlebars (you get to sit upright, like you do everywhere else).

Gears are a bit of a red herring, if you can even contemplate a single speed then any number of gears will do (3 or more). Don't worry about gears for getting up hills as there aren't that many but they will help when you're heading into a stiff breeze.

Personally I like disc brakes but others swear by the rim ones. At commuting speeds it shouldn't matter and if it's raining please slow down.

If it's your first bike in a while get a stem (the bit that links the fork to the handlebar) that can be adjusted. Lots of people say that you can be "fitted" for a bike but I've been fitted by professionals and have often found that after a while it just didn't feel right. It's perfect, but wrong. Quill stems and adjustable stems work just as good as any other and can be adjusted by you to suit yourself.

Saddles shouldn't be a problem over 5k as you'll only be sitting there for a few mins but get something you feel comfortable with. If you're buying from new then ask the shop if they can fit one from another model so you can try it out.

Buy nice rain gear (not expensive! try bargain shops) including pants. You won't often be cycling in the rain but even half an hour after a big shower a car or truck can splash you and it's not nice. It's nice if the jacket is a bit breathable but the pants don't need to be for commuting. Other cycling clothing shouldn't be required for short distances.

Please buy a good lock. It's not that I don't think that thieves don't have the right to earn a living but it's not good to encourage that sort of behaviour. Two locks will be best, a decent cable one and a good U lock (Kryptonite NYC etc). There are good posts on this topic here and elsewhere.

Try LOTS of bikes, there are plenty out there and they're all free to test (if they won't let you try a few then just leave, if they can't tolerate you when you've got money to spend imagine how they'll treat you afterwards). Even give road-racers and mountain bikes a go, they're both fun to ride even if they're not appropriate for commuting.

Don't buy a bike for what you MIGHT do in six months or a year. If you want to commute get a bike that'll do the job well. If you find that you want to go road-racing next summer or fancy injuring yourself falling off a hill then get a bike that will work for that too (I've got several!).

Stick to your budget, bikes are lovely things and sales people are far too good to let you leave without the shiny bits you've been looking at.

Above all, enjoy it. I've had bikes from 40 quid on up and loved them all in their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Hi, first time poster in this forum - looking at a bike for the bike to work scheme and was in wheelworx the other day. Like the sound of the servicing guarantee as its years since Ive looked after a bike.

Have a 20km cycle to work - not necessarily looking to do it every day! Was looking at the Trek FX 7.1/7.2/7.3 modes.....anyone any opinions on whether they better models are worth it for that kind of commute?

Also looking to use bike for cycling along canal edge etc with kids, hence hybrid rather than road bike.

Any inputs at all welcome!
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

fungun wrote: »
    Hi, first time poster in this forum - looking at a bike for the bike to work scheme and was in wheelworx the other day. Like the sound of the servicing guarantee as its years since Ive looked after a bike.

Have a 20km cycle to work - not necessarily looking to do it every day! Was looking at the Trek FX 7.1/7.2/7.3 modes.....anyone any opinions on whether they better models are worth it for that kind of commute?

Also looking to use bike for cycling along canal edge etc with kids, hence hybrid rather than road bike.

FWIW, a road bike is fine for light off-road. If you get a hybrid and do the sort of off-roading that is impossible on a road bike, you'll at least need to change the tyres for something a bit knobblier, which will make your commute slower and more annoying. Can you really be bothered to change the tyres every time you go for a cycle with the kids?

That's not to say a hybrid is a bad choice, but for a 40km round-trip commute I'd want drop bars, and many road bikes will take 28mm slicks which will be fine on a towpath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Thanks
    Get a road bike for the 20km cycle as you'll want to change from a hybrid quickly with that distance. For the canal tow path you can get any cheap mountain bike as you won't be going fast or going for long distances. A cyclocross bike would do both nicely too but they tend to be a little bit more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

ok thanks for the inputs - the roads where i live are a bit **** too, very rough and potholey. Would a hybrid bikes tyres stand up to this a bit better?

Hmm, Id kinda decided on a hybrid, not sure now.....so it might be that a road bike with specific tyres might be the best option? Any recommendations for models/tyres for that.

When you go to a bike shop and say you are doing the bike to work scheme the prices just seem to go up and up, need to find the right balance point!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

When you go to a bike shop and say you are doing the bike to work scheme the prices just seem to go up and up, need to find the right balance point!!!

