Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to take pictures after moving out

Options
  • 18-10-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I moved out of rented accomodation 2 weeks ago.

The landlord has since informed me that she will be deducting some of my deposit to repatint a wall. I feel this wall was in perfect condition when I moved out.

Do I have the right to view the wall in question in order to take photographs or can the landlord refuse me permission to do so?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Tell her fine, but first:

1) You'll require photographic evidence that the wall is damaged beyond normal wear and tear. e.g if you put a hole in it (which would require more than a lick of paint anyway) etc

2) You will require an official VAT receipt on headed notepaper of the contractor that she commissions to "repair" the wall in question, for the exact amount that she wants to deduct. Receipt will require full details of contractor business name, address, Bus. reg no and VAT no.

Send this to her in an email/letter, stating that unless she can supply the above, it is not a legitimate deduction and you will take it to the PRTB.

Alternatively, tell her to p**s off and stop being a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

How long were you living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

How long were you living there?

Thanks for the replies.

Had lived there for 12 months, the house had not been freshly painted before moving in.

I had taken pictures of most of the house when moving out but unfortunately not the wall in question. All of the pics I took show the house in spotless condition

Edit for spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

He has to provide proof of damage and costs otherwise has to return the deposit. You have no right to re-enter the property

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    He has to provide proof of damage and costs otherwise has to return the deposit. You have no right to re-enter the property
    What is a reasonable time frame to wait for the proof of damage and cost before going to the prtb?

We moved out 12 days ago and will be receiving a portion of our deposit today.

• Advertisement

A repaint should be standard after a 12 month tenancy, it's part of normal wear and tear. Inform her you will be taking the case to the PRTB as it shouldn't be taken out of your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

See if you can resolve it with the landlord by phone. Explain that you're prepared to dispute the charge with the PRTB, that you have photos showing the condition of the apartment and that a repaint is part of normal wear and tear.

Advise that you will be engaging a solicitor to prepare your submission to the PRTB and that you will pursue the landlord for all costs (including your time).

Be firm and professional on the phone, and insistent. Give them 7 days to return your deposit and that if you haven't recieved it by then that you will start the PRTB process.

Send the above to them by email or letter immediately after the phone call and just wait for the cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

A repaint should be standard after a 12 month tenancy, it's part of normal wear and tear. Inform her you will be taking the case to the PRTB as it shouldn't be taken out of your deposit.

Not so; a painted wall should last more than a year's tenancy - at least two or three years. My house is currently in its fifth year of painted walls and no need of a repaint yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah, sounds like the landlord is chancing their arm.

Normal wear and tear is not something that you should pay for!

odds_on wrote: »
    Not so; a painted wall should last more than a year's tenancy - at least two or three years. My house is currently in its fifth year of painted walls and no need of a repaint yet!

It wasn't painted before the tenancy

Have you or people moved all their belongings in and out in that time? Yes Walls can stay clean but one wall being marked over the course of a year where someone has moved in and out is standard

• Advertisement
Advertisement