Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for coffee in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Italee Cafe on Oliver Plunkett street has the best coffee around, by a long way.
    I find Roaster is not as good as it used to be, coffee is too far on the bitter side usually now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

SomeFool wrote: »

I usually head to Langford Row these days, great spot. Also fond of Filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Italee Cafe on Oliver Plunkett street has the best coffee around, by a long way.
    I find Roaster is not as good as it used to be, coffee is too far on the bitter side usually now.
    Spot on. Decent folk in there too, a very pleasant place.
    Tiramisu on Probys Quay worth a mention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I've had a few great coffees recently in 'Salt' on Victoria Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

sozbox wrote: »

Interesting never even heard of Langford Row, will definitely check it out. Is it there long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Had a cracking coffee in Cafe Depeche on Washington St / Western Rd on Sat morning..

opus wrote: »
    Interesting never even heard of Langford Row, will definitely check it out. Is it there long?

Around September it opened. Great spot for spending an hour or so hidden away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I always see Langford Row listed as a coffee & music store - how prominent is the music?

Alchemy is a cool spot, but the book element consists of about 4 dozen Dan Brown books that people have left behind!!!

EDIT: Cork Coffee Roasters is my most frequented coffee spot. Always good coffee and it's on my way to/from work so...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

The Bookshelf are pretty good I find when down in Cork. Might not be the best coffee but the setting and the other bits and pieces like the cakes make for a great overall experience.

Has anyone mentioned Café Gusto yet? Possibly the best window in Cork to people-watch with some great coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

my coffee preferences in Cork at the mo..

The Bookshelf - use to be my fav - great place - like from home to home.. great staff but i find that their coffee of late is a miss.. tbh - i've not liked it since they got their new machine..

Italee - great coffee - but not a cafe vibe..
    Filter - great coffee but never any place to sit - too small..
    Alchemy - my current hot spot.. coffee is fab - they change the bean frequently.. and their cakes... OMG..
    Langford row - same owners as Alchemy but the place itself needs work..
    Butlers - actually love their coffee.. but its not a coffee house..
    Roasters - not my cup of coffee at all.. pity as I love the interior - great for people watching
    Gusto - find their coffee only ok tbh
    Electric - actually do great coffee.. but not its not a coffee hours..
    Tiramisu - have not been yet but had a look in when passing - the wall paper would put me off - anyone else notice it? its v v v loud

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I always see Langford Row listed as a coffee & music store - how prominent is the music?

Not very prominent at all really. They did try to establish itself with a regular music session on Fridays but the tenant in the apartment above complained about noise so they had to stop. Pity really, it was really nice the few gigs I called in for.
    Alchemy is a cool spot, but the book element consists of about 4 dozen Dan Brown books that people have left behind!!!

Harsh on Alchemy. For a start the book count is probably more like 200 and there is plenty of choice. It's a second hand book swap cafe at the end of the day, if there's some specific book you are looking for, go to Waterstones.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Not very prominent at all really. They did try to establish itself with a regular music session on Fridays but the tenant in the apartment above complained about noise so they had to stop. Pity really, it was really nice the few gigs I called in for.

Harsh on Alchemy. For a start the book count is probably more like 200 and there is plenty of choice. It's a second hand book swap cafe at the end of the day, if there's some specific book you are looking for, go to Waterstones.

The tenant above Langford Row comes down in her nightgown sometimes to complain about the volume on the music system. Keep in mind they open 8am-5pm...

Pity those evening music sessions were cancelled, really good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

The tenant above Langford Row comes down in her nightgown sometimes to complain about the volume on the music system. Keep in mind they open 8am-5pm...

Pity those evening music sessions were cancelled, really good idea.

Have a memory of Brian in the HiB doing that on more than one Sunday night clearing the bar at around 11 :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

I'm always on the hunt for a good cappucino, and the only place that consistently does a good foamy one is Coffee Roasters. I've been sold cups of milky coffee with no foam in all the other spots.

28srf0c wrote: »
    I'm always on the hunt for a good cappucino, and the only place that consistently does a good foamy one is Coffee Roasters. I've been sold cups of milky coffee with no foam in all the other spots.

Where else have you been to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

kcb wrote: »
    Where else have you been to?

That place everybody here loves to jizz all over - Alchemy. Twice in a row I got a **** cappuccino. Never went there again. I am not lying when I say that I have had better cappuccinos from a petrol station.

Filter Coffee too, while not as bad, wasn't good enough to return to. And a few other random places around town. I still have to try Italee, but I don't think I will. I've been burned too many times and I don't want to risk it. Coffee Roasters is the exact same cappuccino every time, except for their airport branch. That is a pile of arse.

The ones in town though, and Bridge st. in particular - 11/10 for consistency. Like McDonald's level consistency. Why would I bother go anywhere else? Really though.

That place everybody here loves to jizz all over - Alchemy. Twice in a row I got a **** cappuccino. Never went there again. I am not lying when I say that I have had better cappuccinos from a petrol station.

Filter Coffee too, while not as bad, wasn't good enough to return to. And a few other random places around town. I still have to try Italee, but I don't think I will. I've been burned too many times and I don't want to risk it. Coffee Roasters is the exact same cappuccino every time, except for their airport branch. That is a pile of arse.

The ones in town though, and Bridge st. in particular - 11/10 for consistency. Like McDonald's level consistency. Why would I bother go anywhere else? Really though.

You're trying the wrong places. Avoid the gang of coffee shops like Idaho and co., the ones that pat themselves on the back all the time and create "coffee weekends"...

