Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael D Higgins -Presidential Advertisment

Options
  • 18-10-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

Was just browsing around various forums and in the top right hand corner there's usually an advertising banner there.

Just noticed a Michael D Higgins Presidential advert there a few minutes ago.

Should boards.ie not be impartial or are there other Presidential candidates who have advertising here too?

Just curious is all.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Anyone's free to buy advertising space. I doubt partiality comes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ah right. Was just wondering. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thought I saw Gay Mitchell, but maybe I was mistaken.

But yeah - anybody can advertise as long as they are willing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sully wrote: »
    Thought I saw Gay Mitchell, but maybe I was mistaken.
    I think that was an ad for a re-run of ALF.

gay.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 83,175 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

See the Fairness Doctrine.

So long as boards.ie offers the same and equal advertising opportunities to any other candidates I don't see the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It doesn't surprise me at all to see political ads here - Boards.ie advertises all kinds of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That_Guy wrote: »
    Should boards.ie not be impartial or are there other Presidential candidates who have advertising here too?

Just curious is all.

Should Irish Rail be impartial as a semi-state body? I passed through Leixlip station today and there was a full hoarding ad for Gray Mitchell.

Irish Rail doesn't control these hoardings - Bravo do. Similarly Boards.ie doesn't choose the ads here. There are certain categories blocked - e.g. adult ones - but political ones aren't. Any candidate can book ads.
    It doesn't surprise me at all to see political ads here - Boards.ie advertises all kinds of everything.

I see what you did there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Adult shops aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Any political parties at any election are welcome to advertising space here - that's always been the way and I would imagine it will always be the way.

Adult shops are allowed to buy advertising here Zohan - they have done in the past :) They've been restricted to the S&S forum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dav wrote: »
    Any political parties at any election are welcome to advertising space here - that's always been the way and I would imagine it will always be the way.

Adult shops are allowed to buy advertising here Zohan - they have done in the past :) They've been restricted to the S&S forum though.
    But I thought subscribing meant that you didn't get ads?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

El Weirdo wrote: »
    But I thought subscribing meant that you didn't get ads?

You can turn them off, well you could anyway, but its not set that way by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sully wrote: »
    You can turn them off, well you could anyway, but its not set that way by default.
    Gotcha.

Advertisement