Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for coffee in Cork

Options
  • 18-10-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

I usually try and head into town for an hour at the weekend with a magazine. Usual haunts of mine are Idaho Cafe, Cork Coffee Roasters and last Sunday I went to Costa Coffee. Idaho is probably my favourite for overall setting. During the week I pick up coffees at Italee on Oliver Plunket Street...fab coffee!

Where's you favourite place for a coffee in Cork?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

LA Bagels on Oliver Plunkett St.

Get a window seat and watch all the characters of cork walk by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Gusto on Washington Street has the best cappuccino.

Butlers has a nice americano.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Love the coffee in Butlers, but starting to like Gloria Jeans' Coffee Pod now just to sit for a while and watch the world pass by.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Cafe Depeche, the one beside the gate cinema. Really like everything about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Dunnes, Tesco, Super value, they all have excellent brands and most work out at between 10 to 16c per cup.

• Advertisement

headmaster wrote: »
    Dunnes, Tesco, Super value, they all have excellent brands and most work out at between 10 to 16c per cup.

For a few euro it's sometimes nice to have a cup of coffee out and about, chill out, gather ones thoughts etc. One of life's simple pleasures.

A cuppa at home is lovely too no doubt, one deserves a little treat in today's hectic life though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

where do ye think serves the best hot chocolate? oh and the best coffee is the place across the road from finn corner on washington street,can't think of the name.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Coffee central in the English market.
    /thread ends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

Fellini's on Carey's lane used to be a lot better than it is now. They need to service their machine I think, lots of fines in the coffee, but it's still a lovely spot to relax in for half an hour. All in all you can't beat coffee roasters though.

Alternatively you can whip into Gurmans on Fenn's Quay and get some Jamaican blue mountain, (a snip at €280 a kilo) and brew your own at home! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I'd fully agree with having a stroll around. Little shops are doing coffee now, the likes of the english market is great for sitting and letting the atmosphere go on around you whilst you sit there supping your coffee is quite a good buzz.

There is a place at the end where smyths toy shop is. I can't recall the name but walk past smyths and past 'pisces' pet shop on the left they do very good coffee and always a good atmosphere in there and of course good coffee too.

• Advertisement

There is a place at the end where smyths toy shop is. I can't recall the name but walk past smyths and past 'pisces' pet shop on the left they do very good coffee and always a good atmosphere in there and of course good coffee too.

That's Idaho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I heard the new Italian place on Oliver Plunkett street opposite Milano's is good but I haven't been there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

JaneHudson wrote: »
    I heard the new Italian place on Oliver Plunkett street opposite Milano's is good but I haven't been there yet.

ITALEE

Quality. Proper Italian. Proper coffee.

Those places like Gloria Jeans and Gusto and Insomnia are a disgrace. Rip-off and unfriendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

kcb wrote: »
    ITALEE

Quality. Proper Italian. Proper coffee.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

horgan_p wrote: »
    Coffee central in the English market.
    /thread ends :)

+1

Not just my favourite in Cork but my favourite anywhere, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

+1

Is that the smaller one in the middle or the bigger one down by the fish mongers?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Loire wrote: »
    Is that the smaller one in the middle or the bigger one down by the fish mongers?

It's the one in the middle. As seen on the interweb. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

+1

Coffee Central isn't somewhere you'd linger for a while with a book, or for a long chat with a friend though is it? I've stood there and had a coffee before, and it's a bit jostly :D Is the coffee that good? I'm not exactly a connoisseur ;) but I go to coffee places mainly for the atmosphere and a nice place to sit for a while. I like Idaho and Gusto.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Anyone who has any idea about coffee knows, yes, as people have said, that Coffee Central in the English Market has the best coffee in town. No doubt about it.

Any of these franchises, Butlers, Insomnia, Gloria Jeans, as people has said too, generally have mass-market coffee that really is very poor. It's mainly just an image.

Cork Coffee Roasters has excellent coffee too, but it really has become a brand and image too and it depends on who is banging away at the coffee machine... sometimes the coffee can be good, other times awful.

Coffee Central is the only place that consistently trains people who can make consistently good coffee. (And yes, it's the one that you see as you go in to the left from the Princes St. entrance. You can't miss it, because it's always packed.)

EDIT:
    Malari wrote: »
    Coffee Central isn't somewhere you'd linger for a while with a book, or for a long chat with a friend though is it? I've stood there and had a coffee before, and it's a bit jostly.

Know what you're saying. It may have the best coffee, but probably isn't the best 'place for coffee'!
    Malari wrote: »
    Is the coffee that good?

Yes. Yes it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Coffee in the Crawford Art Gallery is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Vivara wrote: »
    EDIT:

Know what you're saying. It may have the best coffee, but probably isn't the best 'place for coffee'!

Yes. Yes it is!

Ok, I'll have to try it again. Mostly though, I'm meeting friends for coffee on a Saturday afternoon and it's the last place to go if you want to talk! I'm gonna try a takeaway though next time I go through the Market ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Cafe Gusto & Coffee Central

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Café Gusto
    Bodega
    Cork Coffee Roasters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Vivara wrote: »
    Anyone who has any idea about coffee knows, yes, as people have said, that Coffee Central in the English Market has the best coffee in town. No doubt about it.

You've never been to Italee so!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was recently introduced to the Coffee in McDonals and I have to say tis yummie for €1 I think it is really nice, tasty coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Milly33 wrote: »
    I was recently introduced to the Coffee in McDonals and I have to say tis yummie for €1 I think it is really nice, tasty coffee

while it may no be cool to mention the M word I must agree with you Milly. Lately I had a white coffee at the one in Mahon Point and I was well impressed.
    Recently got a coffee to go in Gloria Jeans (sorry!) and christ it was awful, just too damn hot.
    RE: Cork Coffee Roasters, I've had good and bad there. Dying to try Italee and Coffee Central now.

Dying to try Italee and Coffee Central now.

While you're in Italee get a chocolate mousse to go with your coffee, you will not be disappointed..... seriously they're amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

markok84 wrote: »
    While you're in Italee get a chocolate mousse to go with your coffee, you will not be disappointed..... seriously they're amazing.

ooh, now you're talkin' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Delaine

Yes to the Bodega for coffee! Friendly service, really nice place to just kick back and read a book, or chat to your pals. And the best part is they serve you the coffee on a silver platter, with a little gold bar of chocolate and a shot of water! A shot of water with your coffee, its just swish! Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

+1 for the recommendation for Cafe Depeche by the Gate cinema. Will have to check out Italee and Coffee Central based on the various posts here also.

Advertisement