You just need to pick a budget and stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

ok thanks for the inputs - the roads where i live are a bit **** too, very rough and potholey. Would a hybrid bikes tyres stand up to this a bit better?

In my experience, people tend to underestimate what a road bike can do and overestimate how bad the roads are.

This is a picture of part of the cycle route from GaelForceWest, most people do this on road bikes.

Gaelforce+West+066.jpg

Personally I went from an MTB to a Hybrid to a Road Bike. I'd never cycle anything else on a road now. If I wanted to do proper off-roading I'd just buy another bike (MTB).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I agree with the previous poster who prefers a road bike to a flat bar hybrid. On a hybrid as the distance of a spin increases the hand discomfort increases.

I have five bikes, my first was a flat bar hybrid (Specialized Sirrus), the rest are drop bar road bikes (in order: aluminium frame Specialized Allez triple 24 gears; titanium frame Setavento triple 30 gears; carbon frame (?) Felt singlespeed; steel frame On One 8 hub gears.

I picked up a On One hub gear bike last week on cycling adverts here. If you are in a rush buy the best quality road bike you can afford. If not in a rush keep checking the adverts here. Make sure to know in advance the bike size that fits you, and don't be tempted to make the bike fit you. It would help a lot if you go to buy with an experienced cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Road bikes can handle abuse and weight. For instance, a carbon Giant can support all 17 stone of Lawrence Dallaglio's chin.

dallaglio1.jpg_e_67a77f09b185250fb35a72ab5282a0be.jpg

Well I got some good news............. The Bike to Work scheme is open again in work so I can go ahead and get the quote this weekend and commence the process of getting some wheels under me.

Remember the following The bike at first will be only for getting to and from work. I'm out of shape and overweight so something sturdy is a must. I would like a bit of comfort and I reckon a more upright postion would be best. I'm not looking to target landspeed records so speed is not a consideration so a hybrid sounds like the way to go.

I will be going down to Wheelworx in Fonthill at the weekend to get a quote I plan on spending around €800-€900 to get the following.

Bike
    Lock
    Mudguards
    Lights
    Carrier
    Raingear if possible

I did call in last week as I had never been in the store and the guy I spoke to had recommended a Hybrid bike (not sure of model but it was a Felt)was best suited to my needs. I didn't go into a lot of detail as I had still to find out about the scheme in work.
    Can someone with a bit of knowledge please advise on what I should be looking for.

Well I got some good news............. The Bike to Work scheme is open again in work so I can go ahead and get the quote this weekend and commence the process of getting some wheels under me.

Remember the following The bike at first will be only for getting to and from work. I'm out of shape and overweight so something sturdy is a must. I would like a bit of comfort and I reckon a more upright postion would be best. I'm not looking to target landspeed records so speed is not a consideration so a hybrid sounds like the way to go.

I will be going down to Wheelworx in Fonthill at the weekend to get a quote I plan on spending around €800-€900 to get the following.

Bike
    Lock
    Mudguards
    Lights
    Carrier
    Raingear if possible

I did call in last week as I had never been in the store and the guy I spoke to had recommended a Hybrid bike (not sure of model but it was a Felt)was best suited to my needs. I didn't go into a lot of detail as I had still to find out about the scheme in work.
    Can someone with a bit of knowledge please advise on what I should be looking for.

Bump........ Even a recommendation on a bike would be a help.

Thanks

I looked at the under €1000 Felt men's hybrids on the Wheelworx site: QX65; QX70; QX75; QX80.

I would reject the QX70 and QX80 as they have front suspension forks that are in my opinion not needed in the city, and imo just for show. The QX80 has disk brakes, imo nice but not needed. I'd go for the basic model, the QX65, and spend about €100 on a lock*, and also spend on shoes and clothing. Felt are a good brand. I have a Felt singlespeed.

* only buy one of these two, with a preference for the Abus Granit, both rated 10/10 in an October 2010 magazine review

Kryptonite New York lock UK£80 in Oct 2010
    Abus Granit X-Plus UK£90 in Oct 2010
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-granit-x-plus-54-23cm-bike-d-lock/

I would not buy a cable lock. The above recommendations will not guarantee your bike's safety.

