Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The REAL Irish Pubs

Options
  • 18-10-2011 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I know: such a typical question for a tourist...
    So this is my story:
    I'm 20 years old and I moved from a small town nears Stuttgart in Germany to Dublin 2 weeks ago and I'm going to stay here for a hole year.
    This is my third week now and you know what: the only people I get to know to are the people in my office, my appartment and a bunch of Germans. Really: I think there are more German people in Dublin than Irish!
    I'm searching for something like that:
    A real irish pub, not a tourist pub, where I can find all the things that I've heard of and that made me want to come here (I've heard also from irish people). Some comfortable place where I can have a craic, chat with cool guys (who might be drunk ;)) and where a pint costs less than 4,50euro (maybe)...

Thank you for your help in advance otherwise I have to try every pub in Dublin (one year is plenty of time to do that!):D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Hi Liisa. I recommend you stay away from the tourist trap that is Temple Bar and instead, try these

Kehoe's on South Anne St
    Toners Merrion Row/Baggot St area
    Stag's Head at Dame Lane
    Grogan's behind the Powerscourt Townhouse Centre

All tried and tested by generations of thirsty Dubliners and visitors alike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Stags Head, O'Donoghues, Kehoes, McDaids, Mulligans on Poolbeg St.

Foggy Dew & Bruxelles are good on a Sat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Long Hall
    Kehoes
    Grogans
    Hartigans
    Stags Head
    O Briens (Leeson Street)
    Mulligans
    The Sackville
    Dice Bar
    The Cobblestone
    The Lord Edward
    The Ha' penny Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

the celt on lower abby st is good pub to. alwas live music and get good food in there too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Liisa

Wow! Thank you for that quick reply to all of you...
    So I have a lot to try! ;)
    An yes... I'm not really into the Temple Bar district... it's obvious that it's more for tourists... at least nowadays!:)

• Advertisement

Liisa wrote: »
    Wow! Thank you for that quick reply to all of you...
    So I have a lot to try! ;)
    An yes... I'm not really into the Temple Bar district... it's obvious that it's more for tourists... at least nowadays!:)

Nothing wrong with touristy places, of course. It's just that they're a bit pricey and not always as friendly as they make out. The pubs, that is, not the tourists...

old hippy wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with touristy places, of course. It's just that they're a bit pricey and not always as friendly as they make out. The pubs, that is, not the tourists...
    Yeah, maybe it's more about the expensive prices and the unfriendly stuff! :rolleyes:

Liisa wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe it's more about the expensive prices and the unfriendly stuff! :rolleyes:

Tbh, I don't mind paying a bit over the odds - if the pub is good atmosphere and all that. But the examples here are prettty much a good indicator of the best Dublin has to offer. And making me homesick, as well! :rolleyes:

I would, however, take issue with the Foggy Dew - IMHO, it's just not the same since they opened it out. But hey, who knows? You might meet Mr Right there... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Fallons on Dean street, it's close to St Patricks Cathedral. Lovely pint of Guinness and it costs 4.20 :D The Thomas House is a good spot for rock punk and metal music, has gigs on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Where abouts are you living in dublin there might be a few good pubs nearer to you as all the above mentioned are in the city centre.

• Advertisement

Nevertheless, thank you all!
    I'm living very close to the city centre at the moment. 10min. walkingdistance from St. Stephens Green. But only for another 7 weeks, than I have to move to something cheaper!
    And yes, if I earned any money, I wouldn'd mind if a pint costs 2euro more or less if the athmosphere is okay... how ever: I'll follow your hints! ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Try the Dawson Lounge on Dawson Street.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

bit of local bias here but i'm gonna second the cobblestone... not that any of the other pubs listed aren't good mind.. just that the cobblestone would be my own favorite among them
    the international can be alright the odd time too

also.. slattery's in rathmines is a pretty decent spot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if you want a real irish pub stay away from the tourist areas. the strand house at the 5 lamps on the north strand is a 'baptism of fire' if you want to experience a real irish pub
    the bachelor inn on bachelor walk is a toned down version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Ryan on Queen St. is my favourite pub in the city or else the Cobblestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Mulligans supposedly has the best Guinness in ireland. No idea if its true but it does taste unreal in there. Like cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Eldoco wrote: »
    the celt on lower abby st is good pub to. alwas live music and get good food in there too...

Has it moved from Talbot Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Cobblestone is in the guidebooks, and consequently is full of tourists these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

deaddonkey wrote: »
    Cobblestone is in the guidebooks, and consequently is full of tourists these days.

If you go midweek it can be ok. I dont think I have ever drank there at a weekend so can't really comment.

Fallons on Dean street, it's close to St Patricks Cathedral. Lovely pint of Guinness and it costs 4.20 :D The Thomas House is a good spot for rock punk and metal music, has gigs on too.

Good choices.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Eldoco wrote: »

Bit of a tourist pub but a decent mox of folk, I love that pub myself.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Mulligans supposedly has the best Guinness in ireland. No idea if its true but it does taste unreal in there. Like cream.

Never been but heard it being mentioned a few times. What street is it on, need to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

About a 60 second walk from the gates of trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Jaysus, I'd murder a few pints now after reading this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Some great pubs mentioned; I'll throw in The Palace on Fleet Street and Cassidys on Wexford street. Is it true COnways on Parnell Street has gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

yes,Conways is long closed now,pity,as I liked it.

Conways was a nice spot alright. Been gone a while now.

Nealons on Capel Street is another nice boozer. As is Slatterrys in Rathmines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Ill throw in Devitts on Camden street. very good trad session on a friday which i play at.

other great ones have been mentioned so im going to just reiterate Grogans and, if your out this way, my favourite pub in the world Slatterys in Rathmines.

happy drinkin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Ill throw in Devitts on Camden street. very good trad session on a friday which i play at.

other great ones have been mentioned so im going to just reiterate Grogans and, if your out this way, my favourite pub in the world Slatterys in Rathmines.

happy drinkin!
    I started my drinking apprenticeship (underage) in Devitts a long long time ago. I grew up around the corner. Haven't been there in years so I might drop in for the trad some friday. Funny enough I always start off in Grogans if ever I'm out in town.

Advertisement