Stick to Italee and Tiramisu.

Cork Coffee Roasters is alright from my experience but not a particularly nice place or staff. Overpriced also. Wouldn't go back.

coffee is so personal - i v much dislike the cork roasters coffee- which is a pity as i love the one on bridge st for people watching.. and staff are nice - there is a girl there - been there for years.. from east eu - not sure if she's still there..

and i adore the coffee in Alchemy.. they know where their beans come from too and the conditions behind the farm etc..

as for cappuccino's - i don't drink them... but surely its a staff thing too? different staff might differ in technique/ability?

Maybe the likes of Alchemy, Filter etc do better with COFFEE as it is - rather than cappuccino's, latte's, mocha's etc..

PS butlers coffee is amazing imo - chain or not - its good - and its always mad busy.. consistently so..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I like Depeche on western road. Coffee is indeed very personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sporina wrote: »
    my coffee preferences in Cork at the mo..

The Bookshelf - use to be my fav - great place - like from home to home.. great staff but i find that their coffee of late is a miss.. tbh - i've not liked it since they got their new machine..

Italee - great coffee - but not a cafe vibe..
    Filter - great coffee but never any place to sit - too small..
    Alchemy - my current hot spot.. coffee is fab - they change the bean frequently.. and their cakes... OMG..
    Langford row - same owners as Alchemy but the place itself needs work..
    Butlers - actually love their coffee.. but its not a coffee house..
    Roasters - not my cup of coffee at all.. pity as I love the interior - great for people watching
    Gusto - find their coffee only ok tbh
    Electric - actually do great coffee.. but not its not a coffee hours..
    Tiramisu - have not been yet but had a look in when passing - the wall paper would put me off - anyone else notice it? its v v v loud
    to be fair, thats a coffee house review rather than coffee review (although "best place for coffee" thread title could indicate that the place is more important than the coffee)

is there anywhere in Cork that has a regular standard cappuccino as you'd find it in Italy ?
    Not a 1litre mug of it, but a proper relatively small cup where the coffee to milk ratio allows you to actually taste the coffee.
    I'll be needing a fix next month when in town.

to be fair, thats a coffee house review rather than coffee review (although "best place for coffee" thread title could indicate that the place is more important than the coffee)

is there anywhere in Cork that has a regular standard cappuccino as you'd find it in Italy ?
    Not a 1litre mug of it, but a proper relatively small cup where the coffee to milk ratio allows you to actually taste the coffee.

em - the title of the thread The Best Place for Coffee in Cork..

Ok the coffee is the most important element - and I agree with that.. but the comfort of the premises is important too - to have a nice coffee out is a treat - and of course you want to have it somewhere appealing to you..

eg The bookshelf is my fav in terms of interior - but the coffee of late is not to my taste - hence I am not there as often as before..
    Alchemy - I love the coffee - and like the interior
    Butlers - love the coffee - not the most comfortable but its ok given that the coffee is so good..

And anyway, the title of the thread is not "the best cappuccino in cork".. maybe you should start a new thread for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Once again this comes back to personal taste, I've had coffee in Trieste, Rome and Venice and found it an absolutely vile bitter liquid.
    I spoke to an Italian guy a few months back at the Cork coffee weekend and he agreed with me that they are used to such a dark roast in Italy that when they are presented with anything else medium roasted or lighter it tastes like flavored milk to them.
    He's grown accustomed to the medium blend now that's popular around Cork and he says he dreads any time he has to go home now because of the bitter cup of acidity he's presented with.
    It's all a matter of each to their own and being open to trying different tastes and roasts without quickly dismissing anything that is a change from the norm.

My personal favourites in the city are Langford Row, Alchemy & Allys Kitchen.

Ballyseedy do a great coffee in the fota retail park but their cakes are astronomically over priced.

Jaspers in Cobh for a coffee but their cakes have deteriorated.

Montys and Farmgate in Midelton.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Italee cafe. They serve proper small cappuccino.

Sick of the buckets of coffee flavoured milk myself. I generally just go for a macchiato for consistency, although even that isnt safe if youre unlucky enough to wander in to Starbucks.

BeansBeans wrote: »
    Italee cafe. They serve proper small cappuccino.

On the ball. Hence why it's top of my list for a coffee.

kcb wrote: »
    On the ball. Hence why it's top of my list for a coffee.

yeah their coffee is fab - and i think i paid 2.60e for 2 americano's recently; as I was driving home, I wondered "man that must have undercharged me".. not been back since though to check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

sporina wrote: »
    yeah their coffee is fab - and i think i paid 2.60e for 2 americano's recently; as I was driving home, I wondered "man that must have undercharged me".. not been back since though to check it out

I think it's 1.60 for a regular Americano there. I get the large and an epic warm Danish for 3.70

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

if anyone is out west Inchigeelagh/Macroom.. the toonsbridge dairy coffee shop has great coffee.. and savage homemade cakes . ( also do right fancy pizza Sicilian style apparently)

if anyone is out west Inchigeelagh/Macroom.. the toonsbridge dairy coffee shop has great coffee.. and savage homemade cakes . ( also do right fancy pizza Sicilian style apparently)

this place is on my radar - passed it last weekend but we had to get home so didn't stop - next time defo..

was in Butlers today.. OMG that place is unreal... a constant queue.. i don't even know what beans they use - but i love it

• Advertisement

I see a new Coffee Shop on College Road, maybe 100 metres before The Rock bar on the right coming from UCC. Haven't been there but plan to.

Advertisement