Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When the body says stop...

• 18-10-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Ya know the feeling, you have sparred hard, you taken a few knocks. Maybe you have been unlucky and are trying to comeback from being winded. The inevitable punch shyness creeps in etc. When you are tired how do you reach down to keep going?

Reason I ask is because I got into a chat with a lad in the pub, who was watching MMA on the telly, and I let it be known that I do it myself. SO he was curious as to how we find the balls and grit to see it through to the bell.

Me? My body goes on auto-drive, and "Ill deal with the pain/tiredness after the fight". So my way is delay the fatigue mentally and or the pain too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Some man up-othere give up

Its really that simple.

"Get up ya bum, cause Mickey loves ya"

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

cowzerp wrote: »
    "Get up ya bum, cause Mickey loves ya"

Sounds like a chat up you would hear in the George!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Because regardless its still damn fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Cause of the slagging you'd get off the lads if you gave up when you could win

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ya know the feeling, you have sparred hard, you taken a few knocks. Maybe you have been unlucky and are trying to comeback from being winded. The inevitable punch shyness creeps in etc. When you are tired how do you reach down to keep going?

Reason I ask is because I got into a chat with a lad in the pub, who was watching MMA on the telly, and I let it be known that I do it myself. SO he was curious as to how we find the balls and grit to see it through to the bell.

Me? My body goes on auto-drive, and "Ill deal with the pain/tiredness after the fight". So my way is delay the fatigue mentally and or the pain too.
    Because it's what your trained to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

empacher wrote: »
    Cause of the slagging you'd get off the lads if you gave up when you could win

U mean am not the only one :p

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Because knowing your a quitter would hurt more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    Some man up-othere give up

Its really that simple.

+1.

I don't fight MMA, but three weeks ago I competed (Judo), I'd six fights on the day and lost every one of them.

When I went three down I dug in a little deeper, at four and five I was still positive - I knew I wasn't Judo sharp on the day (I'd trained only BJJ & some MMA and no judo) and I knew I was having a pox of a day, however I knew I was fit & strong.

I'd confidence that the training I'd put in with the lads in RFA wouldn't let me down and I stayed positive, all the time thinking if I win just one fight my day would turn.

Five down, and honestly I repeated my signature here (below) to myself and went out thinking - win this one and your taking away a win - I lost lol.

In competition I'd never give up, but in training there has to come a point at which your taking too much punishment and have to weigh off injuries which would put you out for a few days, or put you out of a competition which is looming - this isn't giving up, this is using common sense.

Good thread OP.

Advertisement