Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for coffee in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

As someone who drinks a lot of coffee and has a slight obsession :o I was always a big fan of Cork Coffee Roasters and O'Briens. The places I always hated were Gloria Jeans, Insomniac and the majority of the shops like Centra that do coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Try Italee on Oliver Plunket St. One of the few very genuinely Italian cafes in Ireland. Really nice food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Solair wrote: »
    Try Italee on Oliver Plunket St. One of the few very genuinely Italian cafes in Ireland. Really nice food too.

italle also do an Italian Hot Chocolate for 3 euro. It's a million miles away from a regular hot chocolate (which they have for 2 euro). Seriously the nicest hot chocolate you can get. As much as I love their coffee and hot chocolate for take away it's not the best IMO as a spot to chill with the paper....is it Idaho or Gusto then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Coffee central used to be my usual haunt.

Their (regular size, strong strength) americano is very good. I find anything other than this exact coffee is not.

For the record: A cappuccino is not 90:10 milk to coffee with half a centimetre of milk at the top, that's a latte at best. The bodega (and coffee central) serves this kind of cappuccino (ie: a cup of lukewarm milk with an espresso in it).

I cannot stand the Bodega!

Cappuccino wise the best I've had would be Gusto followed by Cafe Bar Deli or (believe it or not) Gourmet burger bistro on Bridge street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Dermighty wrote: »
    Coffee central used to be my usual haunt.
    Their (regular size, strong strength) americano is very good. I find anything other than this exact coffee is not.
    Based on all the votes in this thread, I tried out Coffee Central when I was back home at the weekend. Standard americano and latte were only average. I know even good places have off days, but I was very disappointed after all the hype!
    Back in Cork next weekend too, if it hasn't washed away in the meantime - will have to try Italee

• Advertisement

Popped into Coffee Central at lunchtime to see what all the fuss was about. Had a strong (nice to be offerred the choice) americano and all I can say is that it was DELISH. Good God, it was amazing. I love Italee too but found the coffeee in CC to have more depth. I loved the way the oul pair running it were chatting to people washing the used delph in the sink at the same time....kinda like the way the mammy does it when I'm on the phone to her! A great spot indeed.

It's a great place for a quickish coffee but not somewhere where you can sit and chat to friends or read the paper. In this regard, I think Idaho is probably the best place for a coffee rather than the place with the best coffeee....the search continues...

Loire wrote: »
    It's a great place for a quickish coffee but not somewhere where you can sit and chat to friends or read the paper. In this regard, I think Idaho is probably the best place for a coffee rather than the place with the best coffeee....the search continues...

Woodford > Idaho

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Dermighty wrote: »
    For the record: A cappuccino is not 90:10 milk to coffee with half a centimetre of milk at the top, that's a latte at best. The bodega (and coffee central) serves this kind of cappuccino (ie: a cup of lukewarm milk with an espresso in it).

I am always perplexed when people seem to really distinguish between a cappuccino and a latté and then start talking about ratios. The only difference between a cappuccino and a latté is the ratio of steamed milk to milk foam.

A cappuccino is quite simply this: 25% espresso, 20% steamed milk and 55% milk foam. So at least 75% of it is milk. I find it hard to believe that 90% of it was milk, but if it was any less it seems about right to me.

Then, surprise, surprise, a latté is 25% espresso, 55% steamed milk and 20% milk foam.

It's literally just a swap in the ratio of steamed milk to milk foam... and most places get it wrong so they end up being quite similar, just in a different glass/cup. But there really is no great distinction like people go on about.

And, I can't believe I forgot to mention my new favourite place:
    Café Eco which is quite new on Winthrop Street. It's from the same people that bring you the Webworkhouse (on the same premises) and Eco Douglas restaurant. You'd half miss it, but it's beautiful.

Absolutely superb coffee (specially trained baristas) and dozens of speciality teas. Real nice and cosy too, you can go there with a paper, laptop, iPad, book, and you won't be moved on for a while once you top yourself up every so often!

This is my new 'sit-down' place... Coffee Central is still my place if I want to get something on the run or just want to sit on a stool for five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Vivara wrote: »
    Café Eco
    Sounds good, I'll have to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

as long as Café Eco is town isn't ask crammed as Eco in Douglas I may give it a try. I might try to make it into Italee later today...does anyone know if they sell packets of the coffee they serve in the cafe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

where do ye think serves the best hot chocolate?