If you want to spend a bit I would get these expensive bags. I have them.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ortlieb-back-roller-plus-panniers/

I'm not looking to target landspeed records so speed is not a consideration so a hybrid sounds like the way to go.
    The bicycle speed record is only 166 mph. Go for it. :)

If this is TLTR then just skip to the last paragraph.
    You seem to be looking for a hybrid which I think is pretty sensible given what you're trying to do. The Wheelworx guys seem to sell Trek and Felt "hybrids" but the pictures of the Felt bikes are from their "Allround" section rather than their "Hybrid". That means charging extra for things like Carriers, mudguards and chain covers (I just love those things, got more gunk on my pants on the MTB today). The Trek bikes are the same. I guess they make loads more selling these items as extras rather than part of the package.

So...
    Let's work backwards, get two locks, a Kryptonite NYC, and a stout cable lock (for the front wheel and to stop them using the frame as a lever to break the NYC). That should come to the guts of 140.

Lights, if it's just urban commuting then I bought a really cheap front and rear light in a €2 shop today and they're fine. If you're on unlit country roads then maybe you'll need a better front light but a blinking rear is fine. Don't pay a tenner for it!

Mudguards and carrier are expensive. I'm for cheap mudguards, the cool looking silver ones just mark your bike out for special attention and still only keep the rain off.
    The carrier should NOT be one that attaches to the seatpost only. Get one that attaches to the bike properly or you won't be able to add panniers. This will be expensive but suck it up. Panniers are €20 in Halfords and come with a rain cover. They're just perfect so save your money for something other than posh luggage.

You've probably spent the bulk of €100 on this lot so that leaves you with six or seven hundred for the bike and rain gear. If it's on the bike-2-dole scheme then I'd resist getting rain-gear on it. I find cycle specific stuff to be expensive and you don't need the "Oh but it's super breathable..." thing for a short cycle. The scheme is a three year deal so I'd spend the money on things that depreciate but don't wear out like clothes.
    Try a bargain outdoor shop, my wife's rain gear cost €35 for breathable pants and €45 for a jacket of similar material. Her cycle is only slightly more than yours and you could not be less fit than her. Seriously!

The bike:
    Trek are good, so are Felt. Wheelworks have some extra cheap versions of the Felt bikes (QX75 & QX85) which lose the suspension but get disc brakes. Personally I like disc brakes 'cos they stop me in the wet which I find useful. That said, a lot of people think that's not important and if you're not going to go too fast then fair enough.
    My wife swears by her suspension fork, she reckons it makes the bike more comfortable. I don't think it does any good but she's always right. In truth suspension will take some of the thump out of the worst potholes and won't make the bike significantly heavier or harder to pedal. They do add a bit of maintenance though so they'll cost you a bit in the long run.

Wheelworx offer a 30 day trial on their website. Take them up on it! Ride something with a suspension and something without. Check out the cushy padded saddles too, they can be a LOT more comfortable than the hard plastic things that you get as standard. If the saddles feel nasty then get them to change it. The trial thing is a good offer, use it.

If it were my money I'd probably go for this even though it's a women's bike but I'm too old to care about image. Keep the tax break for another day and just see if I like bikes.
    The Felt QX65 looks like best value from what's there as I'm not sure what you're getting with the slightly higher priced models. If you need to spend your budget then I'd try the QX75 or QX85 as you're getting nice discs along with all the other goodies. If you use the trial do test the suspension bikes just to see for yourself (I was forced to write this).
    Good Luck and enjoy riding!

• Advertisement

Folks,

Thanks for all the helpful input... Just wondering what the main differences of Disc Brakes versus normal are. What are the advantages or disadvantages of getting either.

This looks good imho.....

http://www.wheelworx.ie/bikes/hybrid/mens-hybrid/QX75-2011

Thoughts ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Disc brakes clamp onto a rotor attached to the hub and are generally signiciantly more powerful and lose less braking power in the rain and wet. They're slightly heavier and more expensive and provide more braking power than you really need on sealed roads. They used to be just for mountain bikes but use see them on hybrids and the like more these days. I really like them on my mountain bike since the trails I use are often nearly liquid but I wouldn't be too bothered spending extra money on them for road use. They do look cool though.

Rim brakes (specifically v-brakes in the case of the bikes you're looking at) are lighter and cheaper and they work perfectly well in most conditions and if they're set up properly they'll be capable of stopping you as fast as you'll feel comfortable. In the wet they're not as good but they still work, you just need to leave a little extra distance, same as you would with a car. I think they're grand for road use, probably easier to replace the pads and such as well as you can see clearly what's happening.

