Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for coffee in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Spotted that alright...Doppio?

Must give it a try.

Shout out for Orso's in town too - Pembroke St? Perhaps not perfect - but there are others close by who are far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭sporina

I was in Tiramisu the other day - lovely spot - nice coffee and the bikkie they give with it is fab.. and also the loyalty card is buy 5 get 6th free which is v good - most others are 7 or 9.. Its really bright and fresh.. v Italian - staff, music, food/drinks etc..
    It would not become my usual haunt - still prefer a coffee house vibe - its more like a cafe - and the coffee is good but prefer something with a bit more attitude (like the coffee's in Alchemy)..
    But its great - from an objective POV

blindsider wrote: »
    Spotted that alright...Doppio?

Must give it a try.

Yup, that's it.
    Think I'll pop in there this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Augeo wrote: »
    Yup, that's it.
    Think I'll pop in there this afternoon.

I've heard it's very good. Haven't been there myself but will probably pop in next weekend for a nose.

Loire wrote: »
    I've heard it's very good. Haven't been there myself but will probably pop in next weekend for a nose.

Actually ended up in Rio Café, Wellington Bridge. Doppio was closed I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 aidoatesa

A question for ye all.. If I were to grab a bag of beans from a coffeeshop round the city for the lil aeropress at home, what/where might ye recommend? Ta :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

aidoatesa wrote: »
    A question for ye all.. If I were to grab a bag of beans from a coffeeshop round the city for the lil aeropress at home, what/where might ye recommend? Ta :)

Mahers on Oliver Plunkett Street. Plenty of beans to choose from. They'll give you bean, ground, etc whatever you want.

I love the Sumatran blend but they have a huge choice and will be happy to talk you through strengths, etc.

€5 for 200g (I bought a bag earlier!!) and you can get bigger and smaller ones too. Only downside is they don't open Sundays!

That's your best option for a range of beans really. You can get bags of Badger & Dodo in a lot of places (Rocket Man, East, Bradley's on North Main Street), and Cork Coffee Roasters sell by the bag too in their cafes. The coffee place in the English Market sell by the bag too if you like their stuff.

I presume 3FE and Cloud Picker is available in the cafes that use those coffees but I've never checked.

it was coffee time with mate's today and we thought of going to Ali's Kitchen.. as we approached Paul St, I wondered if it was even open as they didn't seem to be must life around it.. and noticed how it is in a very inconspicuous spot..
    However we opened the door it was full full full..

We went for a dander and returned an hr later.. and yet again.. it was full as a can of beans..

Another time..

I am happy to see a new place so busy..

But it baffles me how all these cafe's in Cork can have so much business.. and Ali's is not obvious to passers by.. I wonder if her business is due to word of mouth/networked people or did it just get a rep? curious... but its great..

Mad to try it now.. lol..

We ended up in Dukes.. I rarely go there.. its ok.. not my usual coffee house vibe but staff are v friendly and the food looks good..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Filter, George's Quay would be your best bet, imo. Maher's carry a very large selection of beans but if freshness is a priority for you, it can be very hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Definitely Filter. It's like an Aunt Nelly's for coffee lovers.

On another note I had to try Italee on Thursday after I'd seen a few posters raving about it.
    First off the staff were very nice, you can tell it's a proper family run business.
    Next the prices! I don't know how they are paying rent with such low prices, a large cappuccino and a nutella biscuit cake was €3.50!
    But then that's where the pro's ended, the coffee was some of the worst I've ever drank, I mean absolutely putrid, it wasn't even that it was too bitter, I can't describe how bad it was only to say I left three quarters of my cup behind me, and for people who know me I don't leave coffee behind me.
    Starbucks, BB's, Gloria Jeans and Cork Coffee Roasters are all terrible IMO but I have never been unable to finish their coffees.
    The cake was OK the biscuit was a bit stale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Has anybody been to the new Costa Coffee out in Wilton?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

sporina wrote: »
    it was coffee time with mate's today and we thought of going to Ali's Kitchen.. as we approached Paul St, I wondered if it was even open as they didn't seem to be must life around it.. and noticed how it is in a very inconspicuous spot..
    However we opened the door it was full full full..

