Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landscaping a sloping garden

Options
  • 18-10-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I have just bought a house that is on an half acre site. The house is nicely elevated with great views of the surrounding countryside but as a result the garden is sloping from the back of house right down to the end of the garden.

It is a south facing garden so it gets the sun throughout the day.

It is basically a blank canvas at the moment and I don't know where to start with it or how much to budget.

I was thinking of maybe tiering it with a seating/bbq area at the top to admire the views. Some lawn in the middle for future kids to play and a veg garden at the bottom with a poly tunnel.

I would love to get some of your suggestions. all advice greatly appreciated esp on cost of my plan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I'd advise you to get some professional advice. A garden designer would be able to evaluate your site and work up a set of plans on how to construct and plant your garden. They should also be able to cost each element allowing you to plan the works over a period that suits you and according to your budget.
    You could then decide what elements you can do yourself and what you'll need help with. You'll be able to use the plan to get proper tenders from landscape contractors if needs be. Also with a planting plan you can approach a nursery and get a really competitive price rather than buying plants piecemeal. I believe this is the most cost effective way yo proceed.

I'd advise you to look up designers who are members of the GLDA as you'll be confident of proper professional advice and hopefully spectacular results.
    BTW- I have to declare a bias in this as I am a landscape designer although not a member of the GLDA. I'm sure many landscape contractors would reckon you could save money on the designer and get the whole job done by them for less.:(

Thats exactly the advice I was given myself. Get a designer to draw up what works for you and cost it all out, then you can tip along at it yourself over a few months/years whichever suits

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Thanks for the advice. How much would a garden designer cost for a consultation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Rinker wrote: »
    I'd advise you to get some professional advice. A garden designer would be able to evaluate your site and work up a set of plans on how to construct and plant your garden. They should also be able to cost each element allowing you to plan the works over a period that suits you and according to your budget.
    You could then decide what elements you can do yourself and what you'll need help with. You'll be able to use the plan to get proper tenders from landscape contractors if needs be. Also with a planting plan you can approach a nursery and get a really competitive price rather than buying plants piecemeal. I believe this is the most cost effective way yo proceed.

I'd advise you to look up designers who are members of the GLDA as you'll be confident of proper professional advice and hopefully spectacular results.
    BTW- I have to declare a bias in this as I am a landscape designer although not a member of the GLDA. I'm sure many landscape contractors would reckon you could save money on the designer and get the whole job done by them for less.:(

OP
    there are many competent garden designers/builders throughout Ireland, many of whom are not affiliated to any organization. Also, you can look at www.alci.ie which which has an extensive list c 100 members throughout Ireland including some designers/builders etc.

When you're researching you will probably discover that some designers are in fact working in a full-time capacity in teaching.

Aside from costs there may be many other advantages for using a designer/builder. Whichever route you select, Phase 1 is getting a design which fullfills your requirements.

You have what sounds like an interesting site and best of luck with your endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Contact Paul Doyle http://www.pauldoyledesign.com/Biography.html
    Great garden designer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

darabbit wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. How much would a garden designer cost for a consultation?

I'd say about €150- €200 for an initial consultation.
    This would involve a site survey and a conversation with the client about what their needs are and what can be achieved on the site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

darabbit wrote: »
    I have just bought a house that is on an half acre site. The house is nicely elevated with great views of the surrounding countryside but as a result the garden is sloping from the back of house right down to the end of the garden.

It is a south facing garden so it gets the sun throughout the day.

It is basically a blank canvas at the moment and I don't know where to start with it or how much to budget.

I was thinking of maybe tiering it with a seating/bbq area at the top to admire the views. Some lawn in the middle for future kids to play and a veg garden at the bottom with a poly tunnel.

I would love to get some of your suggestions. all advice greatly appreciated esp on cost of my plan.
    Well you have four advantages straight away: south facing, elevated views, a blank canvas and a sloping site. :)
    Good garden designers spend much of their time trying to compensate for 'flat' gardens by adding structures which create interesting changes in levels.

Advertisement