Gloria Jeans, Med White Hot Choc, I don't go down home often, but when I do I make sure to go! Miss it so much :D

Tried Cafe Eco yesterday in Wintrop Street. Nice place, but I got a take-away and I must say it was the worst coffee I've drank in a long time. After 3 sips it found itself in a bin. So bad I went to Italee to wash away the taste. Pity, as the place looks great for just chillin for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the only decent coffee I can remember getting anywhere in Ireland was in the "Bakery Union" place on Marlboro st.
    Im a fussy bugger and actually like to taste the coffee rather than gallons of tepid frothy milk.

proper segafredo coffee and only €2 for cappucino or a latte.

they don't do any fancy pants crap, but what they do do is damn tasty!
    Its as near to the way you get coffee in italy as I've seen done by non Italians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Tried Cafe Eco yesterday in Wintrop Street. Nice place, but I got a take-away and I must say it was the worst coffee I've drank in a long time. After 3 sips it found itself in a bin. So bad I went to Italee to wash away the taste. Pity, as the place looks great for just chillin for a while.

How would you say it rated against a black coffee (that's what we're talking about here, yeah?) from Costa?

FTGFOP wrote: »
    How would you say it rated against a black coffee (that's what we're talking about here, yeah?) from Costa?

I had an Americano in both and found Costa's perfectly fine.

the only decent coffee I can remember getting anywhere in Ireland was in the "Bakery Union" place on Marlboro st.
    Im a fussy bugger and actually like to taste the coffee rather than gallons of tepid frothy milk.

Its as near to the way you get coffee in italy as I've seen done by non Italians.

I know the guy who owns/runs this to see so will check it out and "report" back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Gloria jeans coffee pod
    Location location location
    Nice coffee too :-p

so, I purposely got up early on Saturday morning (with a hangover) to drive to Park & Ride to grab a bus into town all in order to sample a coffee in Italee.
    It was very tasty and the staff were nice. I will definitely return (without hangover next time:D).

soundsham wrote: »
    Gloria jeans coffee pod
    Location location location
    Nice coffee too :-p

I actually hate this place, their coffee is so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Italee and butlers are my favourites.

the Pavillion also do a nice coffee surprisingly enough

costa is good(good portions too) for a americanos, however some of their other drinks are poor. for example on a hot summers day this year i shelled out 5 euro for a smoothie, it was just frozen youghart and a lot of syrup. they over-do the syrup on everything else

stay away from marks and spencers cafe also, i ordered a black coffee there once and it was so watery and weak that i could see through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

The restrauant in M&S Douglas has surprisingly great coffee, dare I say the best in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Tried out Italee on Tuesday after lunch in Milano, they were quite busy, which is always a good sign. I had the double espresso, sat there for 5 minutes just smelling it (yum) and then sipped it slowly (total yum). Definitely a thumbs up for them, so Coffee Central will be tried out next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

I had an Americano in both and found Costa's perfectly fine.

Costa in Paul Street does good Americanos and it has good ambience and nice staff. They might take a look at their toilet maintenance, though, not great sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Plebian

The Zapatista coffee from south america in solidarity books on douglas street is unbelievable cofffee. just 5 euro for a 250g bag.

ok you have to make it yourself (unless the volunteer is having a cup when you visit...) but its top quality stuff.

http://www.solidaritybooks.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Plebian wrote: »
    The Zapatista coffee from south america in solidarity books on douglas street is unbelievable cofffee. just 5 euro for a 250g bag.

ok you have to make it yourself (unless the volunteer is having a cup when you visit...) but its top quality stuff.

http://www.solidaritybooks.org

You wouldn't happen to work there would you?
    Most of the posts you have made mention solidarity books.

Tried a Market Lane today for a takeaway. Watery. Almost exactly like the Bewleys stuff you get from most filling stations. Nice place to meet friends though and the bar counter area looks cool for a pre-dinner drink. Forget about the coffee though!

one thing I liked about Italee and it's a tiny point but critical and that is the temperature of the milk was perfect in my cappuccino. Jesus, I had a capuccino in Gloria Jeans once and it was about as hot molten magma (pronounced the Dr. Evil way). Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

where do ye think serves the best hot chocolate? oh and the best coffee is the place across the road from finn corner on washington street,can't think of the name.

Just asked the same question, see recent suggestions on this thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056463489

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bubby24

Thanks for the post! I tried them and they are really good. Best coffee in town and the prices .... unbelievable
    they also has very nice cakes yum yum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

CCR coffee is sublime but the food is terrible - packet stodge.

Gusto's coffee is just a shade not as good as that of CCR but the food is great, so the latter if it's both coffee and food you want; the former if it's just coffee.

Advertisement