We went for a dander and returned an hr later.. and yet again.. it was full as a can of beans..

Another time..

I am happy to see a new place so busy..

But it baffles me how all these cafe's in Cork can have so much business.. and Ali's is not obvious to passers by.. I wonder if her business is due to word of mouth/networked people or did it just get a rep? curious... but its great..

Mad to try it now.. lol..

We ended up in Dukes.. I rarely go there.. its ok.. not my usual coffee house vibe but staff are v friendly and the food looks good..

Had exactly the same experience yesterday except we ended up going to Coffee Roasters on French Church St instead. You're spot on I absolutely need to go to Ali's Kitchen now to see what all the fuss is about :)

overmantle wrote: »

I'd imagine that it's remarkably similar to any other Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

overmantle wrote: »

Honestly, could they have made the sign outside the door any bigger? It's gonna blow away in a storm some night.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Was there yesterday to buy their beans, it's huge inside the biggest Costa I've seen.I think Ali's kitchen is overrated-served me cold coffee too

had coffee in a place on McCurtain street today - can't rem the exact name of it - its just down from the Metropole.. Hartleys cafe I think? Anyway its a nice place.. Badger and Dodo coffee - not very special but good.. nice setting though.. classical music on air.. books to read.. nice service - it was v quiet - at lunch time.. pity - as i liked it - but I guess its not in the most conspicuous spot,.. and there is no where to park in that street.. its not though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

another cafe set to open next Monday, read here from the Examiner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Best of luck to them. Sounds good and impressive that they are open 7am to 7pm, 7 days a week. A major improvement on their noisy neighbours Idaho who never seem to be open!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Warren Allen in Bandon is the bloody business! I had the most delicous waffles with bacon and honey there a few weeks ago. Gorgeous pastries, oh I am so delighted they are opening in Cork city too.

Yay! Hope they do well. :)

I wonder will Idaho be wishing them well on social media?
    They aren't a multinational, so, no problem there.
    It could be interesting.

• Advertisement

I wonder will Idaho be wishing them well on social media?
    They aren't a multinational, so, no problem there.
    It could be interesting.

I wished Warren Allen all the best on Twitter last week and tagged Idaho as they are always associating themselves with Dukes, Filter and the Coffee Quarter and 5 days later no reply or Like so I'm guessing they're not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I wished Warren Allen all the best on Twitter last week and tagged Idaho as they are always associating themselves with Dukes, Filter and the Coffee Quarter and 5 days later no reply or Like so I'm guessing they're not happy.

Brilliant, that's not surprising though!
    It's limited membership to the Cork Coffee Clique...

Anyone tried Harleys coffee house on McCurtain Street yet? Was there last week - v nice spot... lovely atm.. Badger and Dodo coffee.. homemade foodstuffs. friendly staff.. but v v quiet... only a few customers at lunch time.. shame..

went to the new Warren and Allen in the city over the weekend.. staff are friendly and the interior is bring but v v warm.. the coffee was not to my liking at all.. had a cake and tbh it tasted processed.. didn't have that homemade taste - and its quiet €.. its not for me.. but others might like it... staff do seem lovely though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Called into Warren Allen today, didn't try the coffee now I had a chai latte it was delish! My companion said her latte was tops and she's into her coffee. I'll be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Has Rocketman been mentioned yet? I went into their small one in the old Winthrop Arcade, I think it's called EAST. Beautiful place to sit and watch people go by but the I wish they used real cups!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fabio wrote: »
    Has Rocketman been mentioned yet? I went into their small one in the old Winthrop Arcade, I think it's called EAST. Beautiful place to sit and watch people go by but the I wish they used real cups!!!

Love the food and the coffee there. Badger & Dodo and Golden Bean is what they use isn't it?

Would highly recommend either way!

had coffee in ORSO the other day - divine coffee.. The Green Bean I think

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

anyone know where you can buy a bag of Green Bean ground coffee in Cork?

• Advertisement

jadie wrote: »
    anyone know where you can buy a bag of Green Bean ground coffee in Cork?

Filter have a great selection of Green Bean, Badger & Dodo and 3fe that they will grind for you.

Advertisement