You won't regret buying disc brakes, but you won't regret buying rim brakes either.

I'd go for the cheaper one, you don't need any more for a short commute. If you really get into cycling you can put the money you save into a fancier more specialised race or mountain or cyclocross bike or off-road unicycle later on.

Totally agree with Tonyandthewhale on this. One other thing though, discs are more forgiving of buckles in the wheel. If you hit a pothole or other obstruction (hardly an unlikely event) and put a wheel out of alignment I find that the brakes can drag a bit until I get around to fixing buckle and I'm a lazy sod so it takes a while. Discs don't care much what the rim is doing so a small win for discs here.
    I also like the slightly improved stopping power in the wet (depending on the type of disc brake) as I occasionally find myself in situations where I need to stop quickly. If you keep a reasonable speed and keep your attention focused on the road this won't be such a problem (I don't and it is!). I do use fairly grippy, fattish tyres which let me get the most out of my discs.

Maintenance is a little harder (for me) with disc brakes too but it shouldn't be a deal breaker.
    Try with discs and without, whichever one you like the feel of best will be fine.

Folks,

I was in getting sorted with a quote at Wheelworx earlier today and have to say found the guy I was dealing with very helpful. He carefully listened to what I was looking for and after a while proceeded to show me a couple of different bikes that were within my budget.

Just wanted to here some feedback/opinions on the two bikes. I have had to use links from other sites as they are not up on the Wheelworx site

Option 1

http://www.isport.ie/index.php/en/component/virtuemart/details/464/6/city-bikes/felt-qx-75-2012

Option 2

http://donegan.ie/trek-trek-7300-2012-p-532.html

The one I was shown does not have disc brakes but does have memory form saddle and I believe better tyres than the Felt

My understanding is that both Felt and Trek are fairly comparable in terms of quality so just wondering if any one has experience of either of the 2011 models.

Thanks for help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kincsem wrote: »
    ...front suspension forks that are in my opinion not needed in the city,...

+1 they just unnecessary weight and cost.

Folks,

I was in getting sorted with a quote at Wheelworx earlier today and have to say found the guy I was dealing with very helpful. He carefully listened to what I was looking for and after a while proceeded to show me a couple of different bikes that were within my budget.

Just wanted to here some feedback/opinions on the two bikes. I have had to use links from other sites as they are not up on the Wheelworx site

Option 1

http://www.isport.ie/index.php/en/component/virtuemart/details/464/6/city-bikes/felt-qx-75-2012

Option 2

http://donegan.ie/trek-trek-7300-2012-p-532.html

The one I was shown does not have disc brakes but does have memory form saddle and I believe better tyres than the Felt

My understanding is that both Felt and Trek are fairly comparable in terms of quality so just wondering if any one has experience of either of the 2011 models.

Thanks for help
    +1 Kincsem and BostonB, skip the suspension on a city bike. As you improve your fitness and start moving around quicker the suspension fork is going to annoy you. The Felt option with the disc brakes (I have a disc brake on the front of my hybrid and would never go back now) looks like a good choice for you. I would also venture you may take it out for more than just the commute :)

• Advertisement

I decided to go ahead with the Felt QX75 2012 model today and got me quotation for the bike and various accessories which I will process with the job this coming week. Hopefully will be up and running (ahem cycling ;)) within the next fortnight.

Looking forward to it being honest as it will be good for the body and mind.

Thanks

I decided to go ahead with the Felt QX75 2012 model today and got me quotation for the bike and various accessories which I will process with the job this coming week. Hopefully will be up and running (ahem cycling ;)) within the next fortnight.

Looking forward to it being honest as it will be good for the body and mind.

Thanks
    It's really, really good for the mind (imho) - as someone with experience of depression, cycling has given me a daily exercise activity that I love and helped me hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

I dont know much about bikes, but my boyfriend recently bought a bike with Top Bike in Shannon Co. Clare. They are a division of Top Part Motor Factors.
    I know he got the bike as part of the Bike to Work scheme so it would be worth a look.
    http://www.topbike.ie/

k_smash wrote: »
    I dont know much about bikes, but my boyfriend recently bought a bike with Top Bike in Shannon Co. Clare. They are a division of Top Part Motor Factors.
    I know he got the bike as part of the Bike to Work scheme so it would be worth a look.
    http://www.topbike.ie/

Thanks but already dealing with the folks at Wheelworx who have been very helpful.

